Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1000 mw Burning Diode Need Help!

It depends on if the diode is FAC or not, chances are that its not since it is a 9mm can. Besides it sounds like you blew that diode, it should be very bright on the webcam (assuming it actually is a 808nm diode, it might be higher)

Even if it is focused it will not be visible, that's the drawback to IR lasers...

Are you using a driver? A PC power supply is not a driver and will blow a diode pretty fast.

As far as visible diodes around 1W, you can get a red 660nm diode however it is a c-mount diode. AFAIK nobody makes a module for c-mount diodes like there are for 9mm and 5.6mm diodes. You will have to make your own. There might be 9mm 1W red diodes, but I've never seen them on ebay. You'll want to make sure the diode has a FAC lens installed as well.

As far as visible diodes around 1W, you can get a red 660nm diode however it is a c-mount diode. AFAIK nobody makes a module for c-mount diodes like there are for 9mm and 5.6mm diodes. You will have to make your own. There might be 9mm 1W red diodes, but I've never seen them on ebay. You'll want to make sure the diode has a FAC lens installed as well.

The diode would be 635nm, and they do come in 9mm can's, I've got a .5W one sitting less than a foot away as I type this :D, and there are indeed 1W 9mm diodes on eBay, but you've got to be sure to get quality tested ones. Most 9mm don't have an FAC as there's simply not enough room in the can for one. Open can 9mm could have an FAC I suppose, but I've not seen it. And you're right, there aren't any modules for c-mount diodes, but you can have someone drill and tap a hole in a block of metal and screw the diode to that, works great for them. Hope this helps.

Edit: MarioMaster does sell 9mm diodes on occasion, I'd contact him for prices on one

ya the driver is hooked into the pc power supply I did not have anything else to power it with.

would you happen to know where i could get a red burning diode? that i could see the beam or dot, I would rather have one i could see. thx