Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Which is the BEST laser color for BURNING?

scion

I have a 50mW Green Laser, it does not burn of ccourse!

But however, I'm curious at which level of mW will a red laser Burn as opposed to a Green laser or Blue Laser??

Which one will burn faster??

Let me rephrase for some to understand the question...

At what mW will a Red laser burn?
At what mW will a Green Laser burn?
At what mW will a Blue Laser burn?

In addition: How does the "nm" number relate to the Laser? (ex. 532nm)

Thank you for you responses.

daguin

50mW of green will burn stuff IF it is focused. Get yourself a simple magnifying glass and use it to focus the beam down to a small dot.

Peace,
dave

the "nm" stands for wave length. so it relates to the lasers color in the spectrum of light. so 532 is green 405 is violet (blu-ray) 653, 650 660 are reds. above that goes into infra-red and below the 405 goes into the ultra violet spectrum.

cust11

Every color wavelength has the same burning "potential" if it is focused correctly. It has been argued that most surfaces absorb ultra violet light better than most other wavelengths but I can't confirm or deny that. After a certain point it becomes personal prefrence. I personally like my 405nm lasers over red and green. That and a burning yellow or blue is totally out of the question (a 2nd mortgage).

-Mike

scion

Every color wavelength has the same burning "potential" if it is focused correctly. It has been argued that most surfaces absorb ultra violet light better than most other wavelengths but I can't confirm or deny that. After a certain point it becomes personal prefrence. I personally like my 405nm lasers over red and green. That and a burning yellow or blue is totally out of the question (a 2nd mortgage).

-Mike

To all who responded, thanks for you input!

cust11, Which color is your 405nm? violet/blue?

BTW, i have a 50mW Green laser, if i focus it, it will burn?
I was under the impression you would need about 95mW power to burn.

Now i am on a hunt for a magnifying glass!!! haha!

I'm going to purchase a laser that i can burn with real easily.
However Blue is a bit more expensive, does a red laser burn better than green laser?

scion

I'm wondering if it would be possible to swap out my laser pointer parts for a more powerful laser?
Just curious if its possible or if i should just buy another laser instead of tampering with a perfectly good laser!?

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

daguin

However Blue is a bit more expensive, does a red laser burn better than green laser?

405nm is violet. You can see many pictures of it in the "blu-Ray & violet laser" board.

The color of the laser really doesn't matter for burning ability. It is the focus of the light, the "steadiness" of your hand, and the material that is being burned that is more important in burning.

You don't "need" 95mW to burn. I have a video somewhere of me lighting a match with a well-focused 35mW violet laser.

If you do not want to build your own, but want to burn stuff, look at Dark Army of One's "for sale" posting in the "buy/sell/trade" board. 110mW of focused violet (405nm) will burn lots of stuff very easily.

Peace,
dave

cust11

405nm is a violet/blue color. It is borderline invisible so each person may see it slightly different. To me it is violet and flouresces blue on white paper. I would say a 50mW COULD burn if it was focused really well. My 75mW viper will light matches but wont "burn", while my 250~mW GGW will burn right through white paper.

If you want a burning laser on a budget, grab either dilda from o-like. they are 200mW reds for like $47. Almost everyone has one. As for your laser sight, you MAY be able to swap out the module/driver but it will most likley need some modifications. I really hope if you do swap that laser out that you don't use it around anyone else. Lasers over 5mW can cause very serious damage in a fraction of a second. Hope this helps.

-Mike

scion

excellent information! I really appreciate your help!

I've had this green laser for about 3 years, and im ready for upgrade or change. I'll prolly leave this one alone, although i would love to be able to focus it!

I will prolly buy the $47 or $53 red 200mW laser on o-like! Im in the US, so i'll prolly have the battery/charger shipped seperately. I havnt decided which model i'll get yet thoguh. which one do you recommend?

cust11

I personally like the new style a little more than the old style. Looks more like a RPL and less like a *...well you know*. Susie stands behind all of her products so regarless of which one you choose, you will be satifsied.

-Mike

scion

Picture4-15.png

Which one are you referring to? Which would be the best one to get out those 3 high power lasers?
I like the 2nd one's look, although the 1st one seems like its the better laser?

cust11

The second one says "new style" >.>

As far as quality/up to spec. All 3 are on par with each other.

-Mike

The first one is new. I have one on the way, But the 2nd one has been proven to be a great burning laser.

Blu-ray obviously burns better somewhat. if you hold an 400mW 8x to your hand focused to infinity, it will blister you almost instantly, like 3-4 seconds.

if you hold a 400mW red (660nm) laser focused to infinity it doesnt blister you, just stings.

This is just my personal experiance though, i make NO official claims.

i say 405nm burns FAR better per mW

Thx for the plug Daguin ^_^