Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1000 mw Burning Diode Need Help!

HIMNL9

The voltage marked on the capacitors is the absolute maximum voltage that you may use with them ..... is always a good idea to get capacitors with at least 50 to 100% more breakdown voltage than the one that you have to use in the circuit, and if it's higher, is just better (except if it's too much higher, but this is a different discussion), so yes, 35V are ok ..... in fact, for 12V, anything from 16 to 50 V is ok.

and for the 3,3 ohm resistor, you can just place 3 resistors of 10 ohm in parallel ..... ;)

I also suggest you to use a capacitor on the output, like, a 22, 33 or 47 uF one, with a 470 ohm resistor in parallel, if you plan to use that driver for regular usage, and not just for a test ..... more stable and more safe ;)

Would you happen to have another wiring diagram or modify the one you sent to me with the 470 ohm resistor and capasitor, sorry i do better looking at the wiring diagram then trying myself. lol thx

Do you think I could use a 100 ohm trimmer instead of a 50 ohm?

yes you could, but it will be a little bit more 'twitchy'

not a problem though, rckstr uses 100ohm pots in his version of the ddl driver and they are damn good drivers so you should be fine.

stuart :)

HIMNL9

Hi, sorry for the delay.

Yes, you can use a 100 ohm trimmer, it's just more sensitive to adjust at the higher current ..... by the way, using that schematic with a 1W diode, is also better to change the 22 ohm resistor with a 10 ohm one, so the trimmer get less stress ..... or better, calculate the new values specifically for the current that you need.

What is the current that you want to use with that diode ? ..... knowing it, can give you directly the values.

About the driver, it's ok in this way, only add a 470 or 560 ohm resistor in parallel to the output capacitors, so they get discharged when the driver is not powered, and you don't risk to burn the diode connecting it with the capacitors charged.

Ya iam just trying to get the most power out of the diode and also a long life, or what i can. ya I was thinking about just puting 3 10ohm resistors in parallel like you said, would that still be ok with thw 100 ohm trimmer?

HIMNL9

Using a 3,3 ohm and a 100 ohm trimmer in serie, and changing the 22 ohm one with a 10 ohm resistor, you can regulate it from 110mA to 500mA ..... these values must permit you to check and test your diode (is less than the maximum usually required from an 1W IR diode, and must not damage it) ..... anyway, can be better if you know the characteristics of your diode, before make trials with higher currents .....

Ok i got the rest of the parts and built the circuit to the schematics you sent identical to them except i used the 1117 regulator you said to use. I hooked a 9 volt battery to the diode and turned it on, i kinda leaned over and looked at it on an angle and saw a tiny dim red light but thats all I get. how do you focus it? The circuit is only pulling .116min to .159max amps

Last edited:
how 1000mw how much would that cost. didnt even know there was a 1000mw diode.

This is a IR diode at 808nm. It will be invisible unless under optimal conditions. It is also multmode so focusing the beam will be difficult and will make burning hard. These diodes are of really little use to laser enthusiasts without a set of crystals to make green.

There are laser diodes upwards of 3 watts, look around and you will find some cool stuff!

HIMNL9

@ Darkknight: if you are using a small "transistor radio type" 9V battery, this type of batteries don't have enough current for this use ..... if you want to use batteries at around 1A, you need at least C or D cells ..... or some good AA alkaline, that anyway don't last too long ..... or Li-Ion cells.

Try with a power supply that can give you at least 1A, and don't look inside the laser diode also if not focused !! ..... with 1W of IR, is still dangerous !! ..... your eyes see the 808nm of an 1W IR LD as very dim red, but the quantity of light is still 1W ..... only, the eye don't react to it closing the lid as with the normal light, you don't notice it, and your retina can become irreversibly damaged before you notice it (or, said in other words, you notice the damage when you have already irreversibly lost your sight and at this point there's nothing more to do :p)

@ GreenLaser: as far as i know, the 1W 808nm diodes are all 9mm types, or, at least, til now i never found any of them in 5,6mm with that power, the more powerful ones that i had around in 5,6mm was 300mW clodsed can and 500mW open can.

For the cost, it depend from the source ..... tested, granted and selected ones from specialized shops are insanely priced, and the cheap ones on ebay are all a bet, you can get the right one, or the wrong one, or anything in the middle .....

o kool thanks i will keep these off my wishlist as i see no real potential

OK got a new power supply using from computer 12 v. at min its pulling .179 amps at max its pulling 1.080 amps, I tried the web cam trick and saw a very faint light at max with the diode right up aginst the white paper(the ir rays were not nearly as large as yours, I could barly see mine). I know you told me not to but I pointed the diode right at the webcam just to see and there was a red dot comming from the diode. when the diode is put in the housing with the lense will this turn it into the red dot like a regular laser pointer?