Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wiring of dual Ben Boost driver

Blord

Yes nice job! Great pics. Wireing these things is alot like plubling a water cooled computer many different routes to the same end...

I had watercooling in my computer. It was fun overclocking the CPU and keeping it cool at the same time.

119-1950_IMG.jpg

I had watercooling in my computer. It was fun overclocking the CPU and keeping it cool at the same time.

119-1950_IMG.jpg

LMAO... let me find some REAL oldschool pics... Circa 1999-2000. Superclocked TEC cooled @ -17*C... AMD Athlon 2800 @ 3600. Had one of the top 10 fastest consumer AMDs in the world at that point... and I was 17, and making websites for OC websites :p

LMAO Found em, they were on a backup folder, inside a backup folder, in another backup... took me a while. Pictures were last modified ‎September-‎27-‎01, ‏‎11:39:58 PM

Please keep in mind that at that time, watercooling was an extremist thing with only a few handfuls of ppl around the world doing custom case mods and lighting... as the whole phenomenon was just starting. For that reason, everything's pretty ghetto rigged and hand-crafted... It still ran like a champ tho ! All cutouts and windows done with the trusty old dremel.

Rest of the pics are HERE

EDIT: Yes, my waterblock was forming condensation thanks to the 12V 100Watt TEC that was hooked up to it. CPU was insulated vs condensation with dielectric grease, and the back of the motherboard was smothered in nonconductive silicone. Fun times

EDIT NUMERO TWO : Another funny thing I remember, that waterblock, worth 60$ back then, had a 97.5% silver base... measuring two inch square by about 2mm thick. It's the only part of that whole watercooling rig I still have (Except for the gutted Antec Case)... and that chunk of silver, today, is about 95$... (2.5 ounces or something to that effect)
/highjack complete

Last edited:
LOL, that coin is worth 50cents :D
It is made from Acmonital, a Stainless Steel alloy consisting mostly of Iron, with 0.14% Carbon, 17.5-19% Chrome, 0.50% Magnesium, 1.15% Silicium, 0.03% Sulfur, and 0.03% Phosphorus by weight. Acmonital was used in Italy for their Lira and is the acronym for "acciaio monetario italiano" (Italian monetary steel) ( WIKI)
It suits my purpose, electrically and thermally conductive.

There are two there, so that is about right then. I'll have to go through my lire and francs and such, but they have sentimental memories. Italy is one of, in fact probably the, favorite places in Europe that I have travelled. Spain was very nice and I loved Paris, Belgium (Brussels anyway) was fun, but Italy was magical - and the FOOD! Nowhere is better gastronomically!

Of course after a few bottles of Limoncello anything tastes great!:D

119-1950_IMG.jpg

You've solved our laser cooling problems!

Last edited:
:eg:NIce builds you two,now where is the flux capacitor,DAM,DAM:beer:

You should get some Aussie coins Silver ones are 75% Copper, 25% Nickel; Gold ones are 92% Copper, 6% Aluminium, 2% Nickel.

I have made some clean shots how I did the wiring of two BenBoost drivers.
They are also heatsinked to the round metal coin. It was a build for the Hotlight host.
Attach the black wires first without the drivers. I heated the coin with a butane blow torch until the solder melds. Then attach the 2 black wires.
After cool-down the drivers were glued to the metal plate. I use a thermal silicone paste. It is the same white stuff used for sinking high-power LED to the metal star. I hope the pictures are clear enough to use as a guideline.

Benboost1.jpg

Nice clean work...:gj:

Jerry

Last edited:
Yes That was what I was admireing when that sentance came out... I'm trying to do all my new solder leads with as little stripping as possible.. (Hrm did that come out rite) I'm trying to make it so that the only time you need heatshrink is when you join wires... Like this! Again Nice wire job!

Blord

Thanks, you noticed the clean soldering of the wires. Normally the white wire was also put in the hole but that hole is already filled with silicone.

It was the 100 Lire coin from Italy. It is obsolete now, Italy went to Euro a while ago.

I have a box full of old coins. :D
http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/mohrenberg-hotlight-1-3a-445nm-60347.html

I found most of my coins from various travels. I think I might be able to buy a build from RHD with spare change I have so much Canadian coins. Lots of lire and francs and pesetas too!

Coins by tsteele93, on Flickr

Italian lire

Enough to buy lunch! by tsteele93, on Flickr

Hail Canada! These are actually some of my highest return investments, considering what they were exchanging for when I probably got them circa 2003.

Canadian money by tsteele93, on Flickr

Belgium, Spain and others

Untitled by tsteele93, on Flickr

Nice collection there.... I myself have one of those 100 lira... And a bunch of worthless japanese coins...ayone have any info on these or a good website to find material makeup of different coins? Btw those canadian twonies you have can easily be popped into seperate pieces...tho its considered illegal to deface any coin... Psh

Blord

Why wiki ? The US mint has a fine coin, very suitable as a heatsink
No, I am not going to use that for my builds :D

onedollar.jpg

It is a bit pricey! I think that I have several 1800's silver dollars. I won't be using them as heat sinks though.

Any pre-1982 (except 1943) penny is a pretty good choice.

Last edited: