Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

X100 Review. Quite disappointed...

Davo said:
that can only be scratched from being opened from customs or before it was sent out, how can it get scratched that bad from shipping if its in a case with foam padding holding it in place?

They do testing before they send it out. Mine was scratched and sticker slightly peeling upon arrival.. no customs.. I live local to Nova.

ArRaY

Rangedunits said:
If u ask them theyl send stickers

What do you mean with stickers? Well I´d be perfect If they would only send me a new apeture cap and tailcap, the laser as is is great. I can live with the divergence, and If I start to get annoyed by it will either send it back or reposition the lens myself when that point is reached.

I just realised that my 'review' is no review ;D I comepletely forgot about the good parts :D

ArRaY

Benm

AoiShikaku said:
They do testing before they send it out.  Mine was scratched and sticker slightly peeling upon arrival.. no customs.. I live local to Nova.

Nosy postal workers, perhaps? ;)

I just read a post in the green laser section "Nova Lasers" thread that said, "NovaLasers is no longer selling their Nova Series high powered lasers due to not finding a suitable replacement".  If you go to their website they are all out of stock :-?  I have also read several posts that say Nova is not participating in the forums anymore :-? And now I have read 2 or more post of people getting banged up lasers :eek:  I'm beginning to wonder if NovaLasers is going out of business and dumping their merchandise :eek:  I'll post this separately to see what everyone's thought is but to me it doesn't look good :-/

JLSE

hmmmm...FDA? Maybe they lost their import abilities? I shoud take a drive by and look for a UHaul truck, or maybe not :p

JLSE

If its Gov. related, I doubt there will be any sales, a trend of closing Canadian sellers may appear if thats the case.

ArRaY said:
Hey guys! Today I finally received my X100, that I ordered on the 25.9 and that was shipped on 26.9. ... shipping time of  4+31+4 days. ... ended up paying a total of 44€ for taxes...

Hi / Servus aus Wien,

that's two out of three reasons why I'd just assume buy a handheld laser made in (or at least sold out of) the EU. I'm amazed that customs didn't give you a hard time for "importing" a 100mW laser in the first place...  :eek:

I see that you're in Germany (I'm currently residing in vienna, AT). I was hoping to find something out of Germany but so far I've only found a few companies in the UK, such as megagreen.co.uk
I noted one review in the forums over their 50mW pointer that sells for  €78 + shipping. Since it's in the EU, there will be no customs issues... .

Would you happen to know of any other vendor in the EU? Why did you go for a Novalaser, because of it's positive reputation among forum members? It's really a shame that despite mostly positive feedback that you can still get a "lemon"...  :(

Fotons

I hope they get it together, I noticed on there website that some were saying "out of stock" are now say they have them...we'll wait and see.

Well, looks like you got a bad one :(.

Most of NOVAlasers, lasers are good.

Yea, send it back if you like.

But if you think you can fix it then you should, but be carful.

As for the scratches, a bit of a mystery.

cni lasers are very tricky to work on my techlaser 95 aka infinity was my first experiance with cni types  well i tore a small IC chip halfway off the driver
so be real carefull on these --i did solder it back on though thank God for that  :p

I wouldn't call this unit 'a bad one'. the scratches are uncalled for and should be fixed. Period.

BUT the lens not being centered is not an issue. In fact, it could degrade performance if it were centered (if the lens was centered over the hole but the beam wasn't on center with the lens, it could cause some weird focal issues depending on what type of lens it is. This is not really likely but I'm sure they have a method to their maddness when putting the lenses on not-so-straight). With these hand-held pointers it is really hard to get the crystals and output aligned PERFECTLY STRAIGHT along with having peak performance. The lens in mine isn't centered either. Also, the output isn't crooked because that lens. All the lens does is collimate, so any 'crookedness' is happening before that lens.

Also, the divergence may only LOOK bad due to the power of the laser. The more power it has, the bigger the dot is going to look. You need to shine it on a matte black surface (still not the best way to view the size) or look at it with laser safety glasses (best way) in order to see the true dot size at any given distance.

Do you have pics of the angled beam? I'd like to see how bad it is compared to my X125 which has the same problem.

The angled beam is fairly common up to a point. All CNI portables have poor divergence, and the IR filter is before the collimating lens.

It may or may not be worth returning.