Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB homemade red full build

Durge

Hey all,
Today I'm looking to add a somewhat quality red pointer to my collection.

My budget is around 60usd including shipping. Not too concerned about WL or output power, just want something that is somewhat bright, with a reliable diode; a nice piece for my collection.

Thanks for lookin. :whistle:

Did you not find something on eBay? There should be some available there for much less than $60.00. I believe you can find a 650nm pointer at ~200 mW for less than $25.00. I would check 650nm and 660nm pointers there. You will get a much lower power rating as they under spec them to conform to FDA regulations. The 5 mW is always far too low. The larger pointers like the 301 and 303 are likely the higher power ones you can find there.

Wow Paul!
The title clearly said homemade but you missed that yes, He said bright 650 isn’t bright, A nice piece for my collection is definatly not a 303!

I really couldn’t care less it will sell, why not let a thread go from time to time do you have to stick your opinion in every thread, so
F————— anoying!

Last edited:
Wow Paul!
The title clearly said homemade but you missed that yes, He said bright 650 isn’t bright, A nice piece for my collection is definatly not a 303!

I really couldn’t care less it will sell, why not let a thread go from time to time do you have to stick your opinion in every thread, so
F————— anoying!

What is your problem? I was only giving him more information about where he might find some red single mode lasers at a reasonable price. I don't care about your lasers or if they sell. I had conversed with Durge in other threads about getting a red single mode laser before this thread. It has NOTHING to do with you.

BTW, Durge. They also have 638nm single mode laser pointers on eBay for far less money too.

Hi,
Here are a few pics of how bright a 638nm at 860mW's . Paul brought up some good points here , you can find a 200mW for cheap if you want a commercially built laser. You just need to shop around. When you say home made many here are custom home made by machining the host then adding the good stuff .
@BBB,
Relax buddy its all good ...

Rich:)

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_935.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_935.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 9
  • fullsizeoutput_936.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_936.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 9
  • fullsizeoutput_937.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_937.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 6
  • fullsizeoutput_798.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_798.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
These Mitsubishi ML501P73 diode lasers can output over 1 watt of power at 638nm. It is a remarkably inexpensive diode, but it has terrible beam specs as it diverges in one axis quite badly making a line instead of a dot at even short distances. Oclaro makes a 638nm diode that looks about the same as the Mits, but it won't take getting driven as hard and it is somewhat more costly. I prefer the single mode diodes like the LPC-826, 836 or 840. These are single mode diodes at 650nm. I have one outputting very close to 400 mW. They cost about $10.00 at most. I am using the LPC-840 in mine. It makes a very small dot even with a single element short focal length aspheric lens.

Durge

Thank you all for the responses. Admittedly, I've used ebay for much longer than I should have in my lifetime. I've had some mixed experiences, particularly negative ones when purchasing lasers. I remember purchasing one of those green gatling lasers a few years back, just to have it mislabled as 1w, and packaged with batteries that ultimately fried the diode. This was before I became more educated on the forum. I also received a pen laser at one point which didn't match the design in the photos. Now I really have an appreciation for a more quality handcrafted pointer, and realize that I may have set my budget a little low if I'm looking to purchase something homemade. That being said, I'm still glad to have these replies, as it gives me perspective to save-up for in the future. I may end up going with a Mitsu, inspite of the poor divergence, because reviews seem to favor it's longevity over the Oclaro. I could be wrong about that, but I believe I've read more than one forum post regarding failing Oclaros, and would like to avoid that if at all possible. I will give ebay another look through, and I've even started glancing over some of the pointers sold on the suggested stores on lpf.

Last edited:

kecked

If you want to home build, a diode I like but not sure is still around is the 185mw 642nm Mitsubishi diodes. Beam specs rock and it’s not real expensive. I also think the red is nice because it looks more red than orange and still gives a good balance between power and eye sensitivity. Yes it is lower power and yes it won’t burn but it’s a really nice beam and color. As for drivers and case I leave that to others. I used a quad of these in my graphics projector.

The problem with the 660nm650nm diodes is that the eye sensitivity is poor so while you put out 250mw it’s not as bright to your eye as 100mw 638nm. Even my suggested 642nm is really much dimmer than 638nm only a few nm away. That’s the trade off for a true red over an orange. Now that said by itself it will look red. It’s not until you lay it next to a deeper red you’ll notice it’s orange.

Thank you all for the responses. Admittedly, I've used ebay for much longer than I should have in my lifetime. I've had some mixed experiences, particularly negative ones when purchasing lasers. I remember purchasing one of those green gatling lasers a few years back, just to have it mislabled as 1w, and packaged with batteries that ultimately fried the diode. This was before I became more educated on the forum. I also received a pen laser at one point which didn't match the design in the photos. Now I really have an appreciation for a more quality handcrafted pointer, and realize that I may have set my budget a little low if I'm looking to purchase something homemade. That being said, I'm still glad to have these replies, as it gives me perspective to save-up for in the future. I may end up going with a Mitsu, inspite of the poor divergence, because reviews seem to favor it's longevity over the Oclaro. I could be wrong about that, but I believe I've read more than one forum post regarding failing Oclaros, and would like to avoid that if at all possible. I will give ebay another look through, and I've even started glancing over some of the pointers sold on the suggested stores on lpf.

As long as the divergence doesn't bother you, the Mitsubishi ML501P73 is a great laser diode for a bright red/orange beam. You can push them to 1.2 amps. I'm sure others have pushed them even harder, but I tend to be conservative in this respect. The Vf is quite low on this diode, so a buck driver works great for it. I have one doing a little over 1 watt using a buck driver and it has been lasing for more than three years. I had two Oclaro diodes when they were still new around here and lost them both trying to drive them at 1 amp. They are listed as 700 mW and the Mits is listed as 500 mW, but that makes no difference when you are driving them at 1 amp or more. Don't put it into a pen build unless you are content with very short run times. I put mine in a sinner's Cyprus II all copper host. It is more host than is needed for this diode, but I can't complain about short run times. Good luck to you. :)

PM coming concerning 'completed' or 'full build ' over 5mW made/sold in USA and the law.

Who said over 5mw specifically?
WHO?
Any laser <(less than ) 5 mW (not mw) is legal -- (to sell)
that is what the FDA sez..
what CAN happen also-- I sell you a laser I made..- you injure yrself or someone --who gets a lawyer.. and they go after the seller and the maker (if in USA)

but you are right- you only wrote : 'Not too concerned about WL or output power, ' 'true dat'
my bad.. but everyone else is talking way more than 5 mW.. tru dat?
5mW red will not be bright nor visible by day and seeing the beam at night may require heavy fog... best wishes..

I have never sold a laser to anyone and I won't, it's not worth the risk, I do however talk about what I see for sale and my opinions about such items which is legal ( Freedom of speech ) as for what's legal to buy or sell, that is something the buyer and seller need to understand as it's their responsibility to know the law, however I will add that I don't advocate the breaking of any laws.

Durge

Who said over 5mw specifically?
WHO?
Any laser <(less than ) 5 mW (not mw) is legal -- (to sell)
that is what the FDA sez..
what CAN happen also-- I sell you a laser I made..- you injure yrself or someone --who gets a lawyer.. and they go after the seller and the maker (if in USA)

but you are right- you only wrote : 'Not too concerned about WL or output power, ' 'true dat'
my bad.. but everyone else is talking way more than 5 mW.. tru dat?
5mW red will not be bright nor visible by day and seeing the beam at night may require heavy fog... best wishes..

If you don't want to sell a fully built laser for risk of incrimination, thats your right. But there are other respected sellers here happy to sell full builds and do so discretely. My post pertains to them, not you. I'm here to collect and support the makers, like I replied to your presumptuous PM. You became real quiet over PM when I sent you those pictures of my safery goggles. How concerned are you really about others safety? You talk a lot about respect but piss all over my post and the posts of others. I'm also not the only one in this thread to type "mw' instead of "mW", care to call them out too? MW would be an actual error of significance. When it comes down to it, what's the point in nit-picking my words if you yourself choose to slur your typing. Grow up and stop being a childish hypocrite. No one finds it cute or funny.

Last edited: