Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

12x Murder Fund! + Graph!

jayrob

Re: 12x Murder Fund! (Complete!)

Sounds like it's easiest to send contributions to Pyro then... Since he is already sending a package to Igor...

daguin

Has anyone asked FlamingPyro if he is willing to collect, keep separate, and keep track of this additional "fund"?

Peace,
dave

jayrob

I'll PM him the link to Glenn's comment just above... :rolleyes:

daguin

drlava

it's creepy how that dot looks like a smiling buddha face.

Igor must have recorded the Voltage levels to generate the efficiency graph, so the data is around.

daguin

This is true. In any case another diode will have to be purchased to experiment further.

Igor is saying he will sell one of his lasers to pay for another diode. IMHO I think that this is unacceptable, Igor is doing everyone here a favour by doing these experimants, so we should not let him pay for a new one. I think that the cost should be spread over the number of people who wish to see the results.

Do people agree with me on this?

EDIT: I just looked at the picture of the 'face' diode...very strange, lol

I would be happy to contribute another $20 dollars for a second 12X, but I would want it at 360mA's...

I was one of the ones that never wanted to see the first one pushed so high...

I'd throw another nickle in the pot. Maybe someone should start a new fundraiser thread.

Lets get another fundraiser going for sure, we need to roll with the experiments, as 12x users are greatly increasing. You can find 5-10$ from me.

Even if Igor purchases a 12x for testing, I still think we should open up a new fund. Better to have more for testing than few. Like I said I'm in it for 50$ since I missed the last one.

Have you checked the window Igor?

In any case I can toss $20 into the pot. Just let me know where to send it.

-Ryan

I'm also willing to donate $20 if you guys decide on buying a new diode for testing purposes, since I missed out on the previous opportunity.

And what a shame about the 12× diode, let's hope it was just a bad one. Still it wouldn't hurt to set the next one at a somewhat lower current, just to be sure I guess. By the way, that "smiley" blu-ray dot is giving me the creeps.. :eek:

Count me in too. Should we just contribute it and add it to Flaminpyro's GB as the 'New Murder Fund'?

I already posted on the GB, thanks anyway Jay.

FlamingPyro is going to be handling the murder funds here

http://laserpointerforums.com/f55/12x-gb-47582.html#post645986

Peace,
dave

daguin

it's creepy how that dot looks like a smiling buddha face.

Igor must have recorded the Voltage levels to generate the efficiency graph, so the data is around.

He says that he has seen that pattern before too

Peace,
dave

drlava

By the way, my offer still stands to do an aging ramp test right here in the states. Two tests might be better than one :)

daguin

By the way, my offer still stands to do an aging ramp test right here in the states. Two tests might be better than one :)

I'm picking up a couple of them in the GB. I had to use my extra one here.

Peace,
dave

drlava

Hey, dave don't worry about it! I'll get one sooner or later

Last edited:

IgorT

Count me in too. Should we just contribute it and add it to Flaminpyro's GB as the 'New Murder Fund'?

You and i are already sending money to FlamingPyro for the 12x's including the new murder candidate...

Also, Bryce while sending some money over to me already contributed $16.

I don't wanna make a confusion out of this, but if anyone is collecting money, there is only $184 left to be collected after Bryces donation.

We should also think of (avoiding) double PP fees.

Ok, for the purpose of clarity:
Skewbasteve and I first sent money to Scopeguy20 to buy a couple of 12x's. Unfortunatelly the cheapest provider is in CA, so Scopeguy would have to pay sales tax.

To avoid double PP fees, i asked Scopeguy to refund us, so the money could go directly to FlamingPyro, who can buy the lowest priced 12x's without sales tax.

Then Bryce sent over a donation to my PP account, to cover the 12x i'm buying with the laser.

This is what happened so far.

EDIT: Oh and now i hear of a GB... :D
EDIT 2: If the idea was to get this diode through there, donations would make most sense if they went to FP indeed.

Last edited:

IgorT

That i agree with.

Lava told me about his ramping-cycling-replotting idea to find the point where rapid degradation sets in.
We know that degradation is fastest at the very start, we also have some limited ideas of how these diodes degrade.

Degradation should be expected even at lower powers, but the speed will be the determining factor telling where to stop ramping further up...

A test like this will show the really safe powers, where 12x's can be used with a high degree of reliability, even in scanners.

EDIT: As for the original 12x PIV Plot you were asking for, here it is..
It's called 12x #2, because it's the second one Dave bought.

Attachments

• 12x #2 PIV Plot.PNG
    12x #2 PIV Plot.PNG
    78.7 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:

Ok, So with the second 12x murder experiment going to happen at some point, what will the output be set to? Is this even close to decided?

If it's done by a vote, then mine would be a conservative vote to set it to the same power output as the second 8x (453mw) to watch and see if it follows the same degradation path as the second 8x. While it wouldn't give us an estimated time for running 600mw+ the last diode's failure kind is rather unsettling, and having this diode die in the same manner as the last would limit the data. There are already several people pushing the envelope with their 12x builds, which might not be a scientific experiment, but it still helps to answer questions about real world use for the higher powers.
I know little on this subject, I've not really been able to wrap my mind around what's going on with the diodes to degrade them, so I could be, and probably am, way off. But wouldn't a side by side degradation comparison of 8x vs 12x at the same power output help to settle the question of are they different diodes?

Since the consensus will almost certainly be "more power more power" I would still vote to keep it at 500mw at the most. Watching another 12x pop wouldn't be particularly satisfying if it pops in less then 10 hours..... As a side note, I would be quite willing to contribute again for a third 12x diode to give us two points of data for comparison. Considering we don't really have much to compare against from the first 12x.

Exerd

My plot number 2 demonstrated a very different voltage curve. It would keep climbing over 400mA, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2V etc. After 7 minutes at 470mA, the diode has degraded by roughly 5% through the output range, and it now pulls 7.0V at 500mA, where it had previously pulled about 0.8V less.