Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why do you need this laser??

DJNY

As we all know many people can´t understand lasers (I feel sorry for them). For the most people it´s "only" a nice special hobby not everyone has. We do pretty experiences and share our know-how with other members and greenhorns.

But: What can be the practical use of a handheld laser? They make you happy right! Let us list all helpful things maybe somebody else can benefit from. After a while I´ll do a summary of the infos people write here, so that newbies are able to explain their laser possession to their parents/friends, giving good arguments, without the feeling to be a freak.

1.) Star pointing
2.) Planing strenuous uphill climb and showing difficulties
3.) Marking screes
4.) Pointing into the sky if you get hopelessly lost in the mountain/forest

Razako

Mainly for the WOW factor. They're a great attention grabber. Sometimes a little too great. Nothing like taking your X100 to a fourth of july show and having a little fun after the fireworks. Just make sure you don't get caught:D

When I'm asked:
What do you do with lasers ?!

I usually answer:
1) What would you do with high power lasers?
2) What do you think? Playing around with them ofcourse :D
3) (all time forum favourite) If you gotta ask, you would not understand !

You forgot all the really fun stuff in your list such as: ingiting matches, smokuing some black stuff, and generally atract attention on the street with your high tech toys :D

No offence or anything, but,
if laser would only be used for such very important things you are starting to list, no more than 10 lasers would ever be made, now would they?

If you are asked what do you do with lasers (in a manner of statement: they are useless), you can pull out a comment of a kind: Same thing you do with your computer which you payed 10x more then my laser collection. Just helluva more fun (<- optional part) :D

Every one of us uses money for personal interests and hobbies. One would drink it up in a pub, buy a new graphics card for a computer, or buy some lasers.

No one can complain how your hobby is expensive when they themselves 'waste' money on a lotta things.

you just tell them... it's like apple jacks... "we just do" o_O or normally i tell them cuz stone cold said so XD you can ask them "why do you think i want a laser?" then right before they answer you tell them IT DOESNT MATTER... (what the rock is cooking) that's what i normally tell my friends who are critical of my hobby. i essentialy tell them it's fun to me. it also gives a sense of accomplishment when you get ur laser to work and and wires are all over the place, but it's cool. it also teaches basic electronics and soldering :p

A similar thread has been made before but I think it's fun to see what others say.

You forgot all the really fun stuff in your list such as: ingiting matches, smokuing some black stuff, and generally atract attention on the street with your high tech toys :D

I wouldn't consider those things very "useful..."
Although... it is entertaining and impressive for someone who has never seen such a thing.

Normally I tend to avoid drawing attention "on the street." I actually only share my hobby with close friends, family, and the rare few that can appreciate it. I rarely use lasers in public and I especially avoid showing teenagers.

This hobby is one that is very easily misunderstood. If you show the wrong people, you may be opening the door for someone who will eventually jump in the pool with the fools who make this hobby a dangerous one.

Also, I do not make a "public display" simply because I do not want to be lumped into the group along with the annoying kid at the movie theater with the laser pointer. Drawing the wrong attention can also land you some jail time, even if you know how to (and do) operate a laser safely. The average local policeman will likely know next to nothing about lasers, and to them, you will likely look like a "terrorist" thanks to the sensationalized laser "terrorist attacks."
Anglers arrested and DNA tested by anti-terror police for using laser pens to scare ducks | Mail Online

Maturity and self control are two items I believe are mandatory for anyone who wields such a device. Unfortunately, the people who possess these qualities are few and far between.

I am very selective of my audience.

If you are asked what do you do with lasers (in a manner of statement: they are useless), you can pull out a comment of a kind: Same thing you do with your computer which you payed 10x more then my laser collection. Just helluva more fun (<- optional part) :D

My laser collection actually cost me more than 5 times as much as my computer. And that's not including blown diodes, broken drivers, tools, batteries, safety goggles, battery chargers, broken lasers, spare parts, lasers given away as gifts, accessories, etc...

Every one of us uses money for personal interests and hobbies. One would drink it up in a pub, buy a new graphics card for a computer, or buy some lasers.

No one can complain how your hobby is expensive when they themselves 'waste' money on a lotta things.

That is a good point-- one I often stress when someone asks me this question.
Everyone spends money on different hobbies for different reasons... for some reason, people understand buying 10 pairs of fancy running shoes more than building/buying a "few" awesome lasers.

So what do I use my lasers for?
Well, for one, I love pointing out stars and constellations-- that pillar of light is just mesmerizing! ("Which star?" -- "THAT one!" :eek:)
Illumination on camping trips (high power reds are great for preserving night vision),
Searching for fluorescent scorpions with near UV laser light (Awesome!),
Curing adhesives with near UV laser light,
Pointing out items of interest outdoors in daylight.

Some other uses could be:
Checking for counterfeit bills with a near UV laser, long distance signaling, a substitute for a flare, fishing lure, night vision illumination (IR laser)... Anything else?

Last edited:

DJNY

I didn´t forget it, I just want to mention really useful things (I know it´s in the eye of the beholder waht is "useful" ;)). Haven´t mentioned many, but RA_pierce understands the thread and added some helpful infos :p
I totally agree with you that is mutch more fun to light matches, pop balloons, draw in wood ASO.. but this isn´t the topic ;)

Where the hell is my reply ...
I posted right after RA_pierce...
Damn.

In short:
I agree with you RA, however you have to understand that things are a bit different here in Cro, meaning I don't have the the smallest worries about authoroties and my lasers.
Don't worry :D

And I second all of your safety warnings, never hurts to remind people about responsible use of those powerfull little looks-can-be-decieving things that this forum is all about :D

Where the hell is my reply ...
I posted right after RA_pierce...
Damn.

In short:
I agree with you RA, however you have to understand that things are a bit different here in Cro, meaning I don't have the the smallest worries about authoroties and my lasers.
Don't worry :D

And I second all of your safety warnings, never hurts to remind people about responsible use of those powerfull little looks-can-be-decieving things that this forum is all about :D

Oh, I didn't mean to lecture you...
I was just explaining how I feel about it personally to the forum as a whole.
I know the users HERE are aware of the proper safety precautions. ;)

Oh, I didn't mean to lecture you...
I was just explaining how I feel about it personally to the forum as a whole.
I know the users HERE are aware of the proper safety precautions. ;)
None lecture taken, don't worry about it. We cool :)
Oh forgot to justify my parallel laser/computers

Everyone will say that their computer came cheaper than their lasers...
But is that the truth?
Previous computers (all of 'em), expensive peripherals (bigass monitors, Razos mice), upgrades (new pgraphics card every couple of months because the 'old' one is not good enough o_O)
Everything combined together is sure 500mW herc ... and a coffee for a spare chage leftovers.

I have a friend who is a fanatic for such things, as soon as new graphics card comes out, he is drooling over it.
His R 4870 is not good because there is 5870x2.
Is that really neccessary?

Anyhow, I am proud of my hobby, and i really like it ;) Sure makes me feel better when I look down upon them morons wasting their money in betting shops and pubs weekends, making a fool out of themselves.

Plus, I sell a few lasers here and there and earn a bit of money...
Small things that make people happy ;)

Sorry for thread jack OP!:na:

EDIT: Ey... 777th post. Crap. Some neg rep or something inbound, I can feel it :D

BKarim

1) cool gadget (especially with the star cap)
2) cat toy
3) anti-crows weapon
4) anti-agression weapon
5) flashlight

and if you don't fear to appear as a squared freak
7) star pointing
8) radiometer power source
9) holography light source

NEVER SAY IT CAN "BURN STUFF" :)

Last edited:
1) cool gadget (especially with the star cap)
2) cat toy
3) anti-scrow weapon
4) anti-agression weapon
5) flashlight

and if you don't fear to appear as a squared freak
7) star pointing
8) radiometer power source
9) holography light source

NEVER SAY IT CAN "BURN STUFF" :)
Good points except very last one...

"NEVER SAY IT CAN "BURN STUFF"" :cryyy: Whyyy?!?!?

You obviously never tried out paper burning with 1W IR handheld ;)

Just kidding :D

Well said.:wave:

Last resort self defense weapon ? rob
Make that first resort :D When words fail... you pull out the laser.

DieselMarine can tell ya how a neat bluray can give a nice warning signal to the attacker, no matter how dump he is.

I have used my laser to check the staightness of walls, concrete forms, etc. Saves a lot of time when you can use a beam of light instead of blocks & string for a last minute check.
A friends dog will actually come and nip the hand holding the laser if it is turned off before he is done chasing it. I would have to say he loves chasing the dot.

So far, I only used my new style dilda to see how different materials would react to a focussed beam (and surprisingly, I found out that it's very easy to burn light brown carton, while a black liquorice candy is almost impervious to any effect).

And, as BKarim says, it would make a cool anti-aggression weapon.
-You get attacked
-You say: "Let me show you a magic trick. Now you see me..."
-You focus the dilda right into the aggressor's eyes
-You say: "NOW YOU DON'T!!!"

So far, I only used my new style dilda to see how different materials would react to a focussed beam (and surprisingly, I found out that it's very easy to burn light brown carton, while a black liquorice candy is almost impervious to any effect).

And, as BKarim says, it would make a cool anti-aggression weapon.
-You get attacked
-You say: "Let me show you a magic trick. Now you see me..."
-You focus the dilda right into the aggressor's eyes
-You say: "NOW YOU DON'T!!!"

On a bit serious note, I think I would react different I was attacked...
"Gimmeh yo' wallet!"
I'd be like: "Ok Ok here it is, there..."
I'd be reaching into my jacket inner pocket, that is where I usually keep my lasers, not the side pockets.
Also will look as if I were really reaching fo' my wallet.

Oh WTF am I on about...
It would need to be defocused to hit the head more easy (wth)
Also, if the attacker approaches from behind and gives you a poke with a knife in your kidneys, that would not be nice... laser would be useless in such situation.

Let's hope none of us have to defend ourselves.