Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why do we have to use laser safety goggles?

Ash

Human eyes are the most sensitive organ of the human body. The laser is made to highly gather the ultra energy and power at the focus within seconds, while our eyes lens also functions as focusing; all combines to make the power in the unit area shot at the retina increases nearly one million times. The laser has great monochromaticity and thus shows little chromatic aberration within the optical fundus, because the pulsed laser injury speed is much faster than the blink reflex: generally speaking, the blink reflex time of human eyes is 150-250ms, while the response of pulsed laser can be as short as 10-6s and even 10-12 S level. Because pulsed laser injury is much faster than the blink reflex (eye blink reflex time is usually 150-250ms, while the laser pulse can be as short as 10-6s and even 10-12 S level). Coupled with a extremely short moment, in a extremely small area, the extremely intense release of the ultra concentration of the energy and power, no wonder even the low doses of laser irradiation may also cause serious damage on the cornea or retina. Moreover, the eye injury caused by laser irradiation is cumulative, so even the little injury is not obvious enough, but don't wait until it's too late.
:thinking:
This was taken word for word from Jetlasers safety glasses page. I just found it really funny and think they need to correct a few things. :wtf:

lol. Im pretty sure there just used to keep the UV ray's coming out of the laser.. I think that description is funny though. It would be so much easier if people just simplified there explaination's rather then doing it the scientific way.:barf:

Ash

lol. Im pretty sure there just used to keep the UV ray's coming out of the laser.. I think that description is funny though. It would be so much easier if people just simplified there explaination's rather then doing it the scientific way.:barf:
Um.. UV rays? Sure from a 405nm laser :crackup: looks like you have a lot of learning to do.

In reality, you should wear safety glasses for all laser >5mW. Having permanent and irreversible eye damage is no joke.
blind.gif

Yes. Jetlasers should simplify their explanation.

Last edited:
I'm sure they C/P it from some where and probably don't
even understand what they posted...:whistle:

@foshizzle45
And where did the UV reference come from....:thinking:

Jerry

Last edited:

Fenzir

The terminology was right at least. It's surprisingly accurate, but I could not for the life of me understand this
"all combines to make the power in the unit area shot at the retina increases nearly one million times."

But the rest of it is pretty accurate, but if you don't have background knowledge, reading this would be of no help to you.

DTR

Well they may not have good terminology but I have a pair of the OD4 glasses and I have to say they work really well.

With a 1.9W 445 and a 300mW 532 it does not even make my LPM flinch.

p1017020.jpg

p1017021.jpg

Lasers safety goggles should be used as last line of defense, the design and handling matters.

It's not my fault im stupid. lol. See I learn a new thing each day, but im pretty sure that all laser's have UV ray's, but all but the 405nm have a UV protector? or some sort of glass peice that lowers the UV amount. Or something like that. Don't hate on the newb:twak:

No UV in any lasers (unless they are meant to be UV).
405nm is near UV. Cheap green 532nm can also emit IR @ 808nm & 1064nm if they don't have an IR filter.

Last edited:
IR!!! Thats what i meant, not uv. lol My bad. I meant Infer Red. lol. Whoopsies. Sorry, I just got into Laser's so what i know as of right now is limited.

I want a pair of those but why does JetLasers charge $30 shipping?

Hello, it is Infra red i geuss,

hmm, i geuss if u just be responsible with ur actions u dont need glasses.
i dont know if some laser kind emit a kind of radiaton that if u look at the beam or an bright dot damage ur eyes,

or am i wrong?

The word is derived from the Greek monochrome single words (a) and chroma (surface, color).

Last edited:

Ash

hmm, i geuss if u just be responsible with ur actions u dont need glasses.
i dont know if some laser kind emit a kind of radiaton that if u look at the beam or an bright dot damage ur eyes,

or am i wrong?
Totally wrong.
A laser emits visible and invisible light radiation and at >100mW, either can be very damaging to your eyes.
Simply looking at the dot of a powerful laser (without safety glasses) can cause permanent eye injury. Reflections off of a mirror or glass can also cause eye injury much faster than you can blink.
See: Laser damage

If you don't want to blind yourself playing with lasers >100mW, you need different safety glasses for each different color laser. Green (or blue) colored lenses protect against red lasers, yellow lenses block bluray (Near-UV 405 +10nm), red colored glasses are good for protection from green or dark blue laser, etc.
Most cheap green lasers have a lot of IR that isn't filtered out. This invisible laser light can fuck your eyes up, and you wouldn't know it until it's too late. :(
The word is derived from the Greek monochrome single words (a) and chroma (surface, color).

Yes, this is right as diode and filtered DPSS lasers emit a single color of light.

Okay,thank u very much.

then it is going to be an cheaper laser and better goggles:yh:

Because i dont wanna be blind.

What kind of goggles do you need? I have more goggles than I need and I'm not that far away...

Last edited: