Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

405 pen at 125mA

hydro

PHR-803T LD on 2 10440 3.6V running at 125mA pen pointer.  These LD are great and not a bad price either.  I have another in a Dorcy Metal Gear running at 100mA but this is much smaller and at a higher mA too.  

Attachments

• BR_125mA_Web_s.jpg
    BR_125mA_Web_s.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 86

hydro

I thought so too but it is still kicking. I'm thinking of making another at an even higher mA but I need to find a different host. This one has no heatsink and it does get a little warm after 2 minutes time. I was thinking of making another Dorcy Metal Gear if I can't find anything else. This host is an old 5mW greeenie that I took apart for the shell.

I cant for the life of me figure out how to get the internals out of that laser. They wont budge. How did you do it? This is the same as cheap ebay and dx lasers, right?

Here's a Kryton at 190 mA ;D
Where will it end ??

Mike

Attachments

• Blu3.jpg
    Blu3.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 85
This is a challenge by wannaburn -- I just cranked it to the max of my junkbox driver. I need to add a soft start and more current now.

I didn't graph it -- but I will.

Mike

Mike... that is amazing. When shining it on a white surface, can you barely begin to make out the edges of the die to the left and right of the dot itself?

Mine peaked at 142mw with a horrible lens. I have a much better one now, but the power meter had to go back ;D

Hopefully I'll have my own power meter here in the next couple weeks :cool:

hydro

360freak said:
I cant for the life of me figure out how to get the internals out of that laser. They wont budge. How did you do it? This is the same as cheap ebay and dx lasers, right?

I started by pulling out the electronic piece by piece with pliers. Then I took a stick put it in the battery end while griping it started to pound it on the floor until it pushes the cap off. This was not easy, it took me a while but it came out and there you have it a nice host with a painful red palm.

hydro

GooeyGus said:
Mike... that is amazing. When shining it on a white surface, can you barely begin to make out the edges of the die to the left and right of the dot itself?

Mine peaked at 142mw with a horrible lens. I have a much better one now, but the power meter had to go back  ;D

Hopefully I'll have my own power meter here in the next couple weeks  :cool:

How much current are you runing and is this metere with or without a lens? I just finish another one at 164mA and ran it for about 30 seconds but it got warm really fast. It is in a Dorcy Metal Gear with heatsink. I do not have a power meter so I have no idea what it is at but I think I will run it as is for a few days then adjust the pot a little more.

hydro said:
[quote author=GooeyGus link=1211868420/0#10 date=1212207602]Mike... that is amazing. When shining it on a white surface, can you barely begin to make out the edges of the die to the left and right of the dot itself?

Mine peaked at 142mw with a horrible lens. I have a much better one now, but the power meter had to go back  ;D

Hopefully I'll have my own power meter here in the next couple weeks  :cool:

How much current are you runing and is this metere with or without a lens?  I just finish another one at 164mA and ran it for about 30 seconds but it got warm really fast.  It is in a Dorcy Metal Gear with heatsink. I do not have a power meter so I have no idea what it is at but I think I will run it as is for a few days then adjust the pot a little more.  [/quote]

Which diode are you using? The 6x burner or the PHR-803T from the xbox HD sleds?

I'm using the 6x burner diode (which can now be found on newegg for around $260). It is running at 151mA and puts out 142mW after an aixiz acrylic. This was using the kenometer. Mind you, that lens was horrible. Dark_horse actually gave me a new lens today at work that looks about ten times better. I wouldn't be surprised if its over 150mW now. Mine is in a kryton barrel, and it takes quite a while for the head to even begin to feel warmer than my hand at all. Usually at around 1 minute I will begin to be able to feel the metal slightly warm up.

hydro

Gooey....My second and last 6x. Just took this apart to double check the driver and for some rason the LM317T is heating up really fast. I think it is shorting out some where because my other ones does not get this hot. The good news is the 6X LD is still good.