Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

4.2W 465nm NUBM07E on Cypreus II XL 24k Gold Plated !

Hello everyone!
So I decided to cannibalize my "old" 462 nm 1.7W and recovery the awesome host to use with this stunning diode.
I never imagine to have a so beautiful color with a so powerful output in a so fantastic host :bowdown:
Here is the full story:

Assembling the switch:

avIsTS.jpg

CqtUtN.jpg

yF49xQ.jpg

Soldering a neodimium gold plated disc on the top on the spring to maximize the battery contact:

fJkUq7.jpg

Inserting a piece of acetate foil into the host barrel to avoid battery shakes and rattles:

UmEZQd.jpg

All the parts ready to be soldered and assembled:

79s3Fa.jpg

Placing the driver into the heatsink and soldering the washers:

U8D3b7.jpg

Assembling the heatsink:

Q47twV.jpg

Connecting, soldering and thermal gluing the driver to the heatsink:

7srueZ.jpg

The host fully assembled:

r72iDl.jpg

The host clamped on Manfrotto tripod:

xhIVyE.jpg

The diode performance on three elements glass lenses : :)drool: )

LDuVKy.jpg

The awesome beamshot:

YWFLQ8.jpg

Conclusions:
the output power with three elements glass lenses is impressive, far beyond my best expectations!
I used LG INR 18650 3000 mAh 20A high draining cells, that is a must for such kinds of current hungry diodes
(the driver is set at 4.5A).
The divergence in the slow axis is a bit more of the NDB7675 1.4W 462nm diode.
This diode generate really a lot of heat! Also the Cypreus II XL has difficult to manage such power: at 26 °C room temperature the heatsink become warm (near hot) after 90 seconds, so I suppose that 60 seconds runtime should be a good time for such host in summer time.
During winter season surely the time can be almost doubled.
As the graph shows, there is an noticeable loss of power as the heatsink warm up.
Despite the not-ideal working conditions (high temperature, pushed near the knee and without protective can), this diode seems to be very strong and show a really beautiful light blue beam.
This is surely the diode of the year.
Thanks one more time to DTR and Sinner!

Richard.

Last edited:

Very nice, I believe this color is going to be my favorite, I should have my new diode tomorrow!

Dam. Show me some solder tips and pics. I may have broke mine stuffing wires inside like that. Tell me what you know.

gozert

Looks good! Your builds always amaze me. At what current have you set the driver?

On a side note, one of the pics isn't working. Damn you imageshack and your itunes advertisements.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
This was an impressive build the first time around, now, even more so, great job! :beer:
That is a great beam shot you've got there, beautiful wavelength indeed.

Eracoy

Awesome host, diode, and build. Have you had a chance to compare the color with your 462 yet, or is that diode still in limbo without a body?

Hi and thanks for the +REP :na:

x Laserbeamk: it is a little bit complicated to do solderings and place cables
in the tiny Cypreus host.
I use DTR modules pre-wired with driver. The simplest way is to cut the wires
from diode to driver at the center of its lenght, then glue the driver and insert the diode,
and then solder the wires again and protect it with thermal tubing.
Always use silicon wires because they are very flexible and heat resistant.
Please be aware that the bare diode is discharge sensitive, so be carefull when handle it!

x Gozert: sorry I forgot to mention it: 4.5A :beer: .. All the pics are online, I do not see any issue!

x CDbeam777: I know You worked hard in the paste to reduce the output line in the multimode diode.
It is possible to create a sort of tube extension for my builds with mounted inside the needed corrective optics?

x Eracoy: my 462 diode is alone inside an antistatic bag :eek: ... I wish to sell it at half of the original price. If anyone want it, it is available. It has less than an hour of working time ...

Last edited:
Hi and thanks for the +REP :na:

x Laserbeamk: it is a little bit complicated to do solderings and place cables
in the tiny Cypreus host.
I use DTR modules pre-wired with driver. The simplest way is to cut the wires
from diode to driver at the center of its lenght, then glue the driver and insert the diode,
and then solder the wires again and protect it with thermal tubing.
Always use silicon wires because they are very flexible and heat resistant.
Please be aware that the bare diode is discharge sensitive, so be carefull when handle it!

x Gozert: sorry I forgot to mention it: 4.5A :beer: .. All the pics are online, I do not see any issue!

x CDbeam777: I know You worked hard in the paste to reduce the output line in the multimode diode.
It is possible to create a sort of tube extension for my builds with mounted inside the needed corrective optics?

x Eracoy: my 462 diode is alone inside an antistatic bag :eek: ... I wish to sell it at half of the original price. If anyone want it, it is available. It has less than an hour of working time ...

Yes...It is do-able....kinda like a beam expander tube....with three + three set screws to lock the tube in place. I must note that on this LD...cylindrical optics are demanded.....see the Sky Blue Ramjet build thread in the Experimental area !......SO....the LD Slow axis must be in the correct radial orientation to the Cylindrical lens set.

So....this tube one clamps on the build would have the Cylindrical lens optics ... inside.... could be done....4 sure !!:beer::beer::beer:

Hey nice build, that color is amazing isn't it.
If you would, please keep track of your output over time so we can compile data on these new diodes.