Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1000mW laser pointer Group Buy, start right now

rhd

I think it is worth pointing out that this is NOT one of their power certified line. It might not measure 1,000 full mW.

Yes, it would be a better idea to have a group buy on a "certified power" line of 200mw+ greens. I'm sure many more people would be joining in.

Last edited:

rhd

Yeah, isn't that the same EXACT pointer, just a different color? Group buy price doesn't seem that good now that you mention this one...

I'm really shocked that anyone here is buying this "group buy" nonsense.

And by "buying" I don't mean purchasing the actual laser, I mean buying into the notion that this IS a group buy in the first place. It's not. This is an advertisement guys. It's a paid promotion. Period. Dino is clever (sort of), but this is just more of their usual trickery. Remember around New Years when EVERYTHING was 50% off? Except that all they did was double their "regular" prices, and everything ended up exactly the same price... and surprise surprise, after New Years, none of the prices went back up to the (fake) "regular" prices.

Dino is legendary for fake sales. Lotus_Darkhorse is DEAD-ON. This is going to be exactly the same laser as 1000mW 1W 447nm Waterproof Adjust Focus Blue Laser Pointer Pen (1 x 18650 Battery) - DinoDirect.com, but in a different colour. They probably even bought them for exactly the same price. In typical DinoDirect fashion, they artificially pump up the price on one, so that they can discount it like crazy and make people think it's a great deal. In the end, they get pretty much exactly the same $ for exactly the same product.

I don't blame Avery for taking the ad, because lets face it, power to ALL OF US if we get someone like Dino Direct to subsidize the cost of an awesome resource that we use (this board). We'd have to donate a lot more if it weren't for advertisers like DD. But I do say shame on any forum member who actually falls for this absurdity.

The real shame is -

That I actually REALLY REALLY like a number of the Dino Direct lasers. Specifically, I think their "Certified Power" line of lasers (a line that this laser is NOT part of) is fantastic. Great bang for your buck, and good quality lasers. In fact, I own two, and have two more on their way. The first was a 300mW green for $126 that arrived overspec hitting almost 400mW, and the other was a 1,000mW 808 IR for $65 that was basically up to spec (5% below). In both cases, they actually WERE amazing deals, and the lasers themselves were fairly decently built.

I even have to commend Dino Direct for being one of the first cheap Chinese gadget sites to buy an LPM, and start metering at least some of their lasers before selling them. They deserve credit for that. We've repeatedly pleaded with the cheap Chinese gadget sites to do exactly that. With the exception of a half dozen lasers that John from PA metered, Dino was the first (and still one of the only) in their category to take action on the LPMing request.

I guess what I'm saying, is that I actually think Dino HAS a pretty good edge on the laser market. But what kills me, is that they have basically the worst business ethics and perspective on honesty of any cheap Chinese gadget site around. They've got substantially more current lasers than DX, but every time I go to order from Dino, I feel horrible for validating their sketchy approach to doing business.

It's just a shame to see a site that has good things going for it, resort to tacky low-rent unethical practices. They don't need to. Having said that, the reality is that THEY STILL DO, so everyone should be aware of that fact.

To anyone considering this purchase:
Might I make an alternate suggestion? Go into the B/S/T forum, and make WTB post, stating your budget. I'm sure that for the same price as DD is selling their laser here (or a bit more), you'll get a MUCH better laser.

To Dino:
I'll tell you the secret to selling lots of lasers, to lots of people on this board.
Be honest. Find a laser that is rare to us. Meter them, and guarantee an output power (within 10%). Offer us a good price and be honest about it. Don't pretend you're giving us 50% off a $300 laser, when we know the laser should only cost $150 in the first place. Just come at us honestly, and don't treat us like morons who fall for childish fake sales. That's it. Treat this forum with honesty, and offer us quality products, and you've got a goldmine. And for god's sake, if you're feeling inclined to reply to this post with "I promise to you that we are all honest every time. Make you happy with purchase. We want to earn your trust. Blah blah blah", then don't bother, because you've missed everything I just said.

Last edited:
RHD is right. This is not a group buy, this is a coupon code offer. Though there is supposedly a purchase minimum to get a price cut, I find it very questionable as to whether this is the case especially with the store being the "host". This should be filed under "Deals and Discounts."

This post represents a dangerous precedent where companies can advertise their wares under the false pretext of hosting a "group buy."

Last edited:

rhd

RHD is right. This is not a group buy, this is a coupon code offer. Though there is supposedly a purchase minimum to get a price cut, I find it very questionable as to whether this is the case especially with the store being the "host". This should be filed under "Deals and Discounts."

This post represents a dangerous precedent where companies can advertise their wares under the false pretext of hosting a "group buy."

Oh I GUARANTEE you there's no purchase minimum ;) What are they going to do, hold all the shipments until a certain number is reached? No way. And what if that number wasn't hit, would they cancel those sales? Not a chance. They've got these things in stock, so the whole math of this being a groupbuy doesn't make any sense. They're not ordering "10 more" on our account, and even if they were, they're already in the bulk-buyer category so firmly that our 10 makes no impact on their cost to buy them wholesale.

No, this is a coupon plain and simple. Just like DX has their COUPON CODE: DXLASER10 to get 10% off lasers in their inventory right now. The difference? DX calls it what it is - a small discount, available to everyone.

I'm not sure I worry about precedents etc. My feeling is that we're smart enough to spot this BS, and won't fall for it. So I say - milk them for all the advertising dollars they'll toss in this direction. If they want those dollars to be wasted because their campaign is based on dishonesty, then that's their call. But they could just as easily make those advertising dollars count, by initiating a campaign that was truthful and provided real value.

Last edited:

Yeah... as DD being the "store/seller" that's why I questioned
if these were in stock for sale or this was actually a GB...

Still no response from DD...

I agree...rhd is right..... be honest or we'll call you out on it..

Jerry

Last edited:

jakeGT

Personally, I think they are just trying to get rid of a certain model of laser that hasn't sold too well. They have too many of them, and need to move em out. There is no group buy, it is just to get rid of old stock quicker.

And everybody remembers how the dinodirect coupons usually work right? i remember HIMNL9 saying his coupon was for $5 off, and then afterwards they added $5 for SHIPPING, when they have FREE SHIPPING

The $5 off was applied as shipping in the end, so maybe that's what they are going to do with this one.

I think it is worth pointing out that this is NOT one of their power certified line. It might not measure 1,000 full mW.
thanks for your doubt, dont worry about this, we picked this laser carefully for our group buy, 1000mw is 1000mw:yh:

Personally, I think they are just trying to get rid of a certain model of laser that hasn't sold too well. They have too many of them, and need to move em out. There is no group buy, it is just to get rid of old stock quicker.

And everybody remembers how the dinodirect coupons usually work right? i remember HIMNL9 saying his coupon was for $5 off, and then afterwards they added $5 for SHIPPING, when they have FREE SHIPPING

The $5 off was applied as shipping in the end, so maybe that's what they are going to do with this one.
this coupon is absolutely $30, and this stuff is absolutely our hot sell, we regards our LPF member a lot, so here comes this group buy:evil:

this coupon is absolutely $30, and this stuff is absolutely our hot sell, we regards our LPF member a lot, so here comes this group buy:evil:

:thinking:

Maybe you should of bought a English translator with your LPM...

This isn't a Group Buy, And IF you do this all the time your going Loose sales from the LPF Community

The :evil: Cracked me up, Your not doing us any big Favor.... We have better lasers sold here and the output is guaranteed!

i was actually gonna buy this :( , are there similar lasers on the site for a reasonable price? i dont want to be scammed by dinodirect especially from all the bad reviews ive seen