Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB: Harvested Drive Sleds

I am looking for bulk amounts of harvested drive sleds, preferably phr sleds. I am in need of about 200-500 of the neodymium magnets in the sleds for a project, and I can't find he rectangular ones that are in most drive sleds anywhere for reasonable prices.
I don't really want to spend more than about $25 on this, so if anyone has a massive amount of old drive sleds that need a home please let me know.
Thanks.

rhd

I think you'd need 50 to 500 sleds, depending on magnet count.

That's 5 to 50 cents a sled depending on QTY at your price range. I think that's a bit unrealistic.

If these would work, you could get:
200 for $29
300 for $38

All the sleds I've seen have 2 magnets per sled.
Are you saying you can sell 200 or 300 harvested sleds for those prices?

It also isn't really an unreasonable price considering most people just throw their sleds out after they harvest the diode. I don't even care if any the optics parts are there still, I just need the 2 magnets from each one.

Last edited:

rhd

All the sleds I've seen have 2 magnets per sled.
Are you saying you can sell 200 or 300 harvested sleds for those prices?

No, I'm saying you probably CAN'T. Say 250 harvested sleds for $25? 10 cents each?

I'm not sure you could even SHIP the 250 sleds for $25. And even if you just need the magnets, I don't think you could get someone to extract 250 sleds worth of magnets for $25.

I think you should just buy the magnets in bulk.

I, for one, keep the magnets after I extract them, and I assume many do too.
Small neodymium magnets are fun to play with.

Under the main collimating lens assembly, there should be two coils of wire, which actuate the movement of the lens to focus the beam to burn.
Near them should be the magnets.

Ahh, yeah, forgot about those, I was thinking underneath with the diodes and optics.
Duh!
I also take magnets from hard drives, they are hella strong.

Mrcrouse, see, point proven.
There just isn't enough supply for them.
I think you are better off buying.

Mrcrouse, see, point proven.
There just isn't enough supply for them.
I think you are better off buying.

rkcstr

I'm selling a box of 30 some harvested sleds, mostly 6x. I could probably find enough PHR sleds added in to make it 40. Looking for $25 shipped in the US. Shipping alone will probably be at least $10, so its not like I'm making much on these.

Last edited:
My MT sleds go to F.Pyro-- he makes fireworks from them- The rare earth magnets I keep- you could save a lot by just asking for the mags to be sent instead of the entire sled. my 2 cents--GL on your project-- mind sharing what it is??

hak