Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wicked Lasers Errors/scams for Sonar Burner

Okay, so I was browsing around Wicked Lasers to see if they really deserved all the crap they got.  Here's what I found on the page for the Sonar Blu-ray Burner ($2,000):

(Note: I have boxed negative traits in red and comment misconceptions in green.  Match the two orange boxes. I have left a comment for each box, and they are numbered as they appear.)

1. Only 2 customers, huh? Ever? That's highly unlikely. I think that they are only allowing the good reviewers to count as customers, and many more have commented that it does not meet standards.

2. "First and only Sony Blu-ray laser pointer"? Umm...no. Haven't DIY'ers done it (as with many other things) well before it can be produced commercially?

3. Three times the power...of what? A laser three times less powerful?

4. "Unimaginably bright, 405nm" Along with the dumb wise men, the jumbo shrimp, and the loving wolverine.

5. See next picture.

6. $30,000...? You could just build one for $100 (5% the price of Wickedlasers, with better heatsinking and more power), or buy one with those advantages on this forum for $200 (10% the price of Wickedlasers).

7. [sarcasm]Yup, this guy sure knows his stuff about violet laser light![/sarcasm] It's monochromatic...no UV. Ever.

8. "No solid state alternative"...except for building a better one for 20 times less or buying a better one for 10 times less.

Probably a review by a Wicked Lasers staff to make the product look good. Nobody working in a laser industry could possibly be that stupid...hopefully...

Attachments

• Wickedlasers_Sucks_1.jpg
    Wickedlasers_Sucks_1.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 315

Picture 2:

1. 60mW? That's weak! We can build them way cheaper with much more power than that!(Well, I guess for them to advertise a life of >5,000 hours, which is more than the diodes are guaranteed for BEFORE being tampered with, this seems somewhat (but not really) acceptable.)

2. 800mA?! What the hell?! The highest successful current I know of is Dave's 300mA blu-ray, still a LONG way below this. What do you think they actually run it at, 75mA?

3. Notice the first orange box. One page says it runs on 3xCR123, and the other page says it only needs 2.

All summed up...would you really want to buy from this company?

-Mark

Attachments

• Wickedlasers_Sucks_2.jpg
    Wickedlasers_Sucks_2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 286
Are you saying that my Sonar laser was a scam!!??
000_0060.jpg

:D

You made that. ;D LOL

The only good thing about the sonar is that it looks very nice. Good work Jimmymcjimthejim! :D

caleb

thats mad how you built your own sonar!
how much did it actualy cost you? did you use aircraft grade aluminium ::)
And did WL test the laser barrel for life expectancy, fatigue, strength, weight and aerodynamic performance...

caleb said:
And did WL test the laser barrel for life expectancy, fatigue, strength, weight and [highlight]aerodynamic performance[/highlight]...

You'll be needing that as you throw the faulty unit into the trash...
-Mark

Things

Wicked is good for claiming all kinda of crap that isnt true. Just look at lasercommunity, for example, it still says its the largest laser pointer forum. LPF clearly has taken over....

rocketparrotlet said:
6. $30,000...?  You could just build one for $100 (5% the price of Wickedlasers, with better heatsinking and more power), or buy one with those advantages on this forum for $200 (10% the price of Wickedlasers).

Yes, it does sound like more of WL's wild crazy exaggerations, but you should know this, Edmund Scientific has an 80 mW 405 nm laser module listed for $6,195.00 and there are other companies selling lasers to the high tech medical and science industries for more!

Worth noting is that it's pulsed, so the actual output is less than 60mW.

Mine only consumes 1.1W (as opposed to their 6W) and outputs double what theirs does. I must have done something wrong. :-/

Xplorer877 said:
You made that. ;D LOL

The only good thing about the sonar is that it looks very nice. Good work Jimmymcjimthejim! :D
Thanks  ;). The heatsinking is quite good though.

caleb said:
And did WL test the laser barrel for life expectancy, fatigue, strength, weight and aerodynamic performance...
It cost around $130.. Case and heatsink was about $80, driver was $24, diode was $15 (well, theoretically, but I broke some), battery (14670) was $14. And soon to be IgorT lens..
Actually, there is a small dent upon arrival on the output end of the laser.
And yes, the heatsink (amazingly made by Dark_Horse) is made of aircraft grade aluminum.

Oh. The reason why it consumes so much power is because it's DPSS ;D

I have noticed that WL stopped selling thier empty Sonar-cases, look like they didn't expect to have anyone actually complete a laser in one ;)
We made like 10 and they stop offering them, hmmm??

Attachments

• IMG_2590_Medium_001.JPG
    IMG_2590_Medium_001.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 515

daguin

Dark_Horse said:
I have noticed that WL stopped selling thier empty Sonar-cases, look like they didn't expect to have anyone actually complete a laser in one ;)
We made like 10 and they stop offering them, hmmm??

I think that they were just embarrassed that ours were so much better than theirs for a small fraction of the price ;)

Peace,
dave

rocketparrotlet said:
[quote author=Jimmymcjimthejim link=1226635188/0#10 date=1226717169]Oh. The reason why it consumes so much power is because it's DPSS ;D

Why...?

-Mark[/quote]

One of the people from wicked customer service said the sonar was DPSS. ;D Someone also posted a picture that said something like this--> customer: "are all of your lasers DPSS?" wicked:"were so DPSS we sh!t 1046nm" ;D

--hydro15

hydrogenman15 said:
[quote author=rocketparrotlet link=1226635188/0#13 date=1227339551][quote author=Jimmymcjimthejim link=1226635188/0#10 date=1226717169]Oh. The reason why it consumes so much power is because it's DPSS ;D

Why...?

-Mark[/quote]

One of the people from wicked customer service said the sonar was DPSS. ;D Someone also posted a picture that said something like this--> customer: "are all of your lasers DPSS?" wicked:"were so DPSS we sh!t 1046nm" ;D

--hydro15[/quote]
:D

Attachments

• wldemotivator_001.jpg
    wldemotivator_001.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 292