Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where do I get Tritium?

I'm not talking about the keychains.
I want like tritium stock. Is this controlled? I know it's toxic and radioactive.....

Also, anyone know what kind of consistency this stuff has? Is it a powder, a solid or liquid?
I know they paint tritium onto watches so if i can find it in this form that'd be amazing.

I searched around and can't seem to find a source for it.

Tritium itself is a gas, the walls of the vial are painted with...something...phosphorous maybe? I can't remember, either way, that's what makes them glow. I'm not sure how they get tritium onto watches :thinking:

Tritium itself is a gas, the walls of the vial are painted with...something...phosphorous maybe? I can't remember, either way, that's what makes them glow. I'm not sure how they get tritium onto watches :thinking:

hmm...there has to be something to it.

Because I watched on the HX channel about all the woman who worked in the factories painting the watches, and how they ended up painting themselves with it, ended up killing them......so there has to be a physical solid form of it.
man, i want some!

I'm not talking about the keychains.
I want like tritium stock. Is this controlled? I know it's toxic and radioactive.....

Also, anyone know what kind of consistency this stuff has? Is it a powder, a solid or liquid?
I know they paint tritium onto watches so if i can find it in this form that'd be amazing.

I searched around and can't seem to find a source for it.

Tritium is a gas at standard room temperature, so it must be trapped to keep it from escaping. There is very little tritium on earth, and it has a half-life of 12.3 years. Commercial demand for tritium is 400 grams per year, and it costs $30,000 per gram... And after 12 years half of it will have decay away.

They used to use radium in those paint but they stopped when they realized it can cause cancer. Now they use tritium. So that paint probably had radium in it.

Anyways, you can buy tritium keychains on dealextreme.

--Hydro15

Last edited:
aw damnit. I'll take some radium then :D

I just want a bucket of radioacive glowing crap that will last 10+ years.

Tritium is a gas at room temperature- it's a form of hydrogen.

@Prototype, the walls of the vial are painted with a phosphor. Different phosphors cause the tube to glow different colors.

It all works like a TV picture tube really- the tritium gives off beta radiation (electrons), and they strike the phosphor. That then gives off light.

I believe you can get specialty paint which has tritium suspended (and kept in suspension by some dark magic, uhh, chemistry). Having said that, the paint's awfully expensive, and probably wouldn't last for long. Keeping hydrogen gas suspended in a liquid isn't easy.

yes tritium is the isotope Hydrogen-3, and therefore a gas at room temperature so would need to be contained somehow

csshih

I just want a bucket of radioacive glowing crap that will last 10+ years.

well it's best you don't go near said bucket -- it is toxic after all...

you won't be able to obtain large amounts of tritium as a consumer. it is also heavily regulated in the states - the only widely distributed tritium products are in gun sights, watches, etc.

regardless, you can get tiny amounts in keychain fobs from overseas companies

Yeah right, you can't fool us.
You just want to get radioactive superpowers.... :whistle:
*If you do figure out a way to obtain said superpowers, please share*

I wonder if you could just chuck any beta emitter inside a spent fluorescent tube.

You could probably just extract it from your nearest thermonuclear warhead. Since you're in MO, we've got quite a few around these parts..

i have bought several 23mm x 3mm tritium vials from merkava over at cpf.. never had a problem