Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

14 year old responsible laser user 1w?

WTH??!!

--5mW illegal to sell 1W OK?? do you see how dumb this sounds--

that cant be correct--

When you try to educate your parents that lasers are 'coherent light', does your dad reply back "that means it talks, right?" If so, we feel your pain :)

I know, crazy right:thinking: The definition of a "laser pointer": "A laser pointer or laser pen is a small handheld device with a power source (usually a battery) and a laser diode emitting a very narrow coherent low-powered laser beam of visible light, intended to be used to highlight something of interest by illuminating it with a small bright spot of colored light. Power is restricted in most jurisdictions not to exceed 5 mW." The California law about selling "laser pointers" to minors: "Section 417.27
(a) No person, corporation, firm, or business entity of any kind shall knowingly sell a laser pointer to a person 17 years of age or younger, unless he or she is accompanied and supervised by a parent, legal guardian, or any other adult 18 years of age or older." It seems like a loophole in the law:thinking: This could lead to inexperienced uses getting hold of dangerous lasers:tsk:

Gabe

I can assure you they know what they're talking about. They likely meant to include portable lasers of all powers, but if not, then they didn't include them because >5mW portable lasers shouldn't even be in the U.S. in the first place...

kid....... you have 3 option:

-buy a lab laser.....(i never heard about any restriction on lab laser).
-build 1.
-combine a bunch of low power lasers through beam combiner,knife edging,.....

Listen to these guys as they speak with wisdom and experience. If you're not even old enough to drive a car then you should wait to get a 1 watt laser.
High power lasers are dangerous. One mistake could take away your ability to see. It happens to full grown adults as well. It's why they're called accidents. I suppose as long as you have safety goggles you can minimize the damage to your eyes.
Remember that those plastic goggles aren't the best in protection from a direct hit to the eye.
I've used my 3 watt 445 on a small corner of my goggles and it burned through it in less than a second.
True protection is expensive but worth the money. Glass goggles. I have yet to buy a pair myself but those will protect you very well as they don't melt.

Reactions: GSS

GSS

GLF, have you even read enough threads to see whats wrong with the 1W that you are looking at. A member already pointed out it has a plastic lens that melts after a few 20 seconds of use. Your all hopped up to buy it and maby show your parents that its cheap. This could be the scene though You get it and its amazing but right away the beam and dot disappear into a blog, then you might think something got on the lens and your first instinct is to look right into it even though you think it safe because you shut it off. Im not saying your stupid at all to do that but this is a cheap laser with most likely a cheap switch also? You just threw me a curve ball though with your posting of legal jargon that you understand but not know the brightness of so called different lasers and the multiple threadings.:thinking:

Hesitant to join the discussion here, but I just thought I'd throw this in.

If you are absolutely 100% set on getting a 1W laser, get a lab style one as FUBeaches said. Not only will it help with the legality of the issue, but they are also much safer because you won't be picking it up and shining it around; if you want to do that with a laser get a lower power.

Also, would you mind enlightening us as to why you're not satisfied with 100mw, and feel the need to get a class IV laser?

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Davidx

I an 14 years old, and know all of the safety precautions of using high power laser. You need to wear googles, never point in the vicinity of planes:tsk:, never point at others living things etc.... I have wanted to get a 1 watt eBay blue laser for a long time:drool:, but my parents won't let me:( Any input is welcome:D

Listen to these guys. They and your parents are doing their best to keep you
safe.

Tell them you also want a 1000cc motorcycle. You'll make them even more crazy.
LOL

IMO lasers over 1w are not as fun as lasers in the 1-500 mw range. I have owned a 1w 405nm, 1w 638nm 350mw green and a 2w 445nm which i have since sold. I wanted a rainbow of colors but they are just way to bright amd powerful. cant really shine them around outside at night if you have close neighbors. when i shined my 2w blue outside i had 3 people come out wondering what it was. You dont want to attract unnecessary attention to yourself with a high powered laser. This is why i going to stick to lasers under 500mw mostly. I am going to be getting the 1w 520nm because i need at least 1 laser for the wow factor. but to build my rainbow back up im going to stick to lower power and it will be safer and i wont risk burning stuff i dont want burned. btw your 100mw green has the same beam brightness of the 1w blue. and the spot you would need 2 w of blue to reach the dot brightness of the 100mw green so just stick to green in the 100-200 mw range. whatever you do dont buy a 1w 405nm laser. the brightness is like is less then a 5mw green and yet it can burn over 100 feet away. thats a very dangerous laser. very deceiving as its so dim

this was on a dark cloudy winter day just as it was starting to get dark. almost full daylight and look how bright they are, just imagine at night. i do miss these lasers tho lol
23642863185_a437a80b8a_c.jpg
[/url]20141002_185318_LLS by Alex Littig, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Sorry for not getting back to you guys:D I wanted 1 watt blue laser to burn, but also so that I could have a highly visible blue laser:drool:

Also wanted to apologize as people have been saying i am posting WAY to many threads:( I am not fully familiar with the etiquette yet:( I am NOT a troll:(

Last edited:
how many threads are you going to start--

selling ANY POWER lasers to minors is just like having *** w/ a minor-its a STATUTORY crime-(like rape) -read 'age of consent' in the TOS you ALL agreed to and have affirmed that you read it....

This part?

If that part was actually enforced we'd probably lose half the members here... I'm not disagreeing with you of course, just pointing that out.

yeah, i wouldn't be here if those rules were more strongly enforced. maturity is not something that happens at a specific age. the OP could very well be more mature than me, even though i'm 2 years older, but i could also be more mature than other 18 year old members here. its an individual thing that cant be generalized to such an extent as it is.

back on topic, you probably should stick with these less powerful lasers, maybe get a 500mW from laserbtb at the most, then you can get a good feel for the really high power ones.

To the 14yr old OP:let me tell you a story....
When I was about your age I was very obsessed with RF oscillators.I built a very powerful one that used a 1200 volt power supply.One day a wire broke and as a result I stopped my heart....1200 volts arm to arm.As I was blacking out I hit my chest as hard as I could...after 3 blows my heart squirmed weirdly and I lived!!!
Epic win!!!I also built Tesla coils...and now am facing cataract surgery for the shortwave ultra-violet exposure I needlessly exposed myself to.

I remember being young and invincible well.

Take care of your eyes my young friend.Trust me...at 54 years years old...you will pay for any mistakes you make as a young man.

Be careful!Buy goggles.

And listen to your parents.When you get older you can go nuts!The best thing about being an adult is being able to buy all the insane and dangerous stuff you want...

In the meanwhile be careful!!!

Last edited:
To the 14yr old OP:let me tell you a story....
When I was about your age I was very obsessed with RF oscillators.I built a very powerful one that used a 1200 volt power supply.One day a wire broke and as a result I stopped my heart....1200 volts arm to arm.As I was blacking out I hit my chest as hard as I could...after 3 blows my heart squirmed weirdly and I lived!!!
Epic win!!!I also built Tesla coils...and now am facing cataract surgery for the shortwave ultra-violet exposure I needlessly exposed myself to.

I remember being young and invincible well.

Take care of your eyes my young friend.Trust me...at 54 years years old...you will pay for any mistakes you make as a young man.

Be careful!Buy goggles.

And listen to your parents.When you get older you can go nuts!The best thing about being an adult is being able to buy all the insane and dangerous stuff you want...

In the meanwhile be careful!!!

OP hasn't been on in almost a month, doubt he's still checking this thread.