Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

where do you guys buy your lens mounts for your scanners?

sry for the 3rd post, but i entered "port" into the search bar and what came up first were headphones.
i also typed in computer plug but p[rinter cables were the only things that came up

If you're looking for information on the ILDA breakout board, type "ILDA breakout board" in the search pane. I just did it on PL and came up with a TON of stuff.. Google as well..

actually i have no idea what im lookin for.
muffin man just said to search the word port on jaycar.com

Lol i liked the analogy myself..

Hmm...I just typed in port on jaycar and it didnt work...Sorry :( ....Ill just link you:

IEC Fuse Chassis Male Power Plug with Switch - Jaycar Electronics

I have a 6 hour car ride tomorrow so expect some uber detailed drawings of everything lol...

Sorry i didnt respond till now...I was partying lol! :D I will have enough money for both lasers. My dad is buying me the galvos so all i will actually need is:

The AMP (45)
Spaghetti(50)
Breakout board(24)
Power plug from jaycar (8?)
Possibly an aluminum plate (30-50)
DICHRO/mount(noo!!) (100ish? correct me if im wrong..)

For a total of?(drum roll please!): 277 if i get the aluminum plate. I may just stick with a piece of wood for my first couple of months...

Tell me if i missed anything on the list guys..

Gender changer .. $8

Working DIY scanner.........................priceless..

Good stuff. I can't wait to see it all come together.. both of you.

It wouldn't be possible without your help. Really, you don't know how much I appreciate it.

Until I put in a box it will just be mounted on the plate. I will just have the surge protector plugged directly into the wall...if everything is mounted on the (aluminum/wood...I would like to know for both) plate, would it have sufficient cooling for a 45 minute runtime? That is giving 20 minute warm up, a couple of tests ~10, 10 minute show, and extra for fooling around.

What is the smallest I could fit a rgy onto? I don't want to be cramped. I was thinking 18X12 inches.

EDIT: just found this: http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-2408-8360-14-6061-t651-aluminum-plate.aspx. 36.something for an 18x12 1/4" thick SLAB. What do you think?

[threadjack/]

Last edited:

DJZ

Hey guys, you could actually use the breakout board without using a gender changer. If you buy the passthru cable, it will carry probably all the signals you'll need: +X, -X, +Y, -Y, +R, -R, +G, -G, +B, -B, +I, -I, Loop, Loop rtrn, shutter and ground. The passthru cable has a female end.

I think it's a creative use for the breakout board, when I designed it, I certainly didn't have this function in mind. I'm glad to see you guys find it usefull, it means a lot! I'm proud to say I've sold nearly 100 of these things!

Lol i liked the analogy myself..

Hmm...I just typed in port on jaycar and it didnt work...Sorry :( ....Ill just link you:

IEC Fuse Chassis Male Power Plug with Switch - Jaycar Electronics

I have a 6 hour car ride tomorrow so expect some uber detailed drawings of everything lol...

Sorry i didnt respond till now...I was partying lol! :D I will have enough money for both lasers. My dad is buying me the galvos so all i will actually need is:

The AMP (45)
Spaghetti(50)
Breakout board(24)
Power plug from jaycar (8?)
Possibly an aluminum plate (30-50)
DICHRO/mount(noo!!) (100ish? correct me if im wrong..)

For a total of?(drum roll please!): 277 if i get the aluminum plate. I may just stick with a piece of wood for my first couple of months...

Tell me if i missed anything on the list guys..

its funny i actually already had that link on my things to buy cuz i saw it on another thread(i dont know whose it was but it couldve been yours) and i added it to my list :D
and your are so lucky!!

Gender changer .. $8

Working DIY scanner.........................priceless..

Good stuff. I can't wait to see it all come together.. both of you.

haha heeckk yaaa!! and :thanks:

It wouldn't be possible without your help. Really, you don't know how much I appreciate it.

Until I put in a box it will just be mounted on the plate. I will just have the surge protector plugged directly into the wall...if everything is mounted on the (aluminum/wood...I would like to know for both) plate, would it have sufficient cooling for a 45 minute runtime? That is giving 20 minute warm up, a couple of tests ~10, 10 minute show, and extra for fooling around.

What is the smallest I could fit a rgy onto? I don't want to be cramped. I was thinking 18X12 inches.

EDIT: just found this: Speedy Metals - 1/4" 6061-T651 Aluminum Plate. 36.something for an 18x12 1/4" thick SLAB. What do you think?

hell no it wouldnt be possible without EF!! haha we appreciate all the help =]]
and ya the looks good.
honestly i think what andy_con did with his scanner is pretty cool (the enclosure)
there are pics of it on the 5th page.

[threadjack/]

Hey guys, you could actually use the breakout board without using a gender changer. If you buy the passthru cable, it will carry probably all the signals you'll need: +X, -X, +Y, -Y, +R, -R, +G, -G, +B, -B, +I, -I, Loop, Loop rtrn, shutter and ground. The passthru cable has a female end.

I think it's a creative use for the breakout board, when I designed it, I certainly didn't have this function in mind. I'm glad to see you guys find it usefull, it means a lot! I'm proud to say I've sold nearly 100 of these things!

thats awesome! and are you sure you can do that?
and psshh you better be proud, i know i would be :D

Or you could start with a female db25 breakout board(do you have the picture of the db25 connector that has the pinout? Like 1 is x+, 2 is y+ ect.):

DB25 Female Connector for Field Termination - DGB25FT

then you just have a male to female db25 cord. I will probably just do this. I might even put it in an aluminum box. I found some nice boxes on maplin that would be perfect.

I'm on my iPhone right now on my way back home. 6 hour drive :(. I will be here but intermittently.

Here you go.. This was put together by XysteR on the other thread, and it describes the layout of a single color scanner very well. The ILDA pinout is on here too:

The breakout board I've been recommending takes the place of wiring directly to the DB-25 connector and is just to make the connections simpler for those who are building a scanner for the first time. It makes keeping track of them much easier. They're almost a requirement for RGB scanners, IMO.

Connections-to-ILDA-1.jpg

Last edited:
ummm, do you guys understand how awesome you are? SERIOUSLY!!!!!!! this is like the diagram of DIAGRAMS!! haha

:bowdown:

thanks guys =]
im pretty sure i have it real clear now!

Just got back...

EF: I tested out the fan on the heatsink. It fits perfectly. Im not sure how i will secure it...Could i just use superglue? The air flow seems amazing...

Another note: When i first turn on the laser with the fan on top it seems to "flicker" a little bit...The fan is a brushless...Any ideas why this is..? It seems to do it a little bit without the fan there...

Yet another: How much violet would i need to have a good balance...Depending on how much more money i get for my birthday i would maybe like to add in a 6x to the blend lol.

Also(lol), do you have a z-bolt heatsink? If so, would you mind measuring the height that the beam exits at? I am still trying to figure out how high it is...(last time i measured it seemed like it was 17.9mm..)

Would 18X12 be enough for a RGV? I would like to have enough room in the future..

The fans/flexmod run off of 12V (max). Could i run everything at 10V? If so, Could i use a wall wart to power the fans, and the flexmods? There would be 1 flexmod/1 fan per laser. Would i connect them in parallel?

(SORRY MATT!!) This may be a nooby question, but, Could i cut the wires off of the green module and solder on a flexmod (as long as a knew polarity)? This would give it analogue correct?

Sorry for asking so many questions matt...I do think the question about changing the green laser to analogue would help you out a bit(even if you dont choose to move into multi-color scanners..). It could create depth in animations. I heard that the analogue blanking on the soundcard wasnt terrific but it gets the job done..

Also if you guys want to get me a birthday present:

Laserworld PL-40000RGB (40W RGB Laser, DMX, ILDA) - eBay (item 220444742751 end time Aug-28-09 03:53:49 PDT)

There are 5 available so feel free to get more than 1 (LOL)

Last edited:
haha seriously man ask as many questions as you want. i probably wont be makin more than one colors, but in the future i will know so much more if i do wanna build a rgb or somethin.

hahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahaha that birthday thing was so funny!!! hhahaha.
if i won the lottery, of course i would buy it. =]]