Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Yet Another 445nm "First Build" :D

Hey folks,

Well maybe you are all sick of blue builds ... now everyone wants one or two :D
but I wanted to build a 445nm handheld since I learned about their existence :D so here is my try..

the host is from DX - I really like this one :) it's big and dangerous :D:D oh and scary :D :crackup:

I got the diode and lens from the famous forum member - DTR (thanks man :bowdown:) neatly packed and all in perfect condition :)
it's sad to say that I crushed one of those diodes in my first attempt.. because of my custom heatsink i couldn't get it out of it properly ... I had to buy another one ... but I did well on my second attempt :D

the driver is from DX again ... I had built my own using LM1085 but I found the round shape of the DX one more suiting for my needs so I used that one ... I modded it to 1.67A using 0.15ohm resistor instead of the factory 0.20ohm.

the heatsink is custom made i did all the measurements and sketches and also a custom focusing ring which I put right under the "crown" of the host. The threads of the upper body are long enough to be able to set the focus how I want without the body falling apart :D .. I am using 3 x 16340 unprotected now PROTECTED batteries...

I can't actually measure the output of the diode ... I don't have a LPM ... with these batteries on my test load I get 1.5A, I am assuming it's 1.67A when the diode is attached... or 1.5A :D:D I don't know.. wish I had a LPM.. at least it is getting enough juice :D I hope it is efficient :)

ah well.. I hope you didn't fall asleep because......

here come the photos and maybe later a video of me being stupid :D:D

p.s. if any questions pls ask ....

Attachments

• DSC01631.JPG
    DSC01631.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 273
  • DSC01632.JPG
    DSC01632.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 269
  • DSC01636.JPG
    DSC01636.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC01638.JPG
    DSC01638.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 327
  • DSC01794.JPG
    DSC01794.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC01795.JPG
    DSC01795.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC01630.JPG
    DSC01630.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 269
  • DSC01796.JPG
    DSC01796.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:

Attachments

• DSC01801.JPG
    DSC01801.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC01819.JPG
    DSC01819.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC01806.JPG
    DSC01806.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC01804.JPG
    DSC01804.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC01803.JPG
    DSC01803.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC01802.JPG
    DSC01802.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC01800.JPG
    DSC01800.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC01798.JPG
    DSC01798.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

DTR

Very nice. Sorry to hear about your first diode.:beer:

I thought I would get some comments at least how bad it is :D but not even that :D:D :((( I am sad.... :undecided::crackup: UP UP UP come on some comments please ... :(

Last edited:
It is always great to see someone do a nice DIY build. That is really the most fun way in my opinion, and usually cheaper.
Congratulations on your 445nm build, seeing that blue light come out the end is gratifying.:beer:

Keep'em coming!

thanks fellows, finally some comments :D:D:D

I wish I could make my own hosts and everything but I can't afford it :D anyway I can barely save some money for a laser project ... but I keep saving for the next one .. I am thinking about doing a 405nm or IR I am not sure yet ... I would want the next one to be able to be ON indefinitely...

so I may build a labby style one .. with BIG heatsink ... :) or maybe a spirograph ... i just saw some small mirrors the other day and I will buy them today to have some fun :p :san::whistle: :beer:

Last edited:
Yes, looks good. Did you do the machining yourself? It's interesting that you made the diode press fit in from the front of the sink. :gj:

Last edited:
Yes, looks good. Did you do the machining yourself? It's interesting that you made the diode press fit in from the front of the sink. :gj:

yes I have a neighbor who owns a lathe, I messed up a couple of pieces before I did the final heatsink... the bed for the diode was getting wider than expected :D ... I had to drill tighter holes ... I even did the final widening of the diode bed by hand with the drill very slowly to achieve the exact press fit diameter... the aluminum is somewhat soft and can easily overshoot yourself :D..... I did the diode in front because of the focus... to be able to get a tighter focus when the focus ring is in the middle position .. and get a wider focus when the ring is fully tightened... (hope you understood that.... I didn't :whistle: :D:D:D )

EDIT: i think i miss read your post there... :D now I see it .. yes I made the press fit in front cuz I wanted to make a whole piece like those LED "drop-in" modules... the diode and its driver in one body and it fits perfectly :)

:beer:

Last edited:
yes I have a neighbor who owns a lathe, I messed up a couple of pieces before I did the final heatsink... the bed for the diode was getting wider than expected :D ... I had to drill tighter holes ... I even did the final widening of the diode bed by hand with the drill very slowly to achieve the exact press fit diameter... the aluminum is somewhat soft and can easily overshoot yourself :D..... I did the diode in front because of the focus... to be able to get a tighter focus when the focus ring is in the middle position .. and get a wider focus when the ring is fully tightened... (hope you understood that.... I didn't :whistle: :D:D:D )

EDIT: i think i miss read your post there... :D now I see it .. yes I made the press fit in front cuz I wanted to make a whole piece like those LED "drop-in" modules... the diode and it's driver in one body and it fits perfectly :)

:beer:

Very cool. "A" for effort. :) We always enjoy someone who has the initiative to make stuff themselves. :beer:

Yea, I always make my heatsinks a "drop-in" module if possible. Makes maintenance and assembly easier. ;) (less things for the customer to break as well when they take the laser apart out of curiosity. :p )

benmwv

I just can't figure out how you adjust the focus. The only thing I can think of is that the focus adapter is attached to the assault crown and you turn that, or it is just 'fixed' and you turn it with a screw driver.

I just can't figure out how you adjust the focus. The only thing I can think of is that the focus adapter is attached to the assault crown and you turn that, or it is just 'fixed' and you turn it with a screw driver.

hi there, no you got it all wrong... the crown is just holding the focus adapter in place ... I turn the whole upper part .. wait just look at the pictures ... i think you will figure it out :) :) :beer:

I didn't want to put an Aixiz module and use the focusing ring of it... it is just not comfortable and with that power it is even dangerous ... I personally don't like aixiz modules... :undecided: not to mention adjusting it with a screwdriver... :X :X

Attachments

• rotation.jpg
    rotation.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 209
  • focus ring.jpg
    focus ring.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 184
  • all parts.jpg
    all parts.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 216

benmwv

Oh ok that makes much more sense. That's awesome that you just turn the whole head.

I did some polishing on the focus ring .. it's not a perfect mirror but it is almost like it :) it sure looks better now :D

I might be selling this laser ... but I am not sure yet.. :undecided:
I need money but I don't want to part with it .... anyone interested? PM me :p :beer:

Attachments

• DSC00108.JPG
    DSC00108.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 198
Dude thats a sick host, very agressive. I might even use it for my own 445 when the time comes; That is, if i can stop being in love with the stainless steel cree hosts :p

I also dont like aixiz modules, and I think a bunch of people here don't like them either but have to settle with them because of lack of tools. Aixiz modules are chrome plated brass if i remember right, which is an ok heat transmission for low powered builds. However, when you crank up the power you really do need aluminum or copper. :/