Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2W M462 462nm Laser Diode

They seem to be right on spec with eachother (excluding that batch).

The 9mm's just got driven harder thusly higher wavelength.

DTR

Keep in mind on the 9mm after 1.9A you are past the power curve and you start loosing power as as you go up. That is terrible for the diode and is harder than we have pushed diodes in the past just to force a higher wavelength. This will lead to severe life reduction. In comparison you get the same power or more out of the M462 and don't have to risk the a very short life.

Last edited:

rhd

My apologies- yea, i completely forgot those were a separate batch. but weren't most of the diodes hitting higher wavelengths than these new 5.6mm diodes anyway? Or am I just making stuff up in my mind?

I don't really know because I only spectro'd the second set at 2.4 so the tests don't overlap.

Keep in mind on the 9mm after 1.9A you are past the power curve and you start loosing power as as you go up. That is terrible for the diode and is harder than we have pushed diodes in the past just to force a higher wavelength. This will lead to severe life reduction. In comparison you get the same power or more out of the M462 and don't have to risk the a very short life.

Exactly.

If there's a difference between the 5.6 and 9mm diodes, it doesn't seem to be the wavelength per se, but rather the degree to which they can be driven at currents that are really risky.

IsaacT

I am happily overdriving my 9mm 462 diode but the second it dies I will be displeased haha. Hopefully it never dies though.

DTR

I am happily overdriving my 9mm 462 diode but the second it dies I will be displeased haha. Hopefully it never dies though.

Yep I am just highlighting the difference with how the 9mm 462's are being overdriven by some and the other diodes we usually overdrive which is huge. We tend to over drive all the diodes we use and using the 9mm 445's as an example we run a 1.6A rated diode to say 2.4A but we never run them past the point of foldback. @ 2.4A they are still increasing output power but with the 9mm 462nm diodes when going over 1.9A they are actively folding back and reducing in power as the current increases. This is caused by more heat being generated than the dye can move out to the base of the diode and on to the module/heatsink causing a jump in active wavlength and a reduction in power. Only time will tell how detrimental this will be to them but my guess is a huge factor less life than running a 9mm 445 @ 2.4A.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that we'll never actually see a difference in lifespan with these diodes. Even if its decreased to 500 hours, we wouldn't really ever see that happen. Oh well, we'll just have to let time determine their fates.

DTR

Same as the M140.
10.gif

Finished:) I used a krypton Groove host.
First my X-boost died on the operating table then the tail switch failed on me. I had to Frankenstein a C6 clicky into the tail cap and use an Xdrive w/ 2 16340s. The diode is plugged into a socket and not directly into the driver so in the future if I want to easily swit h back to a working boost I can.
First impression: not as" blue" as my 9mm build but its pretty close. I'm going to bed fly... to Alaska at 4am tomorrow zZ

Ok, after a problematic clicky and unintentionally under driving the diode, I compared the m462 to both 445 9mm and 462 9mm. I wish I could get a good pic of these side by side, but my attempts have failed.

With the m462 next to the 445, you can see much more purple in the 445. The m462 is also noticeably lighter blue, but not as much as my 9mm 462nm.

With just the 462nm side by side, the m462 has a very slight purple hue and just a little darker blue. Both of these are set to the same current.

With all three, the m462 appears to be somewhere between the two, but closer to the 9mm 462nm.

With just the 462nm side by side, the m462 has a very slight purple hue and just a little darker blue. Both of these are set to the same current.

With all three, the m462 appears to be somewhere between the two, but closer to the 9mm 462nm.

Id say thats pretty accurate. When you first posted I was inclined to believe you had a fluke diode but your under driving makes sense.
For what they are they're not bad. I remember a thread about a group buy on m140 diodes spectroing them, then selling off the higher WL diodes.
Iirc that never panned out but look what we have now!

Last edited:
I like how it's distinguishable from the 9mm 462. That makes another unique blue in my collection.

got one of these, wow. i think the color difference is cool as hell. I never realized how blue my 445nms werent. next to my old 1W 445nm, the 445nm looks purple to me. the color difference, to me, is best noticed in the beam and ambient illumination caused by the laser, rather than the dot. even >4W of 445nm still looks violetish by comparison, so there is no doubt these are higher wavelength. if they really are limited...

I had mine made at a reasonable 1.2A and am getting 1600mW with a g lens, not too shabby. capable of making fire. spikes to 2W when it is first turned on, at least, that's what the LPM says, its one of my brightest units now, due to the WL, even 4.8W of 445nm is just barely brighter

Last edited:

IWIRE

got one of these, wow. i think the color difference is cool as hell. I never realized how blue my 445nms werent.

Congratulations ! I agree, the difference is amazing. It's a beautiful wavelength. Enjoy :beer: