Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wicked lasers krypton review

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the review can be encompassing from start to finish, and done in a way where WL absolutely cannot cherry pick the unit, I don't see a problem with it.

The key here is that it must be an anonymous order... not hard to arrange fortunately. All it would take is someone ordering under their name and address, and reshipping to you once they receive it.

Personally I think it would be great to see an actual tear down, detailed review of one of these. So far no one has been willing because of the high price tag, but in this case if WL is providing the funds...

There are members here that think that WL should fall into a hole in the earth
They think that anyone giving money to "the enemy" is an enemy of theirs

Yes to the former, no to the latter. What people do with their hard earned money is none of my business imo.

"Are you going to open it up?"
"Are you going to test it to the spec and description that WL advertises?"
"Are you going to test it to failure?"

I would really love to see answers to these questions as well.

I guess that leaves you out as a Neutral Reviewer...:whistle:
:crackup::crackup:

I would imagine that it may be difficult to find a neutral LPF
reviewer that has not already made up his mind about WL
and their lies one way or the other...

Jerry

The question is not really one of neutrality, but honesty, and just sticking to the facts. For the purposes of a controversial review it might actually make sense to have someone who is very critical of WL review the unit.

Last edited:

If the review can be encompassing from start to finish, and done in a way where WL absolutely cannot cherry pick the unit, I don't see a problem with it.

The key here is that it must be an anonymous order... not hard to arrange fortunately. All it would take is someone ordering under their name and address, and reshipping to you once they receive it.

Well, to be super critical here:

1) Rob has already stated in the OP that he is going to order this laser in two to three weeks time from when the deposit takes place.

2) We know WL watches these forums like a hawk.

3) So WL effectively has a one week window in which to make sure they ship out a cherry unit to whomever orders one, and lets be honest here, how many $1000 units do you actually think they ship a week? 1 maybe? Who knows... My guess is not many.

The "blind" review has already been compromised IMO, unless the order goes in say, months down the road.

The good news review-wise is that all they have to do is hit 750mW thanks to their new pricing system on their website and maintain decent customer service and they'll pass the test.

Last edited:
If the order is placed at a random time after the money is received, it would be near impossible for them to determine that the buyer is coming from here. As an additional measure, the person actually ordering should be from a different geographic area.

The 750mW should be manageable for them. Fact is if they even originally posted the lasers as 1W but were only hitting 900mW+, few people would have a problem with that.

Well, to be super critical here:

1) Rob has already stated in the OP that he is going to order this laser in two to three weeks time from when the deposit takes place.

2) We know WL watches these forums like a hawk.

3) So WL effectively has a one week window in which to make sure they ship out a cherry unit to whomever orders one, and lets be honest here, how many $1000 units do you actually think they ship a week? 1 maybe? Who knows... My guess is not many.

The "blind" review has already been compromised IMO, unless the order goes in say, months down the road.

The good news review-wise is that all they have to do is hit 750mW thanks to their new pricing system on their website and maintain decent customer service and they'll pass the test.

You all know my opinion.

I'd pass Rob. Things have been quiet. If you do a review, then you will have massive attacks, and massive support, all at the same time. Do you really want that kind of drama show? All in your name?

I know money is tight. No matter what Chris/Steve offers you wont be worth the backlash the review is going to cause. You know it just as much as I do.

And please stop saying you need the money. We ALL need the money. We've almost lost our condo 3 times in the past year. But you dont see me posting about it. Take care of your own business in the future, and dont open the can of worms that you can close with a Krapton review.

EDIT: The vets section would have been a better place for this thread. You really want advice from people that dont know you? This thread could easily blow up into a drama show as well.

Last edited:
A lot less of an entertaining post than I would have thought, TJ ^_^ Anyway, that said, I would be weary about it, considering you are doing the review. I would send it off to someone who is critical of WL and have them do the review, then send it back to you to sell like others have said. Then you can have the benefit and someone else can make an unbiased review.

That sounds like a good plan. Still an issue with it being cherry picked.

Last edited:
Yeah, I got you, they probably aren't shipping out many $1,000 units each week. What I was thinking is maybe "say" that you will purchase it within 2-3 weeks from when the deposit is made, but actually make the purchase a month or two later?

rhd

I would send it off to someone who is critical of WL and have them do the review, then send it back to you to sell like others have said. Then you can have the benefit and someone else can make an unbiased review.

You have an odd conception of what "unbiased" means ;)

Send it off to someone honest, with integrity, and with the knowledge to properly test the heck out of it and put it through it's paces. A review conducted by someone who is already predisposed to being critical of WL is no less biased than a review conducted by some love-struck fanboy. It's just biased in the opposite direction.

A biased review is a biased review. It's worthless. If we (as a forum/community) want to gain any useful knowledge out of this whole dramatic interlude, we need data/testing/evaluation that can be trusted as reflecting the characteristics of the laser. NOT data/tested/evaluation that reflects some kid's love, or some hobbiest's hatred, for the company that made it. Otherwise it's useless to everyone, and you'd be better off doing no review at all.

EDIT: TJ is right though, you would still need to brainstorm a way around the cherry-picking concern.

Last edited:
Yeah. I sort of changed my mind half-way through that post XD But unbiased is probably better.

We can always vote for a person to test it.

Its going to be a daunting task. Rob will have to send the tester the money, then the tester is going to have someone he trusted to send the money to WL. Then that person will have to give the laser to the tester, ect, ect.

It can be done, its just not easy.

The Review needs to be blind tested and this whole thread
should be in the Vets Section... even though some members
could enlighten Steve or Dan as to what's going on...

The Tester and the Buyer should be 2 different persons in
two different geological areas as was suggested....

I'm sure there is a way of Polling for a Neutral Honest tester
by PM.. It's a bit more time consuming but I can be done with
the results posted after the Laser is bought or the Review is
done.

Jerry

rhd

The "buyer" could be almost anybody. I mean, I'm sure we could get almost any vet in the forum to just have a friend order the laser. As long as the name cannot be connected to lasers, that should be fine.

I think there are a lot of people that would be neutral, trustworthy, credible, and knowledgeable enough to do a review. Daguin, Lazeerer, Aryntha, Jayrob, DTR, and I'm sure there are a few others that just haven't popped into mind in 5 seconds of brainstorming, but who would be more than well suited to do this (and who wouldn't compromise their evaluation in any direction).

I still don't think we have a workable means for getting around the cherry-picking issue though. It's probably true that relatively few of the $1k models are sold.

What might actually make sense, would be to decide on a larger purchase window. Say 3 months. Take those 90 days, and have a computer randomly pick the day. And then just lock the thread, and sit on the review until the 90 day mark (regardless of when in that 90 days the laser was actually purchased).

I'm sure nobody would cherry pick every laser sold for 90 days.

Last edited:
I don't think a tester needs to be selected.

That is unless Rob is biased.

I mean who initially initiated this idea for a review?

Was it an offer from WL, or a request for a review unit?

As has been suggested, this thread really does belong in the vet's section. While that area of the forum doesn't guarantee privacy, it will allow a more open and honest discussion. Certainly many questions need to be answered.

Um...Jayrob already did a "review". Lets not go there again.

TBH there are only 4 or 5 members here I would trust to do an honest review. You have to remember that Chris/Steve has handed a lot of free stuff to the veterans here in the past, and present. And a lot more behind closed doors. People naturally want to stay on Chris/Steves good side.

Last edited:

rhd

Um...Jayrob already did a "review". Lets not go there again.

TBH there are only 4 or 5 members here I would trust to do an honest review. You have to remember that Chris/Steve has handed a lot of free stuff to the veterans here in the past, and present.

I know you're not a fan of WL, and are among the most outspoken about that. So if you have a list of 4 or 5 members, maybe there's one of those 4 or 5 that everyone would agree on?

Regarding moving this discussion to the vet forum, I think that's the wrong approach. It has been pointed out that the vet section doesn't ACTUALLY provide an assurance of confidentiality.

The review process should be rock solid because of how it's STRUCTURED, not because of the secrecy behind the practice of how it is setup. IE, "security through obscurity (the vet section) is no security at all". I think that phrase fits here. We need a trustworthy review process that wroks because it is structured well, not because it has been discussed and solidified somewhere that we think is sheltered from prying eyes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.