Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2010 Pro Series - Elite From Wicked Lasers

jayrob

Well, I can understand your point of view...

But I disagree with 'bashing' the company. If you don't like the price, you just don't buy.

I believe the quality of this unit that I have reviewed to be of much better quality than many lasers that I have owned. Only time will tell if it's stability will last.

As far as price, I personally believe that even one of the top companies, of which I own two of their RPL's, are also over priced. But I have paid the price because of the quality.

And also, I have always wished I could afford one of the 'top of the line' Spyder's from WL.

I am very interested in the built-in TEC technology that you just do not see in any other hand held laser. This is unique, as well as the host design and other features.

This is an honest opinion and I too shop price vs quality. Although I did not want to talk about price, I knew it would come up...
Jay

Well, I can understand your point of view...

But I disagree with 'bashing' the company. If you don't like the price, you just don't buy.

I believe the quality of this unit that I have reviewed to be of much better quality than many lasers that I have owned. Only time will tell if it's stability will last.

As far as price, I personally believe that even one of the top companies, of which I own two of their RPL's, are also over priced. But I have paid the price because of the quality.

And also, I have always wished I could afford one of the 'top of the line' Spyder's from WL.

I am very interested in the built-in TEC technology that you just do not see in any other hand held laser. This is unique, as well as the host design and other features.

This is an honest opinion and I too shop price vs quality. Although I did not want to talk about price, I knew it would come up...
Jay

It's not as fun as you'd think. I've tested a WL Spyder II BX, and it wasn't exactly a good laser. It mode hopped all over the place (was even advertised as being TEM01) and the TEC cooling made the body of the laser uncomfortably hot after a minute of use. It was draining over 2.4 amps from the 18650 :eek:

Oh... and it did about 5-8mW instead of the >15mW it was advertised to be.

Now don't let that make you think I hate WL or anything, my Core and Executive 35 both work quite well.

Last edited:
It's not as fun as you'd think. I've tested a WL Spyder II BX, and it wasn't exactly a good laser. It mode hopped all over the place (was even advertised as being TEM01) and the TEC cooling made the body of the laser uncomfortably hot after a minute of use. It was draining over 2.4 amps from the 18650 :eek:

Now don't let that make you think I hate WL or anything, my Core and Executive 35 both work quite well.

Wait, MM. The BX is advertised as TEM03.

jayrob

From what I understand, 473nm is much more difficult of a build than 532nm...

I have an RPL 35 blue laser that is not too stable unless it has a fresh charged battery installed. In fact, I just scraped the battery that came with it from Optotronics, and replaced it with a battery that I got from AW. Because it was not giving me more than 15mW's. (even at full charge)

Once I put a fresh charged AW battery in there, it is back up to over 35mW's. But still fluctuates a lot. Not as stable as a green laser...
Jay

Last edited:
Yeah sorry, TEM03

Stable or not, they can make ~5mw blues with no cooling and they work fine 90% of the time.

The spyder never did more than 9mW, regardless of fresh batteries or not, and the amount of heat it generated made it uncomfortable to use.

Also, remember the price - $1700, not a good deal imo and not in spec any way you slice it

Here's a pic of the dot
STA72672.JPG

D

Deleted member 8382

The fact is that optotronics have a reason to over price their lasers, I know they do many tests etc, but wickedlasers? Until today they were underpowered, I think they just sent you the best of their units so all on here erased the rumor of their lasers being shitty asuming they would go in the same group than optotronics etc...

As for the ones saying "my 30mW pen perfoms well", well, the question is, what 30mW pen doesn't work ok?

Sense please!

Yours,
Albert

jayrob

As I did agree earlier, only time will tell if the laser proves to be this stable in the long run...

But what I have posted here, are good indications that their new line of lasers may be on target!

The lasers come with a graph of the power reading. And this unit that I tested, proved true to the graph, as did the other units that I have seen tested and reviewed so far.

I'm only showing the results of some basic testing, and my opinions of the design and overall quality of the laser. Nothing more than that...
Jay

D

Deleted member 8382

Come on guys, they are selling a 60mW bluray laser as a "blue burning" laser for 1700$, an "extreme" green laser for 250$ that turns to be a 50mW pointer, do they even deserve to be considered?

Looking a bit more, I see I was totally worng since they do even have a "Low Price Guarantee"!! wow, look here http://www.wickedlasers.com/laser-tech/lowprice.html

They make me laugh so hard lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, we get your point - you dislike wicked lasers. Get over it already

The fact is that optotronics have a reason to over price their lasers, I know they do many tests etc, but wickedlasers? Until today they were underpowered, I think they just sent you the best of their units so all on here erased the rumor of their lasers being shitty asuming they would go in the same group than optotronics etc...

As for the ones saying "my 30mW pen perfoms well", well, the question is, what 30mW pen doesn't work ok?

Sense please!

Yours,
Albert

I would suggest you open up a little. Just because it's "cool" to hate WL doesn't mean you have to knock a product you do not own.
Of course they will send out good units... they want good reviews. I highly doubt EVERY unit Wicked has ever produced is below specs... we would not have results like what the reviewers are showing. The only reason WL has a bad rep is because they have expensive products and are lazy with the QC.

In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing how these lasers hold up over time... as well as seeing what else Wicked has to offer in their new lineup.
Keep us updated jayrob!

good review jayrob
nice to know it was up to spec

ya know.. i sure would mind if WL would give a LPF discount
*(hint)

:D

jayrob

Thanks for the positive comments! :)

I will keep you guys updated...

I will be using this new model often. I like the design, and the battery supply as well.

I have always been a fan of Energizer e2 lithium primaries. Because I have lots of flashlights and lasers that may end up sitting for a long time, and these batteries do not loose their charge or leak.

In fact, they have a 12 year shelf life!

But I should add another obvious point about the design of this laser...

It gives the option of using primary batteries, or rechargeable. For rechargeable, I recommend Sanyo eneloop...
Jay

Come on guys, they are selling a 60mW bluray laser as a "blue burning" laser for 1700$, an "extreme" green laser for 250$ that turns to be a 50mW pointer, do they even deserve to be considered?

Looking a bit more, I see I was totally worng since they do even have a "Low Price Guarantee"!! wow, look here http://www.wickedlasers.com/laser-tech/lowprice.html

They make me laugh so hard lol

I completely agree. I used to be a fan of wicked lasers when I was a total newb. I knew absolutely nothing about lasers. I was a member on LC for a while and no matter what wicked does everyone follows along. Its like a cult. Even when they sold CNI direct through WL the only thing wicked was the price. I made my first green purchase from DL right when they opened up shop. I was one of the lucky ones to get the 120mW for like 279$ + shipping I believe.

I purchased a pulsar some time ago, it was the old silver 2 piece design which I loved. One day within the warranty period it stopped working. I sent it out and got a new model that needed to be modded in order to work properly. Which isn't fair since I would have to void my warranty. On top of having to increase conductivity just for it to work normally, the aperture needed to be about 2mm larger in diameter to even get the full beam, a joke in my opinion. I just recently pulled it out of the safe and made the modifications necessary for it to work properly. So far so good but I do believe its underpowered. The way there forum is ran really offends me. Not allowing people to even speak of other companies is wrong. If a newb makes a post on LC and says well what about this optotronics, are they any good? Athoul or whichever mod thats on duty changes the name of said company to wicked lasers which I think is crazy.

Jay I know about your reputation, Ive even spoke with you several times, and received great advice. I would be as excited as anyone would to receive a free laser for review. However with that being said, I feel this is just a ploy by WL to get back some lost business and a strategic move to not release the prices. When you are shopping for anything, of course quality is a big issue. But so is the balance between quality and price.

Your review is good jay, and I appreciate the info. However a great review must include one of the most important aspects, price, and how the overall performance of the item coincides with the pricing. This isnt your fault because you do not have that info, but its silly for wicked to expect sales results based on reviews that DO NOT factor in price.

Im gad that it appears WL is actually selling a product that has a cool new design, and measures up to spec, but I would rather save 400$ and have either an opto pen, or one of your schweeet builds. When they change they're mindset on customer service, quality, and wicked pricing, I will once again consider them for future products.

Sorry to rant.. Really.

-Greg

Dude, we get your point - you dislike wicked lasers. Get over it already

Just as you have your own opinion, so does he. Get over it.

jayrob

Hey here's a beam shot... (with smoke)

Elite7.jpg

Jay

Last edited:

ixfd64

Wow, you're pretty lucky.

I'd ask to be a reviewer, but I don't think "Steve" is going to choose me given that I have previously criticized Wicked Lasers a lot in the past.

jayrob

Jay I know about your reputation, Ive even spoke with you several times, and received great advice. I would be as excited as anyone would to receive a free laser for review. However with that being said, I feel this is just a ploy by WL to get back some lost business and a strategic move to not release the prices. When you are shopping for anything, of course quality is a big issue. But so is the balance between quality and price.

Your review is good jay, and I appreciate the info. However a great review must include one of the most important aspects, price, and how the overall performance of the item coincides with the pricing. This isnt your fault because you do not have that info, but its silly for wicked to expect sales results based on reviews that DO NOT factor in price.

Im gad that it appears WL is actually selling a product that has a cool new design, and measures up to spec, but I would rather save 400$ and have either an opto pen, or one of your schweeet builds. When they change they're mindset on customer service, quality, and wicked pricing, I will once again consider them for future products.

Sorry to rant.. Really.

-Greg

Just trying to show an honest opinion of performance...

What you say about the importance of customer service is true. Of any company. So very important to take care of customers.

This is for sure an advertisement for their new line of lasers. But they must be very confident in the new builds. Knowing that members here will post honest findings.

Perhaps they will think about an LPF discount of some kind.

At any case, it seems to me, to be a statement of promised quality. If a company makes a loud statement in this way, and then does not follow up with reliable service and products, then it is a waste of their efforts. This seems to say, that WL is making a run for their longevity, and is going to be watching quality control in order to regain any lost confidence. (just an opinion)
Jay

Last edited: