Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Who wants to take this project on; host for 15W IR C-Mount Diode

Anyone here with machining capability and experience with laser pointers want to take on a project for me? Need a host for a C-Mount 808nm 15W CW output rated FAC corrected diode with battery and regulator good for 16 amps constant current and a duty cycle allowing at least 3 minutes of transmit with 1 minute off between cycles, better if constant rated.

Beam divergence of the diode alone with FAC lens is 8 & 1.5 degrees, would like as tight a beam with the least divergence reasonably possible in a portable battery operated housing with an auxiliary 12-14 VDC external input power connector.

Last edited:

I don't think it's going to work, honestly.

There is literally no need to go that high in invisible power in portable host. Ever. Period.

That aside, there's no way to get 16 Amp regulator inside a portable host. Components capable of regulating that much juice are too massive.

THAT aside, what sort of battery will supply 16 Amps for more than 5 seconds?

Unless your concept of portability is more on the "Can be moved with forklift, probably" side, this machinists's opinion is that this is not doable.

Might be possible with an active cooled heatsink with a TEC.

It's an audacious project, but I think it is possible at a reasonably portable package.

I think Laser Project means 16A and 2-3V at the diode level so about 50W at the battery outputs, which can be accomplished with R/C li-po packs or SLA (heavy) cells.

Might be possible with an active cooled heatsink with a TEC.

It's an audacious project, but I think it is possible at a reasonably portable package.

I think Laser Project means 16A and 2-3V at the diode level so about 50W at the battery outputs, which can be accomplished with R/C li-po packs or SLA (heavy) cells.

And with all that said, it falls into "Movable with forklift" host size.

But question is why?

You sure won't admire the pretty beam. No skypointing. If you want to cut anything, it should be a box labby setup, not specifically portable.

It's the motivations that have the potential to concern me, here.

rhd

The electronics are doable, and frankly not that difficult. A quad parallel of buck drivers using off the shelf regulator ICs can accomplish the 16A target. This could be fed be even a modest 7.2V 1000mah lipo without straining the cell above 10C (likely closer to 7 or 8C). You'd only get 6 or so minutes of power per charge, but that's not terrible depending in application.

That's the real question though - what's your application?

tumblr_lif42yE0Rs1qgnsnbo1_500.gif

random question: if someone builds a custom high power ultrasonic actuator for someone else, and that person uses it to tear down their neighbor's house, killing the entire family in the process, is the builder liable for any of it?

This is for an industrial prototype, the fact it can run off of batteries isn't indicative of using it outside where harm can come to anyone, this will be used inside only in a closed room with protections. I am looking for a sub contractor to build the first one on a shoe string budget but I am sure enough money to attract someone who does this kind of work.

The fact it can run off of batteries as well as have a 12-14 VDC aux input isn't my concern, my customer wants it, a large corporation but I have signed a non-disclosure agreement. Why me and not them? I do contract work for them in other areas, this is not normally my area of expertise.

rhd

The fact it can run off of batteries as well as have a 12-14 VDC aux input isn't my concern, my customer wants it, a large corporation but I have signed a non-disclosure agreement. Why me and not them? I do contract work for them in other areas, this is not normally my area of expertise.

A - don't double post (two threads, or two back to back posts - just edit)

B - getting to the substance of your idea, I have a few comments that you would do well to address, because others may be thinking this way also.

1) If it's a large corporation backing the prototype, why is it a shoestring budget?

2) What, in numbers, is your actual budget? That will be critical information before anyone puts serious thought into assisting.

3) What's the diode model, and where is it being purchased from?

I can see there are a lot of concerned individuals and I understand your concern but at this point I won't ask for more response as I have someone willing to do the work now. Thank you for your help.

rhd

I can see there are a lot of concerned individuals and I understand your concern but at this point I won't ask for more response as I have someone willing to do the work now. Thank you for your help.

Translation: My story is nonsense and I've been called on it. Retreat!

Last edited:
Translation: My story is nonsense and I've been called on it. Retreat!

:) I won't disclose my bid and award, it doesn't make much sense to tell what I'm being paid to a sub contractor.

It also doesn't make much sense to close discussion to people who might help you after only 8 hours.