Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445nm blue diodes

Benm

Too bad industrial quantities are often really large. I think i could easily sell 1000 blu ray diodes, but no supplier would be interested even in those quantities. By the time you order 100.000 of them it becomes interesting to them, but where would you sell all those? ;)

lazer

I dont know but I read this in a magine article a while a go and it seems like there would be a market for these diodes because if you combine these blue diodes with some red and green diodes supposedly you could make ultra small projectors. The projectors would be small enough to fit in a cell phone allowing you to watch movies on a "screen" many times bigger than the phone.

they're doing that already. Some cellphone will be the first here pretty soon. They use much tinier diodes for it though... I'll find the article about it and post it sometime. but this isn't the thread for it. You are completely right about the market for them though. It SHOULD increase at some point. But with the way that the US ecnomy looks, not many investors are willing to look into laser tech for now. :/

The violet diode is the most expensive component of any Blu-Ray or HD-DVD sled that we buy. I don't think people quite realize just how expensive these things are to make, they're a lot harder and MUCH more expensive to make than red or IR diodes, by a longshot. It's a whole different material system, and a whole different world from the materials standpoint, from the red and IR diodes.

It costs a few thousand dollars for a company like Nichia to make one single 2" wafer of diodes. How many diodes can you get out of a single 2" wafer? Not many, and we're literally talking thousands of dollars per wafer. Plus, the farther you get from 405nm into blue or green, you need to be switching to non-polar GaN. I'm purely just guessing, but I'm guessing these diodes aren't on non-polar GaN, but you need non-polar GaN for better performance, ESPECIALLY as get into blue and green and away from violet. Going from polar to non-polar GaN, you go from a 2" wafer to substrates that are not that much bigger than your thumbnail and cost even more money per diode.

$5 per diode? No way, not that cheap. It's really impossible to know exactly how much one costs from a certain manufacturer. They'll never reveal their yields (meaning working diodes per wafer) because of competition, they'll never reveal their actual supply costs (cost of substrate being one of the biggest) because their competitors are buying from the same places and everyone is competing on that, so we'll never actually know the real price of a diode. Oh, and in addition to the thousands of dollars per wafer of incremental costs during manufacturing, you're looking at millions of dollars of capital outlay before you can start manufacturing, so you have to start recouping those costs as well.

It's an amazing thing we get violet diodes as cheaply as we do. Someone, somewhere, is losing money on every single PHR that we buy, no question about it.

I dont know but I read this in a magine article a while a go and it seems like there would be a market for these diodes because if you combine these blue diodes with some red and green diodes supposedly you could make ultra small projectors. The projectors would be small enough to fit in a cell phone allowing you to watch movies on a "screen" many times bigger than the phone.

That's the goal, and it will be awesome, once green laser diodes actually exist. Once green diodes exist, and once green and blue get to the point that they're actually cost-effective to manufacture, laser TVs and laser projectors will happen very quickly. And it'll be awesome. But right now, no green lasers and the economics of it make it pretty much impossible.

HIMNL9

^No.

Probably you can just find a transflective LCD module in an optic that follow the principle of the diapositive projector, with a super-bright phosphor led as light source.

Sorry to ruin your hope, but in the actual mini-projectors, it works in this way :)

Doc

^No.

Probably you can just find a transflective LCD module in an optic that follow the principle of the diapositive projector, with a super-bright phosphor led as light source.

Sorry to ruin your hope, but in the actual mini-projectors, it works in this way :)

The problem with this method is focus, minature laser projectors are being developed as focus is not an issue and brightness is far better.

Well I think I'll give it another year or so before I look into buying a blue. As awesome as they are, I would hate to spend hundreds on one now when they will be like $20 in the future.

Been there -- done that --- What's the rock bottom price for a BLUE (not Blu) ???

Mike

wow I would love to have a Blue laser that could be left on for say an hour
with proper heatsinking of course -i have the perfect host for this diode it's just till the$$$ comes down 300% im screwed ok edit maybe 150%

Last edited:
John L --
Congrats -- you've admitted to a problem. I won't ;-0
I was doing this before it was a hobby.

Mike

Benm

It's an amazing thing we get violet diodes as cheaply as we do. Someone, somewhere, is losing money on every single PHR that we buy, no question about it.

Perhaps, if anyone is losing money over it, it's probably the content companies trying to push the bluray format. This is usually good news for consumers getting items for less then their part costs, similar to people using game consoles as pc's back in the day.

Too bad its not likely a similar scenario would develop for real blue or even green diodes. I suppose that if anything like this is to happen again, it would be deeper into the uv creating a new, even more dense generation of data carriers. I doubt the technology is out there yet, but who knows what another 10 years will bring. There are also concepts for holographic discs, some involve very powerful (watt level) green lasers, which could be interesting :)

Last edited: