Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where can I get first-surface mirrors?

Okay, so this post is not strictly related to lasers. I need a first-surface mirror (1.5 mm thick) to repair an old head-mounted display from Virtuality, which uses a pair of acrylic first-surface mirrors to reflect the images from the displays into the lenses.
I had to remove the right-hand mirror, because it lost about 50% of its reflective coating, and I need a replacement. I know first-surface mirrors are used with lasers because they don't refract light, so I thought I'd ask here. If anyone of you here ever used them, where did you buy them?

BobMc

You can find them on eBay, but I'm not sure you'll find the size you need, but it's worth a try? :thinking:

But you might have already thought of that.???

Last edited:
But you might have already thought of that.???
I already looked on Ebay. The sellers are located either in the US, China or South Korea. I'm in the EU, which translates to at least two months of waiting before receiving the mirror. If something is wrong with the mirror and I need a replacement, it means two months before they get the "wrong" mirror back, and two more months before I get the replacement. Quicker shipments would lead to shipping fees that exceed the value of the goods.

Last edited:
Anyone know of a reasonable source for concave first surface mirrors? I could use some for holography. Much better than using lenses.

diachi

Anyone know of a reasonable source for concave first surface mirrors? I could use some for holography. Much better than using lenses.

Try eBay too, if not then Thorlabs/Edmunds or maybe Eksma? I seen a giant gold convex 12" FL mirror on eBay earlier, there should be others that are regular broadband HR dichroic or silvered.

Last edited:

BobMc

I already looked on Ebay. The sellers are located either in the US, China or South Korea. I'm in the EU, which translates to at least two months of waiting before receiving the mirror. If something is wrong with the mirror and I need a replacement, it means two months before they get the "wrong" mirror back, and two more months before I get the replacement. Quicker shipments would lead to shipping fees that exceed the value of the goods.

Wow, I'm sorry, I had no idea things were that bad in the EU for shipping. It looks likes a couple other member chimed in hopefully their ideas work out. Hoping the best. :)

Try eBay too, if not then Thorlabs/Edmunds or maybe Eksma? I seen a giant gold convex 12" FL mirror on eBay earlier, there should be others that are regular broadband HR dichroic or silvered.

:crackup:

I have no use for a 12 inch gold convex mirror, nor could I afford it. Something like that is never cheap unless there are blemishes which would make it useless to me anyway. Small silvered 2-3 inch concave mirrors would be more than enough.

Last edited:
If you want to cover postage, I can send you a mirror from a Ca&&io projector. You'll have to cut to size, which isn't difficult. I ship from Germany ;) PM if you want it :beer: