Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB yellow laser

Been looking at some LaserGlow stuff after reading a thread about yellow lasers. I understand the prices are high but the power level of their options seemed out of whack with the cost; but it may be that I just don't understand the market.

In any case I am wondering if anyone has a better option for something in 589nm; or close to that.

There are some 575nm yellows that look more like lemon yellow than 589nm does. I bought one for $60.00 including shipping and with a few modifications, get out close to 50 mW now. They have been out of stock on the crystals needed for these DPSS lasers, but there are people who are still waiting for ones they paid for a couple of months ago. These are lab lasers, but can be made into a handheld if you would prefer. It depends on when they will have more in stock.

You can try contacting CNI directy. They're the supplier for sites like Laserglow and Dragonlasers. Laserglow seems to get more specialized products for their high-end lab grade offerings but their high-end consumer pointers are basically stock CNI lasers with better quality control standards for what they import - the import and QC explains the high markup. I'm not sure where their 5mW greenies are coming from.
Directly ordering from CNI usually gets you a laser with high peak power but not so great stability. I think they recognize that the hobbyists that order from them tend to get excited about peak power more than anything else. However, if you request something more stable, they are willing to oblige. Since the LPF group buys ended some years ago, I don't know how CNI's relationship is with the forum members or whether they accept single orders, but it's worth asking. Direct from CNI prices were pretty good when the group buys were running. I got a 750mW 532 for 3 or 4 hundred bucks (if I recall correctly), which was a big deal back in those days. The "5mW" 589nm I ordered from them averaged 6 or 7mW with a peak around 13, I think. I don't remember what I paid but it was cheap compared to Laserglow. CNI was also willing to export laser pointers that exceed 5mW - Laserglow's pointers top out at 5mW.

Part of the reason the group buys got us such good deals was because the import and shipping costs were shared among many and there were often quantity discounts for products that were ordered in multiples.
If you can find others to go in with you on a couple or a few items, that may help bring the overall cost down further.

Speaking of... Dragonlasers is another place to check out. They're another retailer of CNI but are based in Asia.

That said, for 589, a used one will get you the best deal. Sorry I don't have one to offer but I hope this info is helpful. 589nm is a nice color. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
Been looking at some LaserGlow stuff after reading a thread about yellow lasers. I understand the prices are high but the power level of their options seemed out of whack with the cost; but it may be that I just don't understand the market.

In any case I am wondering if anyone has a better option for something in 589nm; or close to that.

You may be disappointed expecting yellow. That wavelength produces a sodium vapor light type color. There are diode lab lasers that lase true yellow.

Hi Rage,
Yes some labby;s have a module that can be isolated from the host to make a hand held. Here's one for ya.

Rich:)

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_910.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_910.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 19
  • fullsizeoutput_90b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_90b.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 29
  • fullsizeoutput_90d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_90d.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 26
  • fullsizeoutput_904.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_904.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 26
  • fullsizeoutput_908.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_908.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 21
Oooh! I second Polonium's request. I did look through your laser pics. Nice. I do like the RGB types!
Hi Rage,
Yes some labby;s have a module that can be isolated from the host to make a hand held. Here's one for ya.

Hi,
Thanks Red, Would like to get some more of these modules for builds.
I would take some beam shots but the camera won't take the yellow WL good. But I assure you the beam is yellow what an awesome WL

Pouie

I figured I would bump this thread instead of starting one:

Anyone want to purchase my 50mW Dragon Laser 589nm?

Looks like on their site it is about $450 after shipping.

Why not buy it from me for $390 (shipped - CONUS only), save $60 and not have to worry about long shipping time, customs, or getting a defective unit? :)

References would be:
eBay: yodamunkey (171 feedback 100% - member since Aug 2003)
Fragrance Swap on Facebook - I've had over 100 successful sales on there -

Thanks! :D

^^^There you go 'Rage'.. I too was a first puzzled about these wavelength numbers 6mW for $$ and that one at 60mW for $$ -- its apples and oranges.
Even things like the old 'average new price' of a quality 532.. $1usd per mW.. so a .5W would and did cost $ 500 (then)
AFAIK yellow( & orange etc) is hardly 'in demand'.. only labs-universities and wavelength jocks use/want them.. not found in almost all RGB projectors. BUT seeing just 6mW of yellow is a joy- and plenty bright too.. same power in yellow HeNe would cost more than the DPSS. mine was >$300(& a Kasio A-130 sans diodes) w/o PS BUT hand delivered by Sam. (at SELEM)

What ever happened to those 575 nm lasers we could get cheap, for awhile? Last I heard they couldn’t reproduce the crystals.

Hi Alaskan,
Here are the pics you seen with a 575 module already inside,
Rich..fullsizeoutput_90b.jpegfullsizeoutput_904.jpegfullsizeoutput_908.jpegfullsizeoutput_910.jpeg