Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why is that a sticky?

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
hi all,

thx for feedback. there is not any banner space left and many people want to advertise, so i started offering stickies when people contact me. at most i there would be only 1 ad sticky per board (if any at all, barely anyone wants this type of ad)

regarding my situation

i am turning 26 soon, getting older, have more responsibilities in life in general. going to school and work full-time often late hours,have a new puppy. when i get home i have sometimes 70 to 100 emails. my free time varies indirectly with my age , and as LPF grows i need to concentrate more effort into keeping stuff going strong. i enjoy working on the site but i need to get good ROI for the time i put in. this same time could be spent studying something new for career growth,taking more classes, visiting friends more, traveling,etc.

i think most people if you see it from being in my shoes this would make sense. naturally i want to maximize the success of my business and get the most value out of my time.

the site is in great shape financially, but i want to get back as much as i can for the time i put in which sometimes is like a parttime job. the same time could be used allowing me to finish my masters degree 2x sooner. so naturally i want to get great value for the time i put in.

i don't think there will be any newly placed banner ads ever. at most 1 adsticky per board (if any at all, almost noone interested in this).

so please if possible i hope having 1 sticky thread here isn't such a bad thing after seeing my situation. again i dont really think this is giong to be regular thing.

thx for your understanding all and enjoy the site

peace
-ave

daguin

hi all,

thx for feedback. there is not any banner space left and many people want to advertise, so i started offering stickies when people contact me. at most i there would be only 1 ad sticky per board (if any at all, barely anyone wants this type of ad)

regarding my situation

i am turning 26 soon, getting older, have more responsibilities in life in general. going to school and work full-time often late hours,have a new puppy. when i get home i have sometimes 70 to 100 emails. my free time varies indirectly with my age , and as LPF grows i need to concentrate more effort into keeping stuff going strong. i enjoy working on the site but i need to get good ROI for the time i put in. this same time could be spent studying something new for career growth,taking more classes, visiting friends more, traveling,etc.

i think most people if you see it from being in my shoes this would make sense. naturally i want to maximize the success of my business and get the most value out of my time.

the site is in great shape financially, but i want to get back as much as i can for the time i put in which sometimes is like a parttime job. the same time could be used allowing me to finish my masters degree 2x sooner. so naturally i want to get great value for the time i put in.

i don't think there will be any newly placed banner ads ever. at most 1 adsticky per board (if any at all, almost noone interested in this).

so please if possible i hope having 1 sticky thread here isn't such a bad thing after seeing my situation. again i dont really think this is giong to be regular thing.

peace
-ave

I think that it should be identified as advertising in some way. The way it is, it looks like the forum is endorsing the product and company because of preferential treatment.

Peace,
dave

Avery most of us already know why you allow advertising.
It's always about making money and it's your server to do that with.

Only problem I have is making it sound like your on the thin line of being poor and successful, which isn't the case.
You want more money so you set it up to make more that's all.

Hey post up some pics of that puppy :D

hi all,

regarding my situation

peace
-ave

I think that it should be identified as advertising in some way. The way it is, it looks like the forum is endorsing the product and company because of preferential treatment.

Peace,
dave

I agree. It would separate it from the other stickies. Maybe add "Advertisement" in the title of the stickie, or something to that effect.

Its going to make it hard to tell newbies not to try to sell their lasers in these non sales subforums.

If there was some way to remove the word "sticky" that would help alot. Otherwise it looks like it should be for information or that LPF specifically endorses this product or company. If the product or company in the sticky are junk it will reflect more badly on the forum than if it were a regular banner. People expect to find junk in banner ads but junk within the posts of the forum especially endorsed with special sticky privilege almost makes it seem as if the forum is assuming some responsibility for these items.

We cant really tell n00bs to read all the stickies anymore.

"Welcome to the forum. Make sure to read the stickies, except for the ones that are ads." :rolleyes:

I dont get why you cant extend the bottom of the page to add more ads.

We cant really tell n00bs to read all the stickies anymore.

"Welcome to the forum. Make sure to read the stickies, except for the ones that are ads." :rolleyes:

I dont get why you cant extend the bottom of the page to add more ads.

That's more work for Avery. Shame on you for thinking that :tsk: :crackup:

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
i agree that 'advertisement' should be added to the thread title, change has been made. thx for feedback on this

@CJ yeah im not poor and have successful career, not a matter of that, just want to have good ROI for the time put in (as anyone else would i think =) ). dont think i ever make it seem like im poor lol, i always say that the site in great financial shape / etc

ps if anyone looking for job in IT / security area and need help /advice pzl reach out to me. happy to help with this=)

have fun guys & remember regardless of the ads u are free to say whatever u like about the companies as long as its within the lpf policies & terms

peace
-ave

Last edited:

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
@CJ or TJ please negative rep me if u want ROFL=)

i dont get offended on the internetz (interfended)

have fun guys
peace
-ave

I - repped you once, and you deleted it, LOL.

Please dont group me and CJ. I'd want to get paid too for any time I put into a project, and your business is your business. I think its Rob who gives the impession you need the money bad.

We are lucky we have, pretty much, total freedom of speech. Thats a rare commodity on most forums.

wait a second, you mean that Avery is making money off of HIS website? How dare he!
brb, i'm getting my torch and pitch fork!

Haha I don't have a problem with the guy making money.

He made it sound like he needed it as if he was poor. :p

Reminds me of a south park episode where everyone started pirating music and the kids were shown that some rapper wouldn't be able to buy his 3rd mansion because of it :crackup:
And Britney Spears had to get an older model of a personal Jet

I didn't notice the stickie LOL. But that's some deep C++ code in your sig Avery!
wink.gif

Edit: something to do with a large number.....unsigned int :)
Oops....maybe this code don't work.........0xbadc0de

Last edited: