Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Younger people with lasers?

How old do you think someone should be to handle/operate/view high power lasers? (Like 200mw-2w)
A lot of kids wouldn't be responsible enough to wear safety glasses I think, but some could be.
I am asking because of my ten year old brother.

Last edited:

Things

Age doesn't mean anything, it's maturity. You need to determine if your brother is mature enough to handle a laser. Start off with something low powered, less than 5mW, and if he acts stupid with it, you've got your answer.

Gun

I'm pretty young (between 10 and 16 ;)) and I feel I am mature enough to handle high-power lasers. As Things said, I don't think age means anything.

You need to determine if your brother is mature enough to handle a laser. Start off with something low powered, less than 5mW, and if he acts stupid with it, you've got your answer.
How did you know he was asking about his brother? :p

Last edited:
I trust my little brother (9) with a high powered laser but I don't trust my older brother (22) age means nothing

Gun

I trust my little brother (9) with a high powered laser but I don't trust my older brother (22) age means nothing

Haha, your older brother must be pretty immature :p

I also just noticed that this thread's turning into an Aussie gathering! :D

Haha, your older brother must be pretty immature :p

I also just noticed that this thread's turning into an Aussie gathering! :D

Hell yea he is, he doesn't think light can hurt him, tsk tsk tsk.

Haha just noticed

Laik

I am 15 and i agree with the others here, age doesn't mean anything. I trust my 9 year old sister more than my 18 year old cousin. I gave it to him for a few sec and before i gave it to him i said "Don't shine it at any cars." So what does he do? He shines it at a car and i tell you what, i gave him what was coming! Why do you ask this question as well, are you just curious?

@Gun whats with you changing your profile pic all the time? haha

Gun

I am 15 and i agree with the others here, age doesn't mean anything. I trust my 9 year old sister more than my 18 year old cousin. I gave it to him for a few sec and before i gave it to him i said "Don't shine it at any cars." So what does he do? He shines it at a car and i tell you what, i gave him what was coming! Why do you ask this question as well, are you just curious?

@Gun whats with you changing your profile pic all the time? haha

I dunno haha, can't decide what I want, although I think I'll be sticking with this one for a while now :D

Laik

That's good because i remember people from looking at their profile pictures. Haha :)

I think some will want to show their friends who will proceed to beg for a "go" on it.
Cant help feeling that it may get abused somewhere along the line ..
Still.. not tarring everyone with the same brush

Laik

I think some will want to show their friends who will proceed to beg for a "go" on it.
Cant help feeling that it may get abused somewhere along the line ..
Still.. not tarring everyone with the same brush

Very true

I'm about the same age as you guys, Gun and Laik.... I feel I can be safe with a laser because I have read a ton about safety and stuff, even how lasers work.
Laik I'm asking because of my little brother, he is 10.
Thanks for your opinions guys, and stories about idiot "adults." :thanks:
I'll let him use it, as long as he is smart with it. :lasergun:

My son is about to be 8, and he handles mine all the time, but he treats it like a loaded gun, has his own set of goggles, and most of all I am always there to supervise. We treat it like its dangerous, because they are!

Last edited:

norbyx

To understand what a laser can do if not handled properly is a thing that most young people might just not get.
For a kid, to brake the rule is just a second nature. Would I give a kid a high power laser? No, I would give him a low power pointer and see how he behaves, and at the first sign of dangerous behavior I would make him understand why it is dangerous.
I would keep him with a low power laser until he is "mature" enough to handle a hi power one.

Truth is that we all have a kid inside that tells us to brake the rules and to use the laser in a way it shouldn't, the grown up knows how to control that little kid inside, the inmature will just do what his guts dictate him to.

Laik

I think we have all come to a conclusion. It doesn't matter how old they are, the only thing that matters is how mature they are and if they understand what lasers can do. If someone wants to argue against me, that's fine because i am always up for a friendly debate :)

Make sure your older brother doesnt get a hold of the package coming your way......might not be a pretty sight

bth_32.gif