Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wicked Lasers White Laser Pointer Design Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I reading this right....:thinking:

1) I design a White Laser that fits into a Pointer...
(I will need to build a prototype to test the feasibility and functioning of my design)

2) I will give all my work and future possible gains to WL outright

3) I will receive 1 White Laser Pointer in return...Nothing more...

Let's see... I have a functioning White Laser Pointer Prototype in my
hands and will receive another WL White Laser Pointer...
I don't need 2... I can now make my own...:wtf:
Where is the gain for all my efforts...:thinking::thinking:

Nahhh.... Never mind....

Jerry

I totally agree, it seems like the designer should get more than one white pointer, and I am surprised that this unit is not required to be a 7 or more color pointer? I mean, who would pay WL prices for white only? But Steve, you should be able to offer a better reward to a designer than one unit! Here's am idea, how about $25,000 and the white unit? or here's another idea, how about all the 2010 series highest output WL lasers and the white laser? -Glenn

I'm thinking all of that plus 15% of all units sold worldwide should be fair. Clearly Wicked Lasers has come a long way with their business, just not far enough to recognize that we're not a bunch of complete idiots. This offer is insulting to one's intelligence.

Last edited:
Am I reading this right....:thinking:

1) I design a White Laser that fits into a Pointer...
(I will need to build a prototype to test the feasibility and functioning of my design)

2) I will give all my work and future possible gains to WL outright

3) I will receive 1 White Laser Pointer in return...Nothing more...

Let's see... I have a functioning White Laser Pointer Prototype in my
hands and will receive another WL White Laser Pointer...
I don't need 2... I can now make my own...:wtf:
Where is the gain for all my efforts...:thinking::thinking:

Nahhh.... Never mind....

Jerry

that is by far one of the most intelligent things i have read here at LPF:bowdown:

Please read the OP, information and rules were changed and updated:

I totally agree, I think we should give more than just a sample of the product.

You can tell them that we never intended to just give a single laser pointer (that was your suggestion).
We work with a lot of inventors and engineers and we always make sure they are well compensated.

You can add now a minimum of $1000 dollar design prize into the contest.
Plus, add that we will negotiate directly with the designer on additional royalties and the design prize amount.
We are very open to any one directly helping us innovate and our goal is to work with the designer on more related projects in the future.
Meaning there will be very high chance of them working with us as a design consultant.

Submissions should be privatized, meaning they should only be seen by you and me.

We can figure our own way of rating which one is best, it's important to keep the designs submitted a secret, or at least the important part of the design.
For example, if an exterior rendering is shown for the public post, then that's fine, they should submit all the internal designs privately.

Please read the OP, information and rules were changed and updated:

Any person who designs something that works well (anything at all) and just gives their design away (or submits it in a contest that doesn't include SUBSTANTIAL compensation) is being taken advantage of. It is good that they are willing to talk about royalties and future work as a designer, though.

Apologies niko, please don't take my comments as being directed at you., I know it's not your idea. I really mean no offense to you in any way by any of this. I just take offense when people try to take advantage of others and I believe that Wicked should be expected to pay serious R&D costs for any design work done by LPF members because that's how the real world works. No one should be expected to work for peanuts. The fact that they came here speaks for our validity as a source of ingenuity in portable laser design.

Any person who designs something that works well (anything at all) and just gives their design away (or submits it in a contest that doesn't include SUBSTANTIAL compensation) is being taken advantage of. It is good that they are willing to talk about royalties and future work as a designer, though.

Apologies niko, please don't take my comments as being directed at you., I know it's not your idea. I really mean no offense to you in any way by any of this. I just take offense when people try to take advantage of others and I believe that Wicked should be expected to pay serious R&D costs for any design work done by LPF members because that's how the real world works. No one should be expected to work for peanuts. The fact that they came here speaks for our validity as a source of ingenuity in portable laser design.

Offense not taken. I really do not know how much R&D would cost for a design like this, but the fact that royalties will be discussed should be a good start, I think.

The only way for this it work is WL needs to create some legal contracts before anything is submitted. Making promises second hand through a member here is very unprofessional. There is a boatload of legal issues that must be addressed before anything is submitted on both parties.

This is a scam. If WL wanted help, Steve should have appealed to us directly, with sold offers of legal compensation. Instead he makes up this stupid contest, uses one of our good members to introduce it to us, and just offers some crummy laser as payment. Excuse me, now there is a promise of royalties too. Without legal documents, any offers are BS, because he can say whatever he wants. Talk is cheap, and its even cheaper using a second hand voice to do it. No offence Niko. This whole thing a sham, and very insulting.

Last edited:
The only way for this it work is WL needs to create some legal contracts before anything is submitted. Making promises second hand through a member here is very unprofessional. There is a boatload of legal issues that must be addressed before anything is submitted on both parties.

This is a scam. If WL wanted help, Steve should have appealed to us directly, with sold offers of legal compensation. Instead he makes up this stupid contest, uses one of our good members to introduce it to us, and just offers some crummy laser as payment. Excuse me, now there is a promise of royalties too. Without legal documents, any offers are BS, because he can say whatever he wants. Talk is cheap, and its even cheaper using a second hand voice to do it. No offence Niko. This whole thing a sham, and very insulting.

I completely agree with this post above.

The one thing that stands in my mind is that the OP should have known and reacted similarly as everyone else did. Unfortunately and by the way the letter from Steve was worded to the OP, it seems as if the OP is acting as an agent of WL.

I may be wrong but that is just what it looks like.

No offense to anyone involved or not.

Before submitting any design have a contract written up that has the terms you want if they use the design. Also a confidentiality contract to prevent WL from telling your ideas to others. A patent is mandatory in this situation, but you can copyright the plans if you cant afford the patent. DO NOT blindly post plans here, and protect your work at all costs. Look at the prices WL gets for their lasers. Now picture a new white laser. WL will make a huge amount of money on this. If you help to make this happen, make sure you get a large amount money for your efforts, and a royalty clause so every time they sell one, you get paid.

^Listen to this.. very true and very wise.

If you do the work, then YOU deserve the credit and a share of the profit for each and every single unit sold. Based on the fact that this "offer" from WL was extended in the first place, I'd have to say they woudn't think twice about taking your design and running. Oh and they're in China, so you've got no recourse if they do.

I'm having trouble with this....
Submissions should be privatized, meaning they should only be seen by you and me.

We can figure our own way of rating which one is best, it's important to keep the designs submitted a secret, or at least the important part of the design.
For example, if an exterior rendering is shown for the public post, then that's fine, they should submit all of the internal designs privately.

Subsequently participants shall do the following in order to submit an entry:

Send the design to b2b@wickedlasers.com (subject: White Laser Contest). You are not required to post the design here for others to see.

As T_J stated... without any type of signed legal document outlining
actual compensation... royalties... time frames... and Non-Disclosure
clauses... I would suggest to all designers to keep your ideas under
wraps....

In the business world "I trust the nice man" is not the way to go...
Sorry Steve (WL) but you know I'm right...:cool:

Jerry

Anyone that takes this upon themselves to do is a fool for at least those reasons mentioned previously.
If Steve is looking for a new laser product then he needs to do the work. Doing R&D though costs lots of money and time something he'd rather pass on to someone else for a pitance in return.
Some of us have long memories of Steve business practices and it seems that Steve has not changed his strips.

Just the fact that he is using one of our members for a puppet to spread this garbage is low life behavior. He does have an account here. Doing it this way relieves him of any responsibility because Niko is doing all the work, and fronting the contest. Thought you were smarter than this Niko.

lets not blame niko.... he got presented something in a seemingly pretty package and presented it to us. There shouldn't be harm to the messenger. also, sorry to say niko is still young.. he hasn't had the opporunity of being screwed over yet. while it seems common sense to most of us not to do it, to a person who has never been in that situation before it seems all hunky-dory.

michael.

Status
Not open for further replies.