Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1.5w 405nm

Mine is about 24 inches long and has jaws that open to about 6 inches. I can't remember who I got them from it was so long ago, but there are some that are 18 inches long and open to 4 inches on eBay. Someone here showed me link to them sometime ago, so you might want to look there.

Nae K

Mine is about 24 inches long and has jaws that open to about 6 inches. I can't remember who I got them from it was so long ago, but there are some that are 18 inches long and open to 4 inches on eBay. Someone here showed me link to them sometime ago, so you might want to look there.
Woah you weren't like about especially big LOL. I doubt I have any that size lying around but I'll shop around. I'm pretty curious on that idea because as you saw in the first image that was just after a light press in the vise but the end result took a bit of force and I was worried about overpressing so I'm open to any suggestion and yours is sound.:)

A vise works well and there's a pair ( in and out ) of steel tools for 9mm, 5.6mm, and 3.8mm diodes but you need a different sleeve for each module dia. such as 12mm, 20mm, 25mm and 35mm so 6 steel tools and 4 sleeves covers them all although I don't use 25 and 35mm modules very often and I can press them in with an automotive socket but the tools make it easy.

I really hope we see some bigger diodes and need new everything soon, bring on the 50w projector diodes.

How quickly we get off the subject at hand. But, the answer to the original question is yes. They are good diodes. They will probably live longer than a bdr at the same recommended output.

How quickly we get off the subject at hand. But, the answer to the original question is yes. They are good diodes. They will probably live longer than a bdr at the same recommended output.

They are not single mode, that's a big difference, if they were single mode I would get excited and buy some.

with the right lens and focal configuration, the diode at 520mA can cut a pencil in half .

with the right lens and focal configuration, the diode at 520mA can cut a pencil in half .

The circularizing lens or a prism pair could be used with a NDB7875 or 7A75 diode and could do more faster, the point of using a single mode 405 is you get a tight cutting beam with just a short FL aspheric, if going to the trouble of beam shaping then why limit yourself to a 1w MM diode, why not a NDB7875 or 7A75

Is the raw divergence and or starting beam size of this MM 405 better than an A-130, M-140, 7875 ??

I will say that I like the color of the 405 beam and if these were inexpensive I would likely get a couple to play with, not that I have any trouble spending 50 dollars ???? on a diode plus a module/driver/lens but I don't see the value except reusing the factory beam shaping optic if that's what someone wants to do, I have fiber modules for cutting pencils and would only want the MM 405 for it's pretty color, too bad it won't do 5 watts as that would look nice at night.

If comparing a multi mode 405 beam of 1.5w to a single mode beam @ 0.75w which will be more visible ? If the size of a m-140 beam then I suspect the single mode would be more visible.

Last edited:
profile is better than M-140, 7875 in my opinion. It is a fun diode.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
I've been playing with the bits from one of the sleds I got and as much fun as the diode is I want to know where I can get more of the correction optics. It looks like a GRIN lens, coated on both sides, and it turns the beam of an N465 from a bar into a near perfect square dot with just the addition of a final collimating lens. All the goodness of cylindrical pair correction with a lot less hassle.

Is that a near perfect square at a set distance or range such as to write on a disc or do you get a square beam over distance ?

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Is that a near perfect square at a set distance or range such as to write on a disc or do you get a square beam over distance ?

I need to take it outside and find out! My working distance in my shop is ~25 feet and at that range it's....amazing! My N465 build is still waiting for final assembly but I've got an M140 I can play with outdoors tonight. I'll get back to you......

Techhood has new diodes..only listed s 350mW 36usd each atm. Came from a tray not a sled.
Contact JunkTronic about buying some of his leftover parts.. He has harvested MANY diodes from a bunch of sleds. TY for the info!!!
btw these 350mW 405s are even cheaper at AliBaba.. two diodes are $25 each as 'samples' BUT $26 for DHL shipping. I always saw AliBaba as a risky place to buy..

I recently grabbed a few of these from Junktronix. I noticed right away that "SB103B281" is printed on the top of the can. The Chinese suppliers pics do not show this on any of the listings. Are they the same diodes???

Not sure,but if you have a LPM,you can test other 400ma,then up to 800-900-1100ma
If diode survival,maybe it is the same
And this i have 1.6mrad divergence with G2

The diode does just fine at 1 amp and the divergence is very nice as well for a multi-mode. Junktronix guarantees them to work at 1.5 watts and I don't doubt it.

Proceed at your own risk...............CAUTION!..........LED. Oops, I have to reach back into my pocket.