Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

12x BR DIODES

man I had no idea people were getting 600+mW of 405nm light.

If only that didn't cost $200 just for the diode..

congrats to those 12x owners :)

-Kendall

FrancoRob;

After subtracting the threshold current from the current reading to get the slopes reported in the diode data sheets. It looked like the threshold currents were the same.

I took (Power out / Current In - Threshold Current).

I got 1.42 mw/ma for the Nichia.

I got 1.37 mw/ma for Hemlock Mike's diode at 500mw.

That is only a small difference.

LarryDFW

Just a quick Hijack -- I posted my data for the SmOC RED found in my 8x sled over on Nico's diode thread. Nothing new on this diode.

HMike

I just posted data on the SmOC (tiny red) from my 8x over on Nico's diode post. I had to machine the adapter to make it fit an Aixiz module.

Thanks for graphing my "dud" diode :D :D That sick puppy pops balloons from over 40' easily! I had to make a focusing ring to keep my fingers away from that beam.

HMike

Oh, wow, it looks that I'm not reading carefully all answers...:yabbem:
You're right Jay, it's a V5 (I have rechecked Quisp data), Excel automatism trick... the mistake has been corrected...

Just received my new order of FlexDrives today...

Still V5, must be a typo that Quisp is using a V6??

I set your 'Hot' option to 400mA's as requested...

Probably as long as the forward voltage on your 12X is under 6 volts at that current, it will be fine. But remember that we are pushing the V5 FlexDrives with these builds.

Let us know how it goes on that! :cool:

Is it safe to hit the diode with >300mA from the get go?
I was under the impression that these diodes were being "ramped up" to the desired current setting. 400mA is a lot!
I recall reading somewhere about several instances of 8X diodes failing when hit with high currents from the initial -on. Or was that from the "bad" 8X sleds?

I'll hopefully be joining you guys in the 12X club within the next month... if the diode lives!

jayrob

Well I have not tried 400, but on my 12X build, I just set it to 320mA's and it was just fine at 465mW's! (405-G-1)

With my 8X, I set it at 292mA's and it put out 375mW's. A kind of a low efficiency 8X, but very stable.

I like to go for the slightly conservative settings with these... Don't want it to die right away...

daguin

Is it safe to hit the diode with >300mA from the get go?
I was under the impression that these diodes were being "ramped up" to the desired current setting. 400mA is a lot!
I recall reading somewhere about several instances of 8X diodes failing when hit with high currents from the initial -on. Or was that from the "bad" 8X sleds?

I'll hopefully be joining you guys in the 12X club within the next month... if the diode lives!

I "hit" mine with 425mA directly (no ramp up). We'll see . . . . .

Peace,
dave

So, I received my BDR-205BK drive and have harvested the diode.
Using the G-1 Glass & V5 Flexdrive and am finding this 12X diode seems to like the higher voltage.
My finding so far are using one 18650 battery (aprox 4 volts) and setting the current to 400ma my output is around 300ma
Setting the voltage to 5.5 volts and driver at 400ma my output is now 390ma. I read something about forward voltage but do not understand this term.
So my question is, what are you guys using for input voltage? I know I will have to drop the voltage into the flexdrive if I go above 6 volts.

Thanks in advance, Doug

Hey Doug, this is not the most ideal place to post such questions.

If you like, you can PM me, or do a little bit more searching through the 8X BDR-203 thread.

If you still have problems figuring it out, you may try posting a thread in the tutorials/help section of the forum..

Thanks!

-Tyler

I "hit" mine with 425mA directly (no ramp up). We'll see . . . . .

Peace,
dave

I "Hit" most of my 8x diode with 400-410mA when turning the pot on the flexdrive v4. I got quite a few jumps between 100mA and 400mA before finally getting the current set. I haven't lost a diode to this yet. Just busted diode windows running into the chip.

Ouch...

I know these guys get pulsed at higher powers for disc writing, but 400mA... still seems to be a lot to me! This is why I'm so surprised that they seem to be alright so far...

daguin

So, I received my BDR-205BK drive and have harvested the diode.
Using the G-1 Glass & V5 Flexdrive and am finding this 12X diode seems to like the higher voltage.
My finding so far are using one 18650 battery (aprox 4 volts) and setting the current to 400ma my output is around 300ma
Setting the voltage to 5.5 volts and driver at 400ma my output is now 390ma. I read something about forward voltage but do not understand this term.
So my question is, what are you guys using for input voltage? I know I will have to drop the voltage into the flexdrive if I go above 6 volts.

Thanks in advance, Doug

The flexdrive CANNOT provide 400mA to these diodes @ <5V VF (voltage to the diode). Drlava is working on a new one now. However, when the voltage begins to approach 6V (like these 12X's do), the flexdrivwe can only actually provide ~300mA. If you want to make a 12X right now, you either have to set it very low or use a Rkcstr or DDL type drive and provide it with at least 6V OVER the voltage drop of the driver. Either that or wait until dlava gets the next generation manufactured.

Peace,
dave

jayrob

Yep...

But some diodes will differ in efficiency, so if you get one that will ask for less than 6 volts at say 320mA's, you will be fine with a FlexDrive. At least I know mine is stable at 320mA's/465mW's steady...