Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wicked Lasers Photonic Disruptor Pro (Lots of pics!)

I received this PD Pro, about 4 month ago, instead of a clasical Photonic Disruptor that I had ordered from a reseller of WL! It is a good product (according to my preliminary measurements the power of the beam stabilizes at around 98 mw) but I don't understand why to call it "Photonic Disruptor" if the main characteristic of the old PD was the focusable beam which can be used as a "dazzler"...

Does yours have the logo printed on the tailcap?

Does yours have the logo printed on the tailcap?

Remember the units being sold (and your review unit) are greatly discounted because they couldn't meet FDA standards and thus can't be sold on their website. Most probably they didn't bother engraving their isotype on the tailcap. It's not a big deal, and the ON-OFF should be the universal lock-unlock threading.

I'm having trouble measuring divergence with just a ruler. I've been needing a digital caliper for some time now, and I think I'll pick one up today. I hope to be able to post divergence info later tonight, and maybe some outside beamshots.

Yes it has

That looks nice.

BTW, I got my digital caliper today, and I measured 1.53mm at aperture. Divergence is about 1.24mrad (using pseudonomen137's mRad Calculator).

Last edited:

Arayan

Thanks for the information, WL sent it to me without characteristics :) Does anyone know why they decided to remove the adjustable focus... the main characteristic of the old PD

Thanks for the information, WL sent it to me without characteristics :) Does anyone know why they decided to remove the adjustable focus... the main characteristic of the old PD

I'm sure it was because they're in waterproof hosts, and adding a focusing ring would make it more complicated and would hinder the final divergence value.

I'm sure it was because they're in waterproof hosts, and adding a focusing ring would make it more complicated and would hinder the final divergence value.

Yes, it would seem they tried to simplify it. If the aperture cap is removable,
it shouldn't be too hard to make it focusable. I don't see a benefit, though.

Arayan

I also thought that the problem was due to this. But at this point we have a "simple" 100 mw and waterproof laser which has nothing to do with the PD :)

I also thought that the problem was due to this. But at this point we have a "simple" 100 mW and waterproof laser which has nothing to do with the PD :)

What exactly (besides a focusing ring) would a non-simple laser have to have, then? MP3 Player? :p

Arayan

What exactly (besides a focusing ring) would a non-simple laser have to have, then? MP3 Player? :p
Probably I have not explained well :p
The PD was described by WL as a particular product:

"...is an extremely effective, non-lethal, waterproof high powered green laser built specifically for rugged, harsh environments. This laser is classified as TALI™ (Threat Assessment Laser Illuminator).
This product has been featured on Discovery Channel's "Future Weapons." This tactical laser is equipped with versatile focus-adjustable collimating lenses to compensate for range and power intensity. Laze a non-lethal focused or unfocused beam towards potential threats at a distance. Used properly, the Photonic Disruptor will temporarily overwhelm a threat's visual senses without causing permanent eye damage..."

Now I do not have a particular interest in blinding people temporarily :san:, but it was the distinctive feature of the product... my question is: can this description be applied to the new PD?

Probably I have not explained well :p
The PD was described by WL as a particular product:

"...is an extremely effective, non-lethal, waterproof high powered green laser built specifically for rugged, harsh environments. This laser is classified as TALI™ (Threat Assessment Laser Illuminator).
This product has been featured on Discovery Channel's "Future Weapons." This tactical laser is equipped with versatile focus-adjustable collimating lenses to compensate for range and power intensity. Laze a non-lethal focused or unfocused beam towards potential threats at a distance. Used properly, the Photonic Disruptor will temporarily overwhelm a threat's visual senses without causing permanent eye damage..."

Now I do not have a particular interest in blinding people temporarily :san:, but it was the distinctive feature of the product... my question is: can this description be applied to the new PD?

Nope, sadly it can not. They're just not the same.

Yes, it would seem they tried to simplify it. If the aperture cap is removable,
it shouldn't be too hard to make it focusable. I don't see a benefit, though.

Cap doesn't come off. I actually like the fact that it isn't focusable.

i really couldnt care less what they call it as long as i get mine in the next few days haha