Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why is it all of the laser diode light comes out like a flashlight????

Why is it all of the laser diode light comes out like a flashlight????

I'm using a CD-Rom laser diode... Pin-out should be correct...
Any ideas what i'm doing wrong??? :thinking:

Okay... I guess I will use the DVD player's laser. (NOT a DVD Burner)

What should I do as far as extracting, modifying and/or adding to my DVD player???? :thinking:

BTW, The DVD player doesn't read and DVD's anymore, that is why I'm trying to salvage what I have

:thanks:​

You can get 5mw keychain lasers at pretty much any gas station for around $3 these days, so unless you're just practicing on how to build lasers - the lollerz is because you're not making anything special from the didoes you're working with.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo???????????????????????????????

What if I want <5mw????!!!!!????

You just need to search the forum for "aixiz modules". In order to get a beam from your diode you need to press it into an aixiz module, which is a small holder that is threaded for a lens assembly (the lens assembly is included when you buy the modules). Then you can adjust the lens assembly for the best beam.. Aixiz modules also provide a small amount of heatsinking, since running laser diodes with no heatsink at all will kill them extremely quickly.

Last edited:
If the guy wants to build a 5mW laser I don't see what's wrong with that... Certainly a cheap way to get into it, rather than blowing apart a 12x diode which I'm probably going to end up doing this weekend ... c_c

Many ppl on hear run businesses selling laser related components.
I have dealt with many to "keep it in the family".
You will normally find they provide you the best deals and a quality product with support if needed.
I always put my LPF name in the comments of the order so they know they are being supported.
A little reading will get you a long way. ;)

ok new problem... the laser diode i have has 4 pins & i have no way to defferetiate between them (the back is covered by a pcb with no lables andthe pcb cannot be removed)

every laser build is special, esp. if you actually built it yourself. :wave:

True, I didn't mean to sound like it wasn't - I was just helping him understand his laser wasn't going to be a boardcutter & he could get a 5mw pointer anywhere.

If the guy wants to build a 5mW laser I don't see what's wrong with that... Certainly a cheap way to get into it, rather than blowing apart a 12x diode which I'm probably going to end up doing this weekend ... c_c

I agree & that's why I said unless it was for practicing... I hope you & I both don't blow any diodes (good luck to you 12x) because I'm not too far away from a DIY build with an awesome diode myself :D

ok new problem... the laser diode i have has 4 pins & i have no way to defferetiate between them (the back is covered by a pcb with no lables andthe pcb cannot be removed)

Have you read this or anything like this about diodes? Those links might help if you haven't.....

Last edited:
I've been collecting parts, you name it. Diodes, drivers, batteries (I already had), regulators , trimmer pots, resistors......
Been doing a lot of bench testing/measurements before I post my actual 1st build.
I have a 420ma red running......hosts! Grrrrr.....I want unique!

I can understand the low power build. Been read 4+ hrs a day here...I donated too.......well worth the info! Do it! Amount doesn't matter. If you can buy parts you can contribute something to the forum. IMHO

My interests are evolving into a frequency controlled light show on the wall. For this, I don't need high power, just a visible dot..............

I can see where he might be.