Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

12x BR DIODES

Milos

Had son, been busy with family. No space at home for my shop in small apartment, so i have like 2 hours a week at work where i started "catching up" a bit with new diodes.

I decided to build max power pen hosts i can to warm up :)

then I'll machine some parts for Stingray 3 platform for Flex Mod P3 driver and any diode that comes along up to 4A of current.

cheers:lasergun:

DTR

I installed G-1 lens and I'm getting nice 930mW with fresh batteries drawing 604mA.

That's awesome. Only 70mW away from 1W. How much runtime do you have on it at the moment? I am still waiting on some microboosts that I am planning on using with my S06J. I think I will go with 650-700mA and see if I can get it to 1W.:eg:

The real question is . . .

which diode is tougher for under $70 ?

The BHR-205 sled.

The S06J sled (LG10X; I have taken to 900 mw)

The Sony SLD-3237 diode (rated @ 400mw).

The LG 12X Blu-ray writer WH12LS30 I saw today at Fry's for $89.

LarryDFW

P.S. Now Fry's has an HP 12X Blu-ray writer for $89 (w/rebate)

Last edited:

DTR

Hey Milos any updates on your runtime so far @ 600mA. I am ready to build another and am trying to decide on what current to try out. I think if you have had good success I will go with 650mA and see if it survives there.:beer:

Exerd

I have two sleds here I forgot I had. One is the S06j, the other is the SF-BW512p.

Are these supposedly the same diode in each?

About driving the 12x diodes to high currents. I am going to push them now that they are cheap. But, I can say that through testing, their lives are greatly shortened at current past 600mA, and 650-700mA may get ugly.

DTR

I have two sleds here I forgot I had. One is the S06j, the other is the SF-BW512p.

Are these supposedly the same diode in each?

About driving the 12x diodes to high currents. I am going to push them now that they are cheap. But, I can say that through testing, their lives are greatly shortened at current past 600mA, and 650-700mA may get ugly.

From what I have seen in my testing between the two the SO6J seems better than the SF diode. Currently we are trying to determine how much better.:)

Milos

bad news

Last night was not a good night, I had very little time and no power meter with me. In any case, i got Flex V3 drive to 400mA at 4V from my PS. Optical output was less than impressive. I upped current to 550mA and saw only minimum increase in brightness ?? Then i upped it to max ~700mA and no visible optical output increase at all??!!. Also V3 wouldn't go over 500mA with 4V input (unlike V5), so i had toup voltage on my PS to about 5.5. Current reading reached maximum of 723mA at diode, and like i said optical output appeared to be the same, looking about like my 300mW. (slightly out of focus dot)

Diode died after about 3 min or less total at this current. I did see smoke come out of my V3 driver before the test as i accidentally reversed polarity at the input of the driver. It happened to me before couple of years ago, without any damage. This time i'm not even sure what happened as i had to run home.

sorry for dissapointment. I have to get V5 driver and new sled, and will repeat test, this time measuring Optical output as i increase current. If i had it with me yesterday, i would have been able to understand better what was going on before diode burned out (or both driver and diode died, i still need to check both) Next week.

ahhhhh,

Last edited:

Milos

hey DTR, you have plenty of recent experience. I'm thinking to get Microboost driver for this test. trying to feed up to 900mA to S06J from single 3.7 Li-ion.

Would this be better choice than MicroFlex V5. I might get ready for next thursday round 2 attempt.

DTR

hey DTR, you have plenty of recent experience. I'm thinking to get Microboost driver for this test. trying to feed up to 900mA to S06J from single 3.7 Li-ion.

Would this be better choice than MicroFlex V5. I might get ready for next thursday round 2 attempt.

I have used the Flexdrives with no problem running bluray diodes but it does say in the PDF that it has a max Vout of 5.5V but this is obviously not right since I have one driving a 405 that has been happily rolling along for 6 months.

The flex is more efficient than the microboost. So your batteries will last longer.:beer:

I would not jump straight to 900mA especially after the loss you just suffered. If we have run one without degradation @ 600mA I feel the next step should be to jump to 650mA-700mA. Baby steps. That is how the 445 when for me. I was the first to hit 1.6W then it was 1.8W, 2W, 2.1W and others claim to have hit as high as 2.2W.:beer:

Milos

ok,

no, i only meant I would push it as high as 900mA as far as my driver needs would be. If i need to . But if that doesn't make sense, i will see on optical power meter.

I will probably start between 400 and 500mA, and gradually increase shooting for 1W of optical output. I am looking to get to know how diode behaves in that range.

Of coarse, if it doesn't go up in optical output, or does insignificantly for the amount of curent increase, i will note that. But i won't know till i start, damnit. I sort of have time right now, but no diode.

thats how it goes when you have 2-3 hours a week only to mess with lasers :-(

Hey, so is 450mA a good, low current to give me a nice long lifetime, guaranteed? (Well, 99%, anyway :p )

^^^ 450 should be a theoretical good safe limit. remember that our diodes werent designed to be moving about constantly so while 450 is good on a bench, you are only 1 drop away from lights out, if that makes sense.

michael.

Helios

any way to get a table on the wavelength of them and what the tolerances are?

Look at the spec sheet for your diode. Not many people have the required equipment to gather such data so it would be quite hard to generate such a table unless something with the ability to measure the wavelength happened to have a dozen of so 405nm lasers.