Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

4.2watt 650nm laser

I was going to suggest that it would be better with a FAC lens, but Red beat me to it. I don't think $300 each for six is an especially good price considering the quantity. What would you do with six? I would have no reason to have that many and then the work of selling them individually would fall to me. I would pass on this one, Chris.

My 660nm reds take no more than 3v so if there putting out 4w at what 33% efficiency est.......4a driver at 3v, I wonder if a LED driver would work, many of them are 3v.....otherwise you will need drivers if you want to get a good price from a bigger pool of buyers, many people have no idea how to build driver.

If you put them into housings with drivers so the buyer only needs 3 x 18650/26650 cells, heck battery holders are cheap, if you made them turn key then you would have a better chance of selling them, but right now is seemingly not a good time for sales, lot of auctions starting back up on ebay, I'm watching a 7A75 with 2 hours to go that's at $36.00 and says it's new but has tin pins. Refurb NUBM05 is at $16.00 and New osram 50mw 520nm is at $9.00 ......funny this should be income tax refund season.

Funny thing I am not easily finding 4 or 5w 660 reds, I suppose most projectors are using 638/635

Here's what this one is selling for > https://www.civillaser.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=257

Last edited:

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
I don't think I'd want to risk one of these diodes with an LED driver. If I was going to spend $300 on one of these I'd spend a few more $ to get (or build) a good CC driver with nice clean output.

Yea, especially with them being advertised as fragile/sensitive. :beer:

To be honest I haven't even scoped any of the LED drivers, there's some people who use them, could be a simple mod, but again I have not, I like the protections that are built into the SXD.

Last edited:
Yes, they have a low Vf, but LED drivers are notorious for having spikes and noise, which this diode wouldn't like. I might put one in a lab style and drive it like Drake did his. I would hate to lose it in a HH for not removing the waste heat fast enough.

I was going to suggest that it would be better with a FAC lens, but Red beat me to it. I don't think $300 each for six is an especially good price considering the quantity. What would you do with six? I would have no reason to have that many and then the work of selling them individually would fall to me. I would pass on this one, Chris.

Agreed.

I'm in Qatar right now, not sure I can import it here if I wanted to do so. Although, the idea of having two does appeal.

Hope you enjoy the video, you didn’t even turn it on and man it would have been so much nicer with a round machined heatsink, Epoxied in so it dosnt even come out anymore yes.

Oh and it’s not even as bright as a 1w 638, I don’t know man!

Last edited:
I'm curious how the fan on the lab host is pulling air through to keep the diode from overheating. If it has no passage to the back, it seems unlikely it is doing what it was intended to do.

Hope you enjoy the video, you didn’t even turn it on and man it would have been so much nicer with a round machined heatsink, Epoxied in so it dosnt even come out anymore yes.

Oh and it’s not even as bright as a 1w 638, I don’t know man!

I use the 8A driver ,not epoxied fiberglass sorry,It is brighter then a 1w, will make video showing the 2 soon new world record :shhh: