Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why Children shouldn't be allowed to own a laser

Lock-out keys are the best solution, IMO. If someone is bright enough to understand how a switch works, they should at least understand that it's there for a reason. If they know how to bypass it, then hopefully they also know what they're doing.

My roommate has 3 or 4 year age advantage on me, but he is still too umm, childish? to be trusted with anything besides my cat toy laser and my alkaline flashlights.

Lock-out keys are also good child deterrants. One weekend I had left to pick up some food. Normally, my roommate isn't around on weekends. I come back and his GF and a couple of kids were sitting in the living room! I'm glad they never noticed my laser pointer sitting on the table, but if they had, a lockout key would have been great in that situation.

it's a touchy subject... there are indeed many mature and intelligent kids that view lasers as a fascinating science project... but there are so many other "dumb" kids who will point at someone's eyes 3 seconds after it's in their hands.

My best friend had a great, bright kid a few years ago, and unfortunately something happened and his brain got disconnected... now he's a mindless drone of an adolescent and everything he does, say or think is utterly dumb. Adolescence is a terrible disease, and only a few get cured... ;) Sometines, it's a combination of peer pressure, hormones and ADD that wreaks havoc in their still-forming brain.

Present company excepted of course, there are lots of bright young kids on LPF that ask intelligent and pertinent questions, and seem to take the laser hobby seriously. My hat's off to them!

Robert

Gamma rays don't affect the wall either. I guess that means cobalt-60 is safe to ingest.

I don't think that you should have to be 18 to own a laser, but I do think that there should be some sort of license required in order to own a Class 3B or Class 4 laser. I'm 16, and I know a lot of people that would point a laser at their eyes and their friends eyes, even if they know the risks. For example, I told one of my friends about a 2W IR laser I am building as well as the risks that go along with it (I told him that it would be more than 2000 times stronger than a Dollar Tree pointer), and he responded with an, "Oh, that would blind you instantly, wouldn't it? Oh, you know what I'm going to do? I'm going to point it at my arm!" and then started laughing. He's normally quite responsible, but apparently I overestimated his capability of understanding plain-and-simple danger. I know that if he were required to read a handbook and take a knowledge then he would be a little more responsible, but I'm not sure that would be enough for everybody. I think the license would need to require something like an Oregon Driver's License would: not only a knowledge test, but also a demonstrative test showing you can physically handle a laser in a safe, efficient manner. That's just me though, I know many of you will disagree.

lol I agree and disagree, I'm 15, and i own so many lasers, 6 to be exact, and I always thought it would be funny to point at a plane or aircraft, but after i was browsing youtube for a while I found that a 13 year old kid got arrested and went to juevy for pointing it a heli many times, Btw it was from wicked lasers. Anyway back to the point, that kid lived only 20-30miles away from me, which really shocked me, and that maturized me from even point in the sky at all... But for giggles I usually moniter that there are no air crafts, and then point are a short period of time, because of the amusment.

Yeah, I hate the sky, I'm so paranoid around it now, what if there's a plane at cruising altitude and I just can't see it, will they see the light? I doubt it, but an onboard camera might! I try to limit sky pointing to stars or, if I'm watching meteors, to say "hey, did YOU see one right there too?"

Razako

Even at cruising altitude planes have lights that you can generally see. They'll look sort of like a moving star. In any event at that altitude they probably wouldn't even notice a laser hit. At worst it would look like a bright green light in the distance and it would hit the bottom of the plane anyway where nobody would see it.

The main thing you've gotta watch out for when sky pointing is helicopters. It's not so much that you're gonna hit them, but you don't want them to be flying by and see your beam and decide that they wanna be a hero and get in the news. Fortunately helicopters are quite loud and if you can't hear them they're probably not gonna be close enough to notice the beam.

cmak

hello,

yes you are right.children shouldn't allow to own a laser.because of many reasons because it is very dangerous and children don't understand about it. so it is compulsory to restrict children from using this.

thanks!!

Grammar-friendly version: Yes, you are right. In my opinion, children shouldn't be allowed to own a laser for many reasons. One of the reasons is that lasers are very dangerous and children do not understand that; therefore, I find it compulsory to restrict children from using them. Thanks!!
Laser licenses are a retarded solution imo. Should we require a license to buy and set off fireworks? How about matches? One carelessly uses firework like a roman candle or mortar can seriously injure someone or burn an entire forest to the ground.

Also fireworks are like lasers in the sense that they're "just for fun" with no practical use or need.

IMO the laser misuse problem is growing exponentially right now due to a number of factors.
1-Increased media coverage giving the idiots the idea in the first place.
2-Ultra cheap and easily obtainable high powered green lasers from china. Someone who has $1000+ to buy an rpl or herc is probably smart enough that they won't be stupid with it.
3-Lasers give typical idiots and hooligans a way to effectively reach out and annoy/endanger people without them having any way to retaliate. You can hit your target from thousands of feet away without generating noise and by the time you track the green beam back to its origin they're probably already long gone unless they're stupid enough to do it from their house or balcony.

IMO something like 30% of laser incidents are probably purely accidental and result from people with no real ill intent who simply are too stupid to understand what they've got. They're used to the cheapo <5mw reds that you can annoy people with and they're out drunk at night, see a plane and the rest is history. The other 70% are purely malicious and are meant to cause havoc and panic.

I seriously do wonder about the people doing this sometimes. What are their motives for these deliberate attacks? What if that organized group in Australia targeting landing planes with multiple lasers had actually managed to down a plane and kill hundreds? Would they all "celebrate" with a beer or something? Are they actually "laser terrorists" trying to kill people?

If these are deliberate attempts at generating panic or killing people IE "laser terrorists" then there really isn't much that a ban or licenses will do.
I'm curious as to where/how you came up with those statistics... :confused:

hello,

yes you are right.children shouldn't allow to own a laser.because of many reasons because it is very dangerous and children don't understand about it. so it is compulsory to restrict children from using this.

thanks!!

good luck doing that i'm 15 i have 6 and counting plus I sold some to my friends.

I first bought a 125mW fusion when I was 15. Its all about maturity. I've never had the cops at my door for trying to down a plane :p

A mixture of pressure washing driveways, helping my dad put in irrigation systems, and selling videogames. I think I paid like 550 or so back then, I cant really remember.

A mixture of pressure washing driveways, helping my dad put in irrigation systems, and selling videogames. I think I paid like 550 or so back then, I cant really remember.

Wow $550 is crazy. Today you could get a Nova lasers CNI X-225 which is almost 250mW green laser "pen"". Dang I bet you really did save $505, cuss kids like us have stuff, but only real way to $505 is to sell nearly everything though. Like all your consoles, games, ipod's, and also a little more side money. You are true laser fan, I bought all my lasers from china; O-like, and Rayfoss.

lol, if guys never thought of this. You could sell your powerful 100mW green lasers, to random people who no nothing what so ever about lasers, but if they see it burns, they may think it's worth like $1000's, I made a lil money like that, so funny. Not too much, just sold to friends, I made only $5 more than paid, plus I used them for like 2 months each.

I wheeled a pressure washer around my neighborhood and pressure washed driveways for 50 bucks a piece :D

I also had a pulsar and another fusion I bought used, I've sold both of those though.

I've tried selling my lasers to people at bars and clubs. They think its amazing till you tell them the price lol