Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

20 mW Rigel now available AND on sale!

jeffd

If you check the deals and discount section, laserglow is having a %20 off sale!

Very nice. Like someone mentioned a year ago you would've been happy if the laser peaked at 5ish. :D Time to start thinking of yellow I guess.

+1 to stypyro's question, will the 589nm be available through LG? From what I understand they seem to offer more stable operation as well as ?higher efficiency?, not to mention they are inching closer and closer to that magical peak.

time to start...thats all I have been doing for at least 6 months.
Every sence cOld reviewed his unit I've been haunted:cryyy:

Howcome you say that? Anyhow you're better off getting in on Glenn's GB IMO.

You're entitled to your opinion and all...but I must ask. If that is how you feel then what are you even doing here? o_O

Well, I would imagine a 20mW yellow laser gets boring pretty quickly? Not only are they pricey, there is less use for them than the "usual" red, green, and blue lasers which are able to burn (some can, of course). I would buy a yellow laser if they would go down a lot in price and maybe when they will be able to burn in the future. Then will I be able to make use of them for physics.

Imagine a 100mW yellow laser beam. I would think looking at the dot would partially blind you. :eek:

Sounds awesome! Too bad I just bought a Rigel-5. :( I'm thinking this might be 589nm as well. The 589 process is so much more efficient than the 593 it would make much more sense. Although the Rigel-5 I own now is SO much more bright, stable and never does the green thing compared to my first 5mW yellow. I am guessing 589 and 593 would be next to impossible to differentiate visually, so it probably doesn't matter either way.
How's the power stability 2007Rev.? I was told the stability of the 593.5 is always variable but the 589 is better. Also, I trust that LaserGlow would list the actual wl not just say "Who'll know?" So, I am thinking LG is selling exactly the wl they say. -Glenn

mfo

Well, I would imagine a 20mW yellow laser gets boring pretty quickly? Not only are they pricey, there is less use for them than the "usual" red, green, and blue lasers which are able to burn (some can, of course). I would buy a yellow laser if they would go down a lot in price and maybe when they will be able to burn in the future. Then will I be able to make use of them for physics.

Imagine a 100mW yellow laser beam. I would think looking at the dot would partially blind you. :eek:

If you want to burn things, get a lighter.

Justin

We still have to test the 589 nm lasers to make sure that they are reliable enough to sell as Laserglow merchandise. Hopefully we will be able to market these soon, if they hold up under testing. The ones that we are shipping now are 593.5 nm, as with previous Rigels. The difference in wavelength would be barely detectable with the human eye, but it would be interesting to see a spectrograph of these to see where exactly the central wavelength sits on both the 593.5 and 589 nm versions. If I get this data I will share it here!

WOW! 20mW of 593.5nm in a pen style unit. Sweet. I hope your 589nm units test well.

WOW! 20mW of 593.5nm in a pen style unit. Sweet. I hope your 589nm units test well.

Hell yeah. Especially if they can get the 589 in 20mw or so. I would kill for that.

Personally, I think the colors will be noticable. I always noticed a difference in the color of my Rigel and LPS lights (589.3nm), so I figure someone who's looking for it (like us) will probably see a difference, in the same vein as a 635 and a 640-670.

Last edited:

cmak

you guys, come to the latest WL GB thread... here's the idea: WL 589nm 50mW+ (hopefully around 80mW) in their brand new SPYDER-III host (which is pretty sick, if you haven't yet seen it) for under $900 (hopefully). Imagine if we can get a 80mW Yellow-Orange in an amazing host for $800-850 --- come help us out! Oh and just to clarify, 598nm is about 85% as visible as 532nm Green, so this would be like a 65mW Green!

EDIT: I am no longer interested in being a part of the mentioned GB (it took too long and I spent my funds on a different project). Main reason for editing though is that I gave incorrect information (I've done a LOT of research since then... especially on Rayleigh Scattering, thanks to Cyparagon's suggestion)

Last edited:

mfo

you guys, come to the latest WL GB thread... here's the idea: WL 589nm 50mW+ (hopefully around 80mW) in their brand new SPYDER-III host (which is pretty sick, if you haven't yet seen it) for under $900 (hopefully). Imagine if we can get a 80mW Yellow-Orange in an amazing host for $800-850 --- come help us out! Oh and just to clarify, 598nm is about 85% as visible as 532nm Green, so this would be like a 65mW GREENIE! (unlike 473nm Blue, which is about 8.5% as visible as green. So a 10mW blue would be like a <1mW green. In other words, forget about a beam!)

That's not true.

Razako

That's not true.
I have a blue RPL 30 and it makes a decent beam. It's about equal to a 5-10mw green at best. The thing about blue is your eyes have increased blue reception when they're adjusted to the dark. As a result it will look much brighter at night for more reasons than the obvious.

mfo

I have a blue RPL 30 and it makes a decent beam. It's about equal to a 5-10mw green at best. The thing about blue is your eyes have increased blue reception when they're adjusted to the dark. As a result it will look much brighter at night for more reasons than the obvious.

I purchased a GLP 473 from Glenn's CNI GB #6. He told me it was putting out 13mW with used batteries. I'll estimate it @ 15mW because 1) It's bright 2) I use fresh batteries and 3) I can clearly see the beam in even a semi dark room. Outdoors the beam is very impressive and I live in NYC which has a ton of light pollution.

you guys, come to the latest WL GB thread... here's the idea: WL 589nm 50mW+ (hopefully around 80mW) in their brand new SPYDER-III host (which is pretty sick, if you haven't yet seen it) for under $900 (hopefully). Imagine if we can get a 80mW Yellow-Orange in an amazing host for $800-850 --- come help us out! Oh and just to clarify, 598nm is about 85% as visible as 532nm Green, so this would be like a 65mW GREENIE! (unlike 473nm Blue, which is about 8.5% as visible as green. So a 10mW blue would be like a <1mW green. In other words, forget about a beam!)

Looks an awful lot like spam to me.....

Keep in mind also that brightness is not linear. An 80mW yellow likely won't be close to a 65mW greenie. I JUST had my hands on a yellow module that put out ~40 mW and it was at best as bright as a 20mw greenie, as it was only a bit brighter than a 10 mW green. It was however much more vibrant, so it's hard to explain. The yellow was almost painful to look at, but the green wasn't, but the green was almost as "bright" without being as vibrant. It's sort of hard to quantify. I was a bit suprised myself.

mfo

Looks an awful lot like spam to me.....

Keep in mind also that brightness is not linear. An 80mW yellow likely won't be close to a 65mW greenie. I JUST had my hands on a yellow module that put out ~40 mW and it was at best as bright as a 20mw greenie, as it was only a bit brighter than a 10 mW green. It was however much more vibrant, so it's hard to explain. The yellow was almost painful to look at, but the green wasn't, but the green was almost as "bright" without being as vibrant. It's sort of hard to quantify. I was a bit suprised myself.

Yeah I've said that about a few similar posts but people flame me when I do that.