Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1.5w 405nm

I haven't, but it is a multi mode diode from the photos of the beam profile. The guy at junktronix has a good reputation for sending out what he claims. If you can use a multi mode laser for your application, this could work for you.

junktronix has been around a LONG time--very reliable and will help..
this comes with a lens and a driver.. could be made zoomable with the stepper it has.
we need a thread on using these.. unfair for us to keep asking for help for ourselves, and instead put any help into a thread.. ..if you know how.. you can reach JT and ask for forum price. (over >there) cheeper than eekbay ..

UPdate Bump
copypasta about these 405s --
I am asking seller for a group buy price.. he is only selling 'over there' and via ebay (no waiting there)
MMMMMMMMMMMM some stuff to read about this 405 1500mW and lots of extras.

the diode size...
5.6mm with 2 isolated leads so no photodiode
I have a chance to get a bunch of modules with an unknown 405nm laser diode that in testing here makes 1W at about 700mA and >1.4W at 1.0A. The modules are weirdly shaped and have a driver that I haven't fully reverse engineered, but also include a G-2 type collimating lens coated specifically for 405nm so they are very low loss. When I got some of these a few years ago I found it was fairly easy to extract the diode and the lens for use in more standard (i.e. Aixiz 12mm) modules. Is there any interest in high power near UV diodes there days?

MMMMMMMMM
I'll get pictures and more details soon. These are in fact multi-mode diodes, but the module includes anamorphic correction so the output is circularized. I test them all at 1250mA to make sure they can handle it, but recommend running them at 1.0A for 1.4-1.5W output. The threshold is around 225mA and fold-back doesn't happen until around 1300mA. Here is my preliminary power vs. current plot

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Here are some pictures. They are the weird shape because 20 of them were aimed at a small area in a high brightness video wall display module. The driver seems to have analog and ttl modulation, but the analog signal is 0 to /negative/ 0.15V. The diode supply is supposed to be 8.65V, though I'll see if anything melts with a 12V supply. The anamorphic correction is a single optic that I originally thought was just a weak lens used to aim the beam (it can be moved in X and Y, but is glued in position once aligned). The last couple of pictures show the collimated beam with and w/o the anamorphic lens. I'll get measurements and do the divergence calcs soon.

It is a teeny tiny stepper motor with a worm gear used to rotate an AR coated block of glass (quartz?) so as to offset the beam left/right by 2 or 3mm.

I was seeing some weird behavior using the built-in driver so I re-did my power and voltage versus current plot driving the diode directly. Turns out fold-back doesn't happen until around 1.5A with the diode making about 1.9W. I'd still recommend running at 1.0A for about 1.5W output. After I do beam measurements and divergence calcs, I'll spend some time trying to fully reverse engineer the driver board.

A bit more info - I measured the spot at 10m to be around 25 x 25mm (with the anamorphic correction) which gives a divergence of 2.5mrad.

I also plotted the 16X blu-ray diode power on the same chart as these guys so you can easily compare performance. Do note that I'm testing my diode with the anamorphic correction optic installed.
from david (405 uber pro)
hanks for this, Junktronix!

So stepping back with my glow in the dark hat on <edit - I really want a glow in the dark hat now>, I'm thinking two of these stacked to get 3W of fill beams as opposed to my current 750mw of slightly de-focused fill beam from one single mode 16x diode.

I wonder if due to the poor corrected beam specs on the multimode diode if stacking 4 of the 750mw might make more sense to get 3W of fill beam. (Fills take forever compared to doing tight outlines, so a more powerful fill beam is certainly attractive either way.)

Please let us know if you get some pricing on these so we can evaluate the cost/benefit further.

The beam shape at the module is roughly 1mm x 4mm so it should be reasonably easy to knife-edge a couple of them. Or 2 pairs combined with a waveplate and PBS cube. I'll PM Photonlexicon pricing since I'll be asking more for them from the general public
Good to see there is some interest in these. I'm hoping some of you will figure out more about the modules and share with the rest of us. As incentive, I'll give 2 free bonus modules for the first person to figure out a way to use the built-in driver without needing a negative voltage for the modulation signal (+1 module for a complete reverse-engineered schematic) and for the first person to provide a decent 3D model of the module (+1 module if you share the design on Fusion360) to help people integrate them into their projects

I'm keeping the PL member pricing to PMs right now. PM me if I haven't already sent you PL pricing. To order, paypal $price x # of modules + $7.20 for Priority Mail small flat rate box to paypal@junktronix.com. International shipping by Priority Mail flat rate will be $35.25. I'll ship in a padded envelope by first class if you really want me to, but you must take all responsibility for loss or damage.

For now I don't have time to disassemble the modules to sell the diode and optics as individual components. If you want to extract the diode and don't have a press tool, it should be possible to saw the copper heat spreader it's pressed into and then split it open. The collimator can be extracted by heating the epoxy with a hot air gun and pressing it out with a soft object like a q-tip. I will, if you request it, desolder the driver board if you don't have a good, anti-static vacuum desoldering tool.

I'll test each module individually. Briefly at 1250mA to make sure they have lots of headroom, and then at 1000mA to check operating power. I'll guarantee they make > 1.4W @ 1000ma. Most have been closer to 1.5W.

I put the pinout of the driver board on a second tab in the spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I suspect the modulation input can be changed from the weird 0 to -0.15V to a more reasonable positive range by rewiring the signal to the non inverting input of the instrumentation amp and reducing the gain of the amp. However, please note that the 2 transistors in parallel on the driver board are rated for 1000mA and the driver behaves weirdly above that. I've run it up to 2A without killing it, but I'd definitely recommend using a different driver if you're going to push the diodes to 1000mA or more. The spreadsheet data were collected while driving the diode with an external driver. I've been using a current limited bench supply for all my testing to avoid any possibility of over-driving the diodes. Any suggestions for a good quality, reasonably priced 1.5A diode driver with analog or fast TTL modulation would be appreciated.

I have not yet tried driving the tiny stepper motor, but it's a simple 4 wire motor and should be easy to wire up. It should be ideal for knife-edging since the rotating glass block offsets the beam left/right by a few mm without changing the aiming.
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

I'm in for a couple and I intend to extract the diodes, stack 'em and run them with BBE's Simpledrive v2.5.

http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/ENA2060-D.PDF
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
09-20-2018, 14:44 #25 Junktronix's Avatar Junktronix Junktronix is offline

Another update. I found that the laser diode can be removed from the copper heat spreader by just bending the copper a bit. The diode pops out with zero stress or chance of damage like if you used a press tool.

On eBay now - https://www.ebay.com/itm/113257993344IMG_2235 1500 405 'dot'.JPGIMG_2232 open 'sled' 1500mW 405.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2226 as IT COMES 405 1500 mW.JPG
    IMG_2226 as IT COMES 405 1500 mW.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2227 405 1500 other side.JPG
    IMG_2227 405 1500 other side.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2227 405 1500 other side.JPG
    IMG_2227 405 1500 other side.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I don't see these doing 2+ watts, but for a multi mode 405nm diode, 1.5 watts is plenty. I'm not currently interested in this diode, but it was great of Len to supply all this information on these assemblies.

GROUP BUY TIME??
I know the seller...
waiting on a quote for 10 pcs GB.. 3 are already spoken-for>>>
depending upon price , of course.

I did not want to send anyone anywhere --so I copypasta most..the pics where made by JTronics-- great detail.. he always has awesome photos.

loaded the last pic showing an improved spot quite round.. I plan to cube two together.. (PBS from techhood) and a second dual build w/ 44s with PBS from dave.. (high power capable)IMG_2236 improved spot shape.JPG

Thanks Wiz
hak 3 pcs-(one is for a friend)
Wiz 2 pcs... no quote yet for price..
the ship to me will be $7.20- so 72 cents added per 'diode'

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Thank you! The BDR-209 wasn't quite enough power for my wife's fabric cutter. I tried a '44 and that has the power but lacks a certain amount of precision due the the lopsided 'spot'. If I can focus one or two of these into a smaller dot for fine work that would make her very happy.

Have any members purchased/tested one of these? Just ran across them on fleabay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Power...:USPSPriorityMailSmallFlatRateBox!36582!US!-1
well
afaik Junktronics is a forum member. and he does detailed testing of all his wonderful finds.
according to eekbay he has sold 13(?) & no doubt some/most were to forum members. (not this forum)
NOT counting the ones sold to forum members w/o going thru feebay.. so YES these have been tested and no newz is good newz --right?

I don't see these doing 2+ watts, but for a multi mode 405nm diode, 1.5 watts is plenty. I'm not currently interested in this diode, but it was great of Len to supply all this information on these assemblies.
Surely not as delicate as the single mode?

This diode is legit , i am running one at 1.1 AMP and it is doing around 1.6 watts. The diode Needs a good heat sink because it produces a lot of heat. It is not as tight as a BDR, but it's powerful!!!! I was touched by its beam 1-2 times on my hand durring testing. It feels like a 5W 445. I tested it with a G-2 lens. G-2 is ok but a lot of splash. 3 element provides a good profile( oval). The lens has to be close to the diode to burn anything. But it is a good burner! I like it , and i bought 2 more.

hak 3 pcs-(one is for a friend)
Wiz 2 pcs... no quote yet for price..
Danny (VV) one--
Coonie 1 pc

PLEASE note.. all pics used by me (so far) are the work of JTronics..
I will post my own once I have one in hand. They will not be as good.

anybody who wants can start a thread of these.. we all can add to it.
ATM It is looking good! We learned that removing from the copper is no challange..
BUT any who are 'brand new' do NOT overlook ESD precautions.. & short ALL caps EVERY time

'plus'
a dummy load is the 'ONLYEST ' what to safely set your mA.

until I know more I am assuming the most we can get will be 10 pcs..I am currently VERY busy but still looking for a reply from Junktronics. feel free to contact him via ebay but careful what you write.. iirc there is more info at the listing.
no one should be worried about his REP.. he is NOT new & myb you are newer ..so ..

I hope we can get enough for many to have one of these... a dual of them would pair nicely with 3.5W blue--
that being said -- I wish I had one in hand NOW.. but no can do.. also I want to give others some time to join in..
I have a 'affair' to work this weekend-- so last week in Oct might be the pay or quit time lol

Last edited: