Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1.1watt laser igniting plain white printer paper

I see lots of people saying their 1w+ lasers dont ignite paper... well here is proof that they can pretty easily

This laser is for sale. Sale thread is the huge link in my sig :yh:

Yup, my 1.2W 445nm also lights paper with ease. It's all about the technique. For people who can't light paper on fire, try burning a small circle in the paper. That usually helps with the fire starting.

i've never tried. are you focusing to infinty or a close up focal point.

focal point. Make a small circle. what you want is the focal point to hit the ambers you are making in the paper, if you keep following them, the paper will ignite

just tried it. it's kind of tricky. but i did it LoL. ah, the simple things in life make me so happy.

dang i didnt know that you can do that on white paper an is that a 1watt blue ...if so thats crazy

@chipdouglas yea it can be tricky but I have gotten pretty good at it, I can always light paper within 10 seconds. What you want is the light on the paper to glow a kind of pinkish orange color (as seen through goggles) this indicates you are pointing on an amber and flame should follow pretty quickly.

@justin lawson Yes. it is a 1.1w blue. I posted this video because I see so many people saying their yobresal lasers (and other 445nm 1w lasers) can't light paper. Well here is a laser around the same power doing it with ease :cool:

@chipdouglas yea it can be tricky but I have gotten pretty good at it, I can always light paper within 10 seconds. What you want is the light on the paper to glow a kind of pinkish orange color (as seen through goggles) this indicates you are pointing on an amber and flame should follow pretty quickly.

@justin lawson Yes. it is a 1.1w blue. I posted this video because I see so many people saying their yobresal lasers (and other 445nm 1w lasers) can't light paper. Well here is a laser around the same power doing it with ease :cool:

There is easily enough power in these laser to ignite the white paper. The problem most people have is that they burn straight through the paper so quickly it doesn't have time to ignite it. But as you mentioned simply going in a circular motion with the laser to follow the ember path will quickly ignite the paper. Another option would be to defocus the laser slightly so it doesn't burn straight throught he paper so quickly.

I usually do it by slightly defocusing the beam, besides this there are kind of white papers that ignite easier than others, I guess it has something to do with diferent coatings. Anyway I always end up with a flame, even with thick white paper cardboard.

I usually do it by slightly defocusing the beam, besides this there are kind of white papers that ignite easier than others, I guess it has something to do with diferent coatings. Anyway I always end up with a flame, even with thick white paper cardboard.

Yea i got flame doing that too, but the method shown in video was the fastest for me :)

Yea there are different chemicals that allow for easier ignition, i think that is mostly in the paper in magazines. This was just plain old printer paper ;)

Ash

I have lit regular magazine paper on fire with my yobresal >1W 445nm.
Video:

I'll have to try to ignite plain white printer paper next. :cool: