Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445nm laser on CO2 powered air cannon. POW!

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A NOVELTY ITEM; NEVER POINTED AT ANYONE OR ANYTHING

This beast has taken some time and effort but it's quite possible one of the craziest things I have ever built....;)
8792-image.jpg

It fires wine corks, but the coolest thing is that it loads from the breech so there is no ram "rodding" the barrel. The barrel also floats so it can be retracted to secure to the threaded ball valve(firing system).
8793-image.jpg

The CO2 cylinder is a basic 14oz paintball cylinder ^^ and of course comes off to be refilled. The valve on top I open and close to pressurize cylinder in the butt stock VV which has a gauge so I can set my desired pressure. ALSO I put a T in so if I want to use a bicycle pump I can. The laser is hooked up to a pressure switch that Velcros to the grip.
8794-image.jpg

Everything is stainless so it will not rust, except for the main steel cylinder which has been welded with a 309ss wire to be compatible w/ carbon steel.
(note the manifold system off the cylinder for the tee and gauge)

The laser- an M140 445. it's measured at 1.9W:beer:
it actually might be a little too bright.
8795-image.jpg

Thank you! It has been fun. So far in testing it has been on target but might need to tweak a little more later cya!
Jefferson

I kinda want one....

Good job, like the decal "have zombie insurance?"

Lol

:beer:

Last edited:

Tmack

So what have you been putting in front of the corks?!? Marbles? Steel slugs? Nails? Lol
Awesome project. And velocity predictions?

I need to find someone with a chronograph, maybe the local paintball store where I bought most of those parts but I pressurize it to about 180 psi. It sends a potato core over 100yards easy. I tested a cork with a spike and it passed through plywood. Rubber stoppers work well too. I'll post some pictures to this thread when I get a chance:)

Tmack

What type of actuator are you using for instant pressure release. Or rather what method all together?

What type of actuator are you using for instant pressure release. Or rather what method all together?

Originally I wanted to use a 12V pneumatic solenoid charged by the front CO2 cylinder. That would then open a one inch ball valve instantly releasing the gas in the reservoir instantly. I started to look at prices. New the solenoid and valve came as a pair for about $300 and the pneumatic solenoid gas had to be regulated. I had it designed to work and had the regulator but 300 was a bit high for my price range. So before giving in and buying that stuff I tried a cheap alternative: I put an ergo grip on the valve handle, lengthened the barrel to allow more time for pressure build up, increased the pressure in the reservoir and opened the valve manually.
It actually doesn't affect accuracy because there is a fore grip and a butt stock for support.
I first liked the idea of pulling a trigger to open the solenoid but this method works fine. I can't seem to add the photos from my iPhone hmm

Tmack

I've always wanted to build one but the need for the pneumatic actuator and it's price stopped me. So a valve is quick enough for rapid pressure release huh. Maybe I'm back up to it again. :D

W used to take a "cheetah" tire beading tool and load golf balls into it. 150 psi, and a lever valve was enough then, but I figured the power was making up for a not so instant pressure release. Man mind is racing now lol.

Last edited:
I've always wanted to build one but the need for the pneumatic actuator and it's price stopped me. So a valve is quick enough for rapid pressure release huh. Maybe I'm back up to it again. :D

W used to take a "cheetah" tire beading tool and load golf balls into it. 150 psi, and a lever valve was enough then, but I figured the power was making up for a not so instant pressure release. Man mind is racing now lol.

Ya I came to the conclusion that with a longer barrel and high pressure counters a slower gas release.
one other idea I had~
Take the handle off the valve and hook up some type of torque spring so when you pull the trigger it would release a catch on the spring causing the spring to twist the ball valve open very rapidly. After you would just have to recock the spring.
Of course all this ^ would require some creative rigging but It can be done.
If you do build something like this consider using the paint ball co2 cylinders, they're cheap to refill($3) and I get about 30-40 shots depending on my desired psi. However I DON'T have a PRV(pressure relief valve) but it's a good idea. The psi in the cylinder is around 800(the guy at the store told me) but my fittings and welds are rated substantially higher then that so I'm not concerned.

I wish I had the tubing in the diameter for golf balls. Cheap, heavy, always the same size, available...perfect projectile. My girlfriends dad is currently in the process of making a mortar that fires large bowling balls...that is a bit much if you ask me. :drool:

Tmack

Lol yeah I've seen those. Quite pricey.

And we are on the same page with the spring engaged valve. I was thinking almost like a high tension spring holding it open to let the gas escape more rapidly. And use a bow release like trigger. So it would be pulled back closed under high pressure, and the trigger would release the spring. Basically the same as your idea. And yeah that would take some serious "rigging" .

I think that would work too, in regards to rigging that's half the fun having your ideas come together to work. Building it the way you want it Not a manufacturers blueprint.

Same here. Definitely subscribe to walk quietly, but carry a big stick here.

Fun creation there. Do the corks loose speed or tumble fast?