Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wicked Lasers White Laser Pointer Design Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
This time all LPF members get the chance to get a white laser for free.

Wicked Lasers White Laser Pointer Design Contest

Rules:
The design must be of a laser pointer, it has to be able to be installed into a pointer, not a box. It has to be viable, money should be no problem, but you can't use diamonds as heatsinks if you know what I mean :D. It also has to work in reality and be practical, easy to use. The simpler it is, the better.
Power is not specified, that's for you to decide with existing components.
It can be either RGV or RGB as long as the final mix is white. Keep in mind RGB's are more expensive and delicate.
Go crazy, don't be shy, experiment and show all of LPF your designs.
You don't need to design the host, only the internal circuitry, mirror layout, etc.

The contest ends on June 20th.

Disclaimer:
I'm not getting paid or anything for doing this, I'm just organizing the contest because it's in my best interest to see a white laser pointer smaller than the one rog8811 has made.

Regarding the obvious backlash the contest has generated, Steve has contacted me. Quoting his email:

I totally agree, I think we should give more than just a sample of the product.

You can tell them that we never intended to just give a single laser pointer (that was your suggestion).
We work with a lot of inventors and engineers and we always make sure they are well compensated.

You can add now a minimum of $1000 dollar design prize into the contest.
Plus, add that we will negotiate directly with the designer on additional royalties and the design prize amount.

We are very open to any one directly helping us innovate and our goal is to work with the designer on more related projects in the future.
Meaning there will be very high chance of them working with us as a design consultant.

Submissions should be privatized, meaning they should only be seen by you and me.

We can figure our own way of rating which one is best, it's important to keep the designs submitted a secret, or at least the important part of the design.
For example, if an exterior rendering is shown for the public post, then that's fine, they should submit all of the internal designs privately.

Subsequently participants shall do the following in order to submit an entry:

Send the design to b2b@wickedlasers.com (subject: White Laser Contest). You are not required to post the design here for others to see.

Last edited:

Whoo! I've got more than a few crazy ideas in my head, might as well try and get something cool with one of them. Thanks Niko for organizing this!

Anyone who designs this had better get a contract for royalties afterwards. This smells of someone trying to get free expertise and get someone to design something for next to nothing. Wicked's come a long way, but they really should do their own design work. This is a fool's errand. Just calling it for what it is from my perspective, no offense intended to niko.. There are some good designers here and some real innovators who deserve a LOT more than a white laser pointer for their knowledge and expertise.

Last edited:
23pkw6.jpg

Anyone who designs this had better get a contract for royalties afterwards. This smells of someone trying to get free expertise and get someone to design something for next to nothing. Wicked's come a long way, but they really should do their own design work. This is a fool's errand. Just calling it for what it is from my perspective, no offense intended to niko.. There are some good designers here and some real innovators who deserve a LOT more than a white laser pointer for their knowledge and expertise.

I agree completely. We do all the R&D work and all we get is a laser, while they make 100's of thousands of dollars selling one of the first mass produced white laser? Yeah right!!! They are insulting the intelligence of LPF. If someone could come up with a decent design, patent it, and put it up for bids to all the laser companies, and add a royalties clause. Dont be dumb, and get ripped off.

Last edited:

Asherz

sightfx has already won with his white fusion kit :D

While sight's kit is good, I personally don't like the aesthetics off it. I think the main part of the design here will be the aesthetics, obviously the insides are important to dictate the outer shape but you get what I'm trying to get at :)

HIMNL9

Uhm ..... i have a plan for a white pointer, that i made times ago, but i never had the possibility to build it, cause i don't have access to machines, and ask other shops for it can be too much high cost, for a hobbyst ..... do you think that WL can accept it ? (i normally don't take place in these contests, but this is someway intriguing :p)

Do i have to post the plans here, or PM them to you ?

And, also, i originally planned it in 2 different ways, for using standard 12mm modules, or for "custom" mounts ..... can be helpful to show all of them, or just the 12mm version ? (the 12mm version requires a "head" part of at least 35mm of diameter, including some fins of at least 1,5mm deep, where instead, if is possible to mount the diodes in a "custom made" head, including a green module with less than 12mm of diameter, the head can be considerably more "slim" in diameter)

EDIT: And, anyway, as T-J said, what about "royalties", or whatever you call them ? ..... also if this is a free/friendly contest, i'm wondering about this, now that he pointed on it ..... i mean, i don't care if anyone build my "inventions" for free or hobby or personal use, but in all the world, doing it for commercial use, normally imply some rewards for the planner/designer ..... not that i'm naturally greedy, just some few money more in the pocket are not totally dispreciable :p :D

Last edited:
I totally agree, it seems like the designer should get more than one white pointer, and I am surprised that this unit is not required to be a 7 or more color pointer? I mean, who would pay WL prices for white only? But Steve, you should be able to offer a better reward to a designer than one unit! Here's am idea, how about $25,000 and the white unit? or here's another idea, how about all the 2010 series highest output WL lasers and the white laser? -Glenn

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.