Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1000 mw Burning Diode Need Help!

I have just bought my fisrt 1 watt burning diode and was wondering how to build a power supply for it. I want to get the best preformance out of it while aslo insuring it a long life. This is the info I got for it. 808nm laser diode that puts out 1 watt of power, made in the USA. 2.2 volts at 1.2 or 1.3 amps. Any help on building a power supply would be greatly appreciated-thx

welcome.gif
to the Forum...
There is a lot of Laser related Info on the Forum...
It is all Free for the reading....
You will need to read the Stickies... FAQs... and Tutorials...

The DDL Current drive is able to drive LDs up to 1.5 Amps if well
heat sinked..

You can start by reading here.....

http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/diy-homemade-laser-diode-driver-26339.html

Or you can buy a commercial Laser Power Driver....

Don't forget to read the Newcomers section and the Forum Rules...

Jerry

Jerry

diachi

Please be aware that this IS NOT a red laser diode. This is Infra-Red and is ALMOST invisible. The dot will be VERY dim, do not get the wrong idea and think it's broken then look into it.

Please make sure you have the correct eye ware to protect from this wavelength before continuing.

KiLLrB

Like Jerry said do some research. In the future it also helps if you give some detailed information about the diode itself.

I have just bought my fisrt 1 watt burning diode and was wondering how to build a power supply for it. I want to get the best preformance out of it while aslo insuring it a long life. This is the info I got for it. 808nm laser diode that puts out 1 watt of power, made in the USA. 2.2 volts at 1.2 or 1.3 amps. Any help on building a power supply would be greatly appreciated-thx

I was reading a post recently that said even clear safety goggles will stop IR. This sounds kinda crazy but... Is it true?

Please be aware that this IS NOT a red laser diode. This is Infra-Red and is ALMOST invisible. The dot will be VERY dim, do not get the wrong idea and think it's broken then look into it.

Please make sure you have the correct eye ware to protect from this wavelength before continuing.

Last edited:
I was reading a post recently that said even clear safety goggles will stop IR. This sounds kinda crazy but... Is it true?

No.
What you were reading was most likely referring to the IR wavelength of a CO2 laser (10.6 micrometers).
At that wavelength, most objects are opaque, including glass, metals and even clear plastics. This is why CO2 lasers require expensive ZnSe lenses.

780nm, 808nm, 980nm, 1064nm, are still very close to the visible spectrum and behave very much the same way visible light (more specifically, red light) does regarding opacity to common materials and refraction.

Since 808nm is still more accurately described as "near" IR or "NIR," it's properties allow it to pass through just about any "clear" materials unobstructed.

To block NIR you will need goggles for that specific wavelength.

KiLLrB

No.
What you were reading was most likely referring to the IR wavelength of a CO2 laser (10.6 micrometers).
At that wavelength, most objects are opaque, including glass, metals and even clear plastics. This is why CO2 lasers require expensive ZnSe lenses.

780nm, 808nm, 980nm, 1064nm, are still very close to the visible spectrum and behave very much the same way visible light (more specifically, red light) does regarding opacity to common materials and refraction.

Since 808nm is still more accurately described as "near" IR or "NIR," it's properties allow it to pass through just about any "clear" materials unobstructed.

To block NIR you will need goggles for that specific wavelength.

Yup thats it a CO2 laser. I read it on mikes starwars laser thread.

You can make a voltage regulator using a LM317 i think its that chip or its something like it. dont hook it up to 2 AA batteries. IT will burn it out

You are completely off Track... Perhaps a little research on the Forum
is in order....:whistle:

An LM317 is not configured as a VOLTAGE regulator in the Linked Thread
I supplied above... it is used as a CURRENT regulator...

You will NOT burn out the LM317 by using 2 AA Batteries...
You will not even be able to drive a 1 watt IR LD using 2 AA Batteries
as an input to the LM317...:cool:

Jerry

Is this a 9mm can diode? It will need to be heatsinked in order to use it. This diode will be positive ground. It will be multimode, so don't expect to collimate it into a perfect beam. You need a 9mm diode housing, these pop up on ebay periodically, also you can special order them from o-like. These housings include a lens.

For example :

2pcs/9mm Laser Diode case/ With Coated Glasses Lens on eBay.ca (item 260548690215 end time 06-Apr-10 06:44:51 EDT)

You can make a regulator with an LM317, a 1 ohm resistor will give you 1250mA. Get the schematic from the thread lasersbee referenced you to. Heatsink the LM317 well, and don't drive with excessive supply voltage, 4.2V lithium cell or 5V bench supply is adequate. An alternative driver is a DX driver disk, these are available in 350, 700, 1050, and 1400mA and are great for making an IR handheld as these are a negative side driver. (Needed in a positive ground diode/host system)

Laser goggles are mandatory at this power level! Do not even build the laser until you own goggles. The IR can be observed with a vidcam or digicam preview screen, cameras pick up near IR like 808nm quite well.

When your talking about that diode case in your forum, that will work as a heatsink also cuz when i think of heatsink i think aluminum block with fins.

I have that diagram and I have read all the info everyone has sent me its instering stuff. But i guess iam not understanding where the heatsink actually goes. Deas it go around the diode itself or does it go into the regulator?

you need to slot the driver into a heatsink to maximise heat dissipation, ask flaminpyro or jayrob for a custom made one or search around a bit to find one that fits.

stuart
:)

I want to put all these internals into a star trek first contact type 2 phaser body. could this guy make a heatsink that would fit into that?

Also where can i get a really power green burning diode? and plans for power source? nI hear you can actually see the beam on the green ones.