Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

$35 80mW Peak 473nm Module from eBay

I picked up 9 of those broken 10mW rated CNI 473nm modules off eBay to try to learn the magic of DPSS crystal realignment. After scrapping one and attempting to fix 8, here are my meter results of the modules (after several minutes of warmup).

0mW (oops, killed that one), 7mW, 9mW, 10mW, 14mW, 23mW, 27mW, and 50mW.

I documented the repair of the one that peaks at 80mW and settles to 50mW.

Here is the video of basically what you have to do to fix those eBay modules:

I highly recommend one of these modules to any hobbyist that has even remotely considered trying DIY DPSS lasers. It's fairly easy once you get the hang of and it's cheap. Watch out for the exposed line voltage though, I got zapped because I wasn't being very careful.

Big thanks to wannaburn for walking me through my first alignment. He is the expert on these modules. :D Wannaburn, if you ever need a YouTube promo video or something for your company, I'd be happy to help. :)

I'll probably sell most of these repaired modules, if you are interested let me know.

ARG

I might be interested. How much will they be once repaired?

JLSE

Great to see :D They are a fun little project with an excellent reward when you
get them going..

I had started with 532 DPSS and bonded crystal sets, these labbies taught me
a lot.. :san: There is a huge difference of reading and understanding the concept,
it is a completely different thing to get your 'hands dirty' and actually make it work.

I will keep the video in mind.. So long as it doesnt involve one of my lasers
and the 'hammer mod' lol.

:beer:

*EDIT

You can also try fitting a 3 element aixiz glass lens to fix up the beam.. It will help with the
divergence and not take away much power, if any.

Last edited:
Woah awesome!

How difficult was it to realign the optics? i've never messed with that before.

+1 :beer:

Can you share instructions or even a video on how to correct the alignment properly? I've heard several people doing this but never actually got my hands on one to try and fix them.

Last edited:
These are great modules and the price you just can't beat!
I think I'v bought 4 or the $35 ones and for that short time he had "dead" ones for $20 and I picked up 4 of those too.
Mostly I picked them up for the prism pair and the mount for C-mount diodes. I figured if everything was no good at least I got a nice mounted prism pair for $35!
I still have two of the "okay" ones and one more of the "dead" ones.

As Silvershot asked, perhaps you would be willing to post a bit more on your process of re-aligning these before I dive into just moving bits around and hope it all works out.

Thanks for the video though! It got me re-interested in these units I have sitting around.:beer:

JLSE

^^ Even the dead ones can turn out to be good.. Dont discount them until
you check them inside. Like I mentioned in the other thread, the TEC's have been
found broken in 2, if this is the case the alignment goes right out the door
all the while they just need to be re mounted.

Can you share instructions or even a video on how to correct the alignment properly? I've heard several people doing this but never actually got my hands on one to try and fix them.
For realignment of this laser, start by turning the laser on and letting it have a long warmup before touching anything. Next loosen each optic mount, one at a time, and move them around and try to find the optimal position for the mount. The easiest way to do this is have the beam going into a power meter to show when power is at it's max. Do this with several of the optics and see what kind of output you can get from it. This whole process is pretty easy.

Some modules will not give you any increase in power, and some modules will give you a great increase in power.

Great to see :D They are a fun little project with an excellent reward when you
get them going..

I had started with 532 DPSS and bonded crystal sets, these labbies taught me
a lot.. :san: There is a huge difference of reading and understanding the concept,
it is a completely different thing to get your 'hands dirty' and actually make it work.

I will keep the video in mind.. So long as it doesnt involve one of my lasers
and the 'hammer mod' lol.

:beer:

*EDIT

You can also try fitting a 3 element aixiz glass lens to fix up the beam.. It will help with the
divergence and not take away much power, if any.

Thanks for the help! I tend to avoid the hammer when it comes to DPSS lasers, especially >5mW.

Woah awesome!

How difficult was it to realign the optics? i've never messed with that before.

+1 :beer:
It's was surprisingly very easy. You just have to be a bit patient.

I might be interested. How much will they be once repaired?
These modules cost me a total of $44 a piece when I figure in shipping. For the low powered modules, I'll sell them close to at cost (+shipping), and the ones I got good results from I'll add a bit of a premium. I have a list written out on these lasers and their specific beam details so I'll come up with an official price list sometime soon. What kind of power are you after and do you want good beam specs or are you okay with some mode problems?

ferd19

I may be interested in one as well when you start selling them!

^^ Even the dead ones can turn out to be good.. Dont discount them until
you check them inside. Like I mentioned in the other thread, the TEC's have been
found broken in 2, if this is the case the alignment goes right out the door
all the while they just need to be re mounted.

Yup, I always turn them on anyways......I love the color!
You are correct as well.....all my "dead" ones so far have worked, albeit poor divergence and low power.;)

Have you messed with the board at all?

I might be interested in one. add me to the list.

ARG

These modules cost me a total of $44 a piece when I figure in shipping. For the low powered modules, I'll sell them close to at cost (+shipping), and the ones I got good results from I'll add a bit of a premium. I have a list written out on these lasers and their specific beam details so I'll come up with an official price list sometime soon. What kind of power are you after and do you want good beam specs or are you okay with some mode problems?

All right, i'll wait for the official price list, 44$ + shipping isn't bad (if shipping to Canada isn't to much), they wanted 35$ + 35$ for tracked shipping to Canada :(

Last edited:
Nice deal you got on the Lasers...

I'd be interested in the 0.0mW output Laser...
Send me a PM of the price with standard CP
shipping to Quebec when you have the prices..

Jerry

I'll get shipping quotes tomorrow for all those interested.

Please note that you will need a power cord for these lasers, it uses the standard computer power cord (I think it may be called C13 or something like that)

The modules contain a nice set of prisms, they may actually work for the new 635nm diodes (AR coated at 808nm I would assume).

Last edited:

JLSE

For anybody buying these, I still have a bunch of the TEC's and will ship
you one if you need it.. I dont want to sell all of them, so for those who
end up with a broken TEC in theirs, pay the shipping, no charge for the TEC.

Should be no more than 5$, Ill throw in the bubble mailer :san: