Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why do people doing a labby setup hide the components/Ive been a busy boy(405,650)

Well Ive seen many project box setups, the components usually end up in the box. So I wanted to do something a little different, also I didnt want to arse around with drilling plastic with no clamps. I made 2 labby style lasers today, one using an lpc-815 at 375ma using a lm317 based driver. The other is a sf-aw210 at 170ma. This is my first real build, Ive done a 1-1.2w 445 but that was with a kit that only needed 2 solders so it doesn't count.

Warning largeish images ahead with horrid cellphone quality!!!

These 2 shots are of the 445 before I hotglued everything down, I used stickytack to see how I liked the setup. That is a uranium marble in the 2nd shot.

15O4Ml.jpg

skvwAl.jpg

Here is both of em together. One is on the cap of the project box the other is on the metal plate that comes with the project box (radioshack)
TP6iJl.jpg

K4KEKl.jpg

The 2nd shot I blew some vapor from my e-cig to make the beams a bit more visible.

Last edited:

Mainly because in general, labbys aren't battery powered. And it's usually a bad idea to have exposed dangerous voltages. Plus usually DIY ones use DIY drivers as well. Which the owners probably don't want bumped, stuff dropped on, etc.

Reactions: ped
Pretty colors Nice builds pictures always help get the point across !
I should tell you it's not a good idea to put the marble that close to the lens !
A reflection back into the diode could kill it !
And also have you heard of tinypic.com try down loading your picture there and resizing it so it's easer for everone to look at.
Have FUN and be SAFE ;)

Well to be honest the title wasnt a legitimate question, was trying to have a clever title. I just have always liked electronics you could see the guts of. Also is it just me or is going from a 30-40mw 405 to a ~170mw 405 not too impressive. The dot almost looks the same, just a tad brighter. Only difference is if I put the dot on my hand it gets warm quickly. I still love it however.

Things

Due to the eyes sensitivity to light being non linear, it takes about 4 times the power to double the brightness, which is probably what you are seeing.

Benm

I suppose most labstyle builds are enclosed units with both the laser diode, module and driver in one box. The box should prefereably be a metal one with some heatsinking fins.

I doubt it has anything to do with hiding the components - the driver circuits are commonly available - but just building one solid unit that is more rugged and doesnt have a seperate driver board that comes off with a bit of abuse.

TTerbo

if you like that sort of thing, get a open tube HeNe,
sounds like something you might like

anselm

Nice and compact. I like it. :)
I'm curious though: What runtime do you get off those 9V blocks?
Are they primary or rechargeable?

the primary 9v blocks should allow a..
50 minute continuous use.
alcaline should allow 4 times that (3:20)

I have only messed with em for a bit so not sure on runtime, they are alkaline. I used em since they are compact and available EVERYWHERE, I may swap to 2-3 10440s later on but for now 9v is fine. I built these as a result of my driver in my 445 dying. I picked up a project box, lm317, 1ohm 10w resistor and these 9v batteries in an attempt to have a working 445 till my new driver arrived. I then realized there is no way in hell a 9v could make 1+ amps of output so I scrapped the idea. I then thought "hey I got all the pieces to do a completely diy laser setup" so I went back to radio shack, returned the 1ohm 1w resistor and picked up another lm317, a pack of 22ohm resistors and a pack of 10ohm resistors. Then ordered the diodes from Modwerx and some heatsinks from aixiz. It all arrived on the same day thankfully and here I am. Since everything is simply hotglued into place it would be easy to transplant into something like a project box but I like the simplicity of it as it is. They are literally just battery, switch, lm317, 3x resistors, LD. Sure I should have a cap for voltage spikes but Im not too worried, the LDs I got were very cheap.

EDIT: Well the 9v batteries do lose voltage fast, while on the 650nm one drops it down to 7.xx volts and checked its draw on the battery and it slowly drops but very steadily so Im thinking doing 3x lithium batteries are in order. Or would I be better off with just 2? I was worried the voltage would drop too low rather quickly on 2 cells but Im not too sure. Also debating on using 10440s or 14500s, I could do 3x 10440s where the 9v was or 3x 14500s on the underside with the wires running through a hole to the parts. 14500s would last longer but make the unit a bit more bulky. Or I could just get some nimh 9v rechargeables for the cheap and simply have to charge them all the time.

Last edited: