Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where do you get your wire?

This thread would have really been better as a survey. "What kind of wire do you prefer to use in your builds?"

But even then its not really a good thread to make, lol.

I work with computers all day.
I get most of my project wire from stripping out the IDE and SATA data cables that run from the motherboard to the hard drives.

If I need a larger gauge, I use the 5 and 12v peripheral power connector wires.

PC power supplies make great 5, 7 and 12volt regulated power supplies.
The fan/heatsinks from the CPU and the GPU chips, make great active coolers.

SuicideKing said:
I work with computers all day.
I get most of my project wire from stripping out the IDE and SATA data cables that run from the motherboard to the hard drives.

If I need a larger gauge, I use the 5 and 12v peripheral power connector wires.

PC power supplies make great 5, 7 and 12volt regulated power supplies.
The fan/heatsinks from the CPU and the GPU chips, make great active coolers.
How do you keep them turned on? I've seen devices that you can connect to the ATX plug to turn them on/off but I'm curious if there is a DIY way.

rocketparrotlet said:
I don't see the problem with PhotonSky.  Why was he banned?  Seemed like a nice guy to me...

-Mark

Cause he's a douche... Seriously though, IIRC he made 50 some posts within less than 12 hours of joining. Most of the posts were useless and reminiscent of several other banned accounts (Ieon, Auslasersuck, Paoki ring any bells ?).  

Back on topic, 22-26 gauge wire(most common gauge used) can be found in your local electronic store. Anything larger gauge(14 or so) can be found at your local home improvement store...

Things

"Where do you get wire" requires about the same common sense it takes to find your food!
Dunno why so many people are asking the most ridiculous questions.

daguin

Things said:
"Where do you get wire" requires about the same common sense it takes to find your food!

Because they are looking for the "magic wire" that will assemble itself into a laser ;)

Peace,
dave

Is it me or has there been a flood of n00bs in the past 3 weeks  :-?

EDIT: And yes I'm still a n00b too.. ::)

How do you keep them turned on? I've seen devices that you can connect to the ATX plug to turn them on/off but I'm curious if there is a DIY way.

If your power connector has 24 pins, jump pin #16 (it's always the one with the green wire) to any black wire (ground).
If your power connector has 20 pins, jump pin# 14 (again, it's always the green one) to any ground pin (black wire).

With the respective pins grounded, the power supply can be run stand alone, without a mother board and you can turn it on or off using the mechanical power switch on the back, near the power cord socket.

Most new powersupplies come with both connectors, so you could use the connector that's NOT plugged into your motherboard as a remote on/off swtich, by wiring a switch between the green wired pin and ground (one of the black wired pins).

connector_atx_pinout.GIF

runatx360.jpg

SuicideKing said:

If your power connector has 24 pins, jump pin #16 (it's always the one with the green wire) to any black wire (ground).
If your power connector has 20 pins, jump pin# 14 (again, it's always the green one) to any ground pin (black wire).

With the respective pins grounded, the power supply can be run stand alone, without a mother board and you can turn it on or off using the mechanical power switch on the back, near the power cord socket.

Most new powersupplies come with both connectors, so you could use the connector that's NOT plugged into your motherboard as a remote on/off swtich, by wiring a switch between the green wired pin and ground (one of the black wired pins).

connector_atx_pinout.GIF

runatx360.jpg

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

To bad I didnt know this before I dumped 10 200Watt AT power supplies :-[ But I still have a few ATX lying around. Thank you.

PhotonSky said:
Where do you gets wires for your builds?

I need to know where I can get wire, 1mm or less for my builds.

excellent question that others might not know where to get wire from. This is a great place for others to contribute where they obtain electrical conductors. I'll Give you a +1! Congratulations!

PhotonSky said:
Where do you gets wires for your builds?

kynar is less than 1mm but most kynar is single strand and not good for use around diodes(in case of breaks) but you can see if you can find multi strand kynar.

Laserman532 said:
[quote author=PhotonSky link=1238393720/0#0 date=1238393720]Where do you gets wires for your builds?

excellent question that others might not know where to get wire from.  This is a great place for others to contribute where they obtain electrical conductors.   I'll Give you a +1!  Congratulations![/quote]

You just gave a banned user a +rep point. ;D ;D ;D

drew said:
[quote author=PhotonSky link=1238393720/0#0 date=1238393720]Where do you gets wires for your builds?

kynar is less than 1mm but most kynar is single strand and not good for use around diodes(in case of breaks) but you can see if you can find multi strand kynar.[/quote]

i did not know that.... +1

Things said:

excellent point!! +1

Why are you handing points out like water everywhere? Dude relax. Its over..lets move on...life is to short.