Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

405nm Pen from Etimeshop (Ebay)

Intro

After seeing several reviews of this consistently overspec laser (it's marked as 5mW), and because I've been wanting a 405nm laser for a while, I decided to go for it. I think the laser came in about 8 days; it's hard to remember, I ordered it a couple months ago.
Link: 5mW 405nm Violet Purple Blue Beam Laser Pointer Pen - eBay (item 350348661614 end time May-31-10 10:13:31 PDT

IMG_4428.jpg

IMG_4433.jpg

IMG_4434.jpg

Packaging

The laser actually came in a letter envelope, inside of a thin bubble wrap sleeve. Nothing too special here. The laser might have been damaged if dropped onto concrete, but mine was in perfect working condition and looked fine. Despite that, and because of the poor packaging, I'll give shipping a 6.5/10.

General Look/Feel

Nothing special here either; just your typical New Wish pen host. The laser feels heavy, sturdy, and generally good quality. There were no defects on the outside. I like the blue sticker. :)

IMG_4440.jpg

Compared to Rayfoss FLX:
IMG_4453.jpg

With the adjusted clicky cap:
IMG_4457.jpg

Beam/Output

At $9.19 shipped, these things are a steal! Others have measured all the lasers between 35 and 55mW, so that's where I'm assuming mine is. I have no definite way of telling, besides the fact that the laser can burn dark wood and sting skin focused. This is quite an unfair comparison, but... 125mW on the right.

IMG_4462.jpg

Just the fact that it's a 405nm makes it hard to determine output. But the divergence on this is really amazing. The beam is about 2mm at aperture, and less than 3mm at 20 feet! Well under 1mRad. The beam appears to be an oval shape up close.

IMG_4767-1.jpg

IMG_4776-1.jpg

IMG_4777-1.jpg

Strange glare:
IMG_4785-1.jpg

My 4' glow board:
IMG_4500.jpg

Florescent golf balls:
IMG_4919.jpg

Bottom Line

I'll say it now: if you don't have a 405nm laser, get this one now! I would have paid much more than $9 for it. This thing is so fun to play with. Even if you already have a BR build, I would recommend this as a pointer. (Yes Niko, you can write it down as a positive review.)

Superb photos-:thanks: best review on these so far. +rep you later-

Etime just responed to my question of these being the same as those sold for the past year- they got back quick-- exactly same.

All five of mine are still OK. and overspec.- 6 months occasional use. Hak:D

geiger

Just one questions,I noticed the person in the picture,who does not wear a protect glasses.But it is safe for the eyes?Sry for my uncertain

Wow, awsome review dude!
Although, should it not be in "Reviews"Section, instead of Bluray section?

Stinging skin with bluray points it to around 30 to 40 mW - it's really hard to tell.
If focused down with external lens, it should be able to ignite a match with a lot of trouble...

Anyway- it's a great review and great pics, if you don't mind me asking how come the FLX does not have the tailcap threaded all the way in , in size comparison photo? Don't tell me the compartment is too small for the battery, I've seen that happen and it's not nice...

Wow, awsome review dude!
Although, should it not be in "Reviews"Section, instead of Bluray section?

Stinging skin with bluray points it to around 30 to 40 mW - it's really hard to tell.
If focused down with external lens, it should be able to ignite a match with a lot of trouble...

Anyway- it's a great review and great pics, if you don't mind me asking how come the FLX does not have the tailcap threaded all the way in , in size comparison photo? Don't tell me the compartment is too small for the battery, I've seen that happen and it's not nice...

Oh, I thought this was the reviews section! I was tired when I wrote this... I'll try to get it moved. I'm using a protected battery with the FLX, and it was designed for a non-protected battery. So yeah, it won't screw in any more than that. :(

Just one questions,I noticed the person in the picture,who does not wear a protect glasses.But it is safe for the eyes?Sry for my uncertain

It's all controlled, I set up the beam with goggles, and there were no reflections. So as long as you don't stare at the dot up close, you will be fine. 30-50mW is still a "pointer" and you cannot get any eye damage from anything but reflections.

The GITH cover is available as a replacement tailcap for DX lights. If you cut the inside piece off, it will slide right over the end of the laser and act as an effective dust cap.

I'm setting up some fog tonight, so if I happen to get any better shots I'll put them up. ;)

About cutting off the inside, I had to do that with my greenie, it's a bit too large so you can't get the cap all the way down, but it works ;)

PS: Any beam visibility at night? OR in really dark areas? THANKS! I'm getting one this weekend! I'm so stoked!

Well, you can see a very dim line in total darkness or high humidity, but it's almost zero beam visibility. But as you can see, it shows up perfectly with a little fog. The second beam shot shows that best.

I forgot to mention, anybody who doesn't own 405nm, know that my camera does make the color look much bluer than it looks in person.

Have you tried shinning it on an older HD TV (not the plasma LCD's) When I do on mine, it doesn't leave it glowing, but it leaves a trail.

Have you tried shinning it on an older HD TV (not the plasma LCD's) When I do on mine, it doesn't leave it glowing, but it leaves a trail.

What's the difference? But no, I haven't tried it. I have, however, tried an older glass TV screen, and it leaves a faint white line. I've found so many phosphorescent things in my house, that aren't even supposed to be glow in the dark! It's fun.

It leaves a trail that glows for a second or two, I mean it doesn't leave it glowing like with normal glow in the dark objects.

And yeah, it's a glass screen, one of the big bulky ones, but not a REALLY old one. It's a JVC I' Art PRO.

Last edited:
I had actually ordered one of these before reading the review and today, the day after reading this, mine arrived. And I just happened to order from etimeshop too, I hadnt heard anything about them being overspec. They are pretty nice lasers.

Wish I had more sense though because now my phone's camera has a few permanent dark squiggles! I damaged the ccd a little bit. Not much but enough to notice. I was aware that strong lasers could damage the ccd's pixels but I didnt think this laser would be strong enough. Oh well. Nice laser though.:)

It really is hard to tell with these things. Mine is about the same brightness as a 2mW green laser, maybe less.