Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What's your Dream LASER Diode - IF it were affordable? *Grand Purchase Plan*

Of those listed - What's your Dream Laser Diode - if it was affordable?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would do the 5W inferred laser . being inferred it will bring the cost down and being 5W it will burn anything but you will need a seriose heat sink.

OK, I asked the manufacturer to clarify if the 300mW 635nm TO18 (5.6mm)
is single or multi emitter, and or single or multi mode

They confirmed it's a SINGLE EMITTER but not single mode.
The 30mW 635nm 5.6mm diode IS Single Mode.

can someone explain ?

I thought single emitter means it's a single mode diode, and
being it's multi-mode, but single emitter, is that good enough for you all?

Anyway -
it sure beats the specs for Beam Divergence of the other data sheets,
shown in this thread, for the other companies diodes ! :beer::na::yh:

Hears a pic to help you.

multiemitterdiagram.png

The 300mW 635nm TO18 (5.6mm) diode in your spec sheet has a divergence of 35° x 7°. That will make a thin wide line, like this ________
Imageshack - 635nm300mwto1856mmspeci.jpg

The HL63133DG 170mW 635-642nm diode that Grix suggested, Has a divergence of 9° x 17°. Still a thin line but much more manageable.
http://www.opnext.com/products/pdf/ode2_071_hl63133dg_Rev1.pdf

Also with the diode Grix suggested, there will be more than just this laserist community interested in buying them;)

Hears a pic to help you.

multiemitterdiagram.png

The 300mW 635nm TO18 (5.6mm) diode in your spec sheet has a divergence of 35° x 7°. That will make a thin wide line, like this ________
Imageshack - 635nm300mwto1856mmspeci.jpg

The HL63133DG 170mW 635-642nm diode that Grix suggested, Has a divergence of 9° x 17°. Still a thin line but much more manageable.
http://www.opnext.com/products/pdf/ode2_071_hl63133dg_Rev1.pdf

Also with the diode Grix suggested, there will be more than just this laserist community interested in buying them;)

You're really "grasping at straws" here.... Grix's is also multi-quantum well

I'm sure if you tried to over-drive that one it would start to have worse divergence than my 300mW, and mine is also much better than the 445nm ones you're using, divergence wise.

It's obvious, the higher the mW output, the more divergence the beam will show, so it's up to all of you. I don't have a connection to the Opnext company, and can't start purchasing from several different manufactures for different quantities. That's not how to get the best pricing on these.

I'm not just asking these manufactures for 10, or 100, so I can't break-up the purchase between them and expect to get pricing as 1000, or 5000 or more pieces.

I'm not trying to force you to take anything you don't want, but can not purchase split orders from several different manufactures.

When purchasing from the manufacturer directly , they expect to have quantity orders on a regular interval, or they send you to the small quantity suppliers instead, where the prices are like buying from eBay, or worse, from Radio Shack :)

It's up to you.

Seems to me, you're starting to "look a gift horse in the mouth"
:)

BTW- thank you for the explaination of single/multi emitter, and mode.

Last edited:
With that said, let me explain, I'm not an idiot.! :)

If you have a desired Diode, from a select manufacturer, I can establish a business relationship with them too.

But while that's taking place, dancing around for maybe one week, to 10 days, for them to "check me out" and my financial standing, and me them, setting up letters of credit, so we both don't get screwed....

... The other quote(s) are expiring !

Most, if not all, manufacturers only give a set time-frame for the quote to remain valid, then, they can change their offer, and/or have different requirements. (quantity breaks, shipping, handling, no small quantity price break for sample quantities (10 or less)...etc...)

These Manufacturers deal in 10 million Euro/Dollar sales at a time, many per day, so something like a 1/4 million to 1/2 million Euro/Dollar sale is a gesture of Good Will, not telling me to go thru a distributor. :whistle::wtf:

If you'd rather I look to another manufacturer, I will, I don't care.
If they have the better diode , it could also cost much more...
they don't give them away you know... ! :D:banned:

This manufacturer's quote started January 10th, 2011
and ENDS 20 days after that
The clock is ticking, what would you like me to do FOR YOU.

Because ... that's what's more important.

Last edited:
Dont get me wrong ill be buying a 300mW & some 30mW 635's. I was only trying to second Grix on the lower powerd diode, and that beter beam characteristics is usefull for a wider market than laser pointers.:)

I was not trying to say your not intelligent just trying to better clarify with my quick mspaint skils:tinfoil:

Dont get me wrong ill be buying a 300mW & some 30mW 635's. I was only trying to second Grix on the lower powerd diode, and that beter beam characteristics is usefull for a wider market than laser pointers.:)

I was not trying to say your not intelligent just trying to better clarify with my quick mspaint skils:tinfoil:

I understand.
It seems the specs aren't that much off from each other... and when you
want to create a scanned hologram, the desired beam is a wide one, at
least, that's what I was told.

You're going to have to "correct" the beam with ANY diode, that's not <1mrad divergence
But at least this one has that extra 130mW without having to over-drive
the diode to get it, and potentially cause higher divergence mis-alignment.

I guess Grix agreed with this too, 'cause ...
he also voted to purchase this one. :) (poll results - so far...)

635nm 300mW TO18 case (5.6mm) 33 voted for it @ 78.57%
3zuli, anselm, Ash, Blord, Ezcal, FireMyLaser, goninanbl00d, Grix, hxdrummerxc, ideas, ix551, JaiNobeZ, jakeGT, jaredian, joeyss, Krogith, Leodahsan, madog, Mohrenberg, Mrcrouse, ndrew2505, noesc, paedu7, Pontiacg5, Silvershot, spectral532, styropyro, trever22, udanis, villalaser, weidmark, wolfhunter9154, Xtrm2Rick

Let's see if the manufacturer will let me purchase smaller amounts of the
ones people have also voted for, and give me a price break that will
take the "sting" out of getting something so otherwise expensive.

If this happens, because of talking with them for all these weeks, they
could allow this, and all of you may have one or two, of the others listed,
at pricing of at least 100 quantity, if not the 1000 or 3000 price breaks.

The next price break after the 3,000~5,000 mark is the 10,000, then
100,000 and of course, 500,000 and full million.

This is what manufacturers are use to dealing with when anyone makes
a request to buy directly from a manufacturer.

You should see how far these prices fall at the million piece purchase :)
SO much so, that manufacturer don't even discuss it, until they see, that the
funds in your bank account exists :D

Grix

I voted for it because it was the best out of the ones in the poll. But I doubt I have any use for it when I can't collaminate it.

btw: Both diodes may be multimode but the 170mW is much better in terms of the beam. A 150mW also exists, and it's even better. Here are the collamination and divergence results:
http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums...520G72-diode-properties?highlight=150mw+642nm

As you can see it can be used with a single lense, the 300mW can not.

Last edited:
I voted for it because it was the best out of the ones in the poll. But I doubt I have any use for it when I can't collaminate it.

btw: Both diodes may be multimode but the 170mW is much better in terms of the beam. A 150mW also exists, and it's even better. Here are the collamination and divergence results:
ML520G72 diode properties

As you can see it can be used with a single lense, the 300mW can not.

Isn't it also true, if someone wanted to use the laser for making a scanned hologram, they'd need a wide beam , such as this Single Element Multi-Mode Diode?... Some people do want a laser, for other than shining on a wall, and burning things. :)

:) ... the diode you just mentioned, if as you say it is, must also be higher in cost too... I can ask this manufacturer, before purchase of the ones listed in the poll, if they have any single element, single mode, higher mW than the one they do have, which already is single element/mode, (30mW 635nm)

If so, I can order smaller quantities and see if they will allow lower pricing based on the larger order I'm putting in with them, so, don't worry, I understand what you are all saying, (that was what I meant when I said, "I'm not an idiot" :) )
... I understand what you want, but you must also realize, if I can get the diode that is higher mW out, Single Element/Mode, it could cost more than the one listed in this poll, even at the 1,000 or 3,000 piece price.

And, next time, or even this time, if you really don't want this one, I can order from the manufacturer of your choice, IF they want to sell to me, without being one of their distributors, and saying I should buy from one instead.

Remember, this manufacturer is willing to make ME one of their distributors, which means, I can set pricing for all of you to allow 10 and 100 piece orders to be like 1000, and 3000 piece order pricing.

Manufacturers who already have distributors setup in the USA, won't need me to be one for them, and there goes the price breaks for all of you.

The one I'm dealing with now, is willing to create diodes with wavelengths most popular to customer requests, as well as other specs requested.
This is why I'll ask about the single element/mode higher power ones for you, Grix, and all the other members... for later.

Should I continue to deal with this original manufacturer for all of you?
Or let the quote expire, and start with another one?

anselm

Isn't it also true, if someone wanted to use the laser for making a scanned hologram, they'd need a wide beam , such as this Single Element Multi-Mode Diode?
IIRC, though I might be talking out of my ass here, for holography the best would be
single emitter single mode diode.
I was too lazy to check, but did you contact the projetor people over at the Photonlexicon about this as well?
They might be interested as well.

IIRC, though I might be talking out of my ass here, for holography the best would be
single emitter single mode diode.
I was too lazy to check, but did you contact the projetor people over at the Photonlexicon about this as well?
They might be interested as well.

I'm just repeating what I heard from someone else... when they do
scanned holography, they wanted a wide beam so more of the object is
scanned with each scan pass. I may have mis-understood they also want
single mode, besides single element.

Have you ever considered using a ball lens with the collimator?
I don't know about optics so I'm just asking this, hearing what ball lenses
can do.

Or, a ball lens + Iris Diaphragm + collimator combo

I didn't know about - Photonlexicon.com , maybe someone here
can mention it to them and create a link to this poll
I can't answer posts on both sites, it's just way too much to do for now :)

If someone here already has an account there, please mention this poll.

Attachments

• Ball Lens.jpg
    Ball Lens.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 199
  • Ball Lens 2.jpg
    Ball Lens 2.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:

Grix

Ball lenses won't work, you'll need lenses that corrects only one axis.

Also, I would PM Drlava if I were you. He has arranged lots of diode GB's, including the ones with the 150/170mW diodes I talked about. He can help you get connections in the world of diode manufacturers and good prices. If he can get a 150mW 635nm for 100 euros at just 50-100 quantity, who knows the price you'll get for several thousands! He can also channel this to photonlexicon easily.
He has an account on this forum:
http://laserpointerforums.com/members/drlava/

Ball lenses won't work, you'll need lenses that corrects only one axis.

Also, I would PM Drlava if I were you. He has arranged lots of diode GB's, including the ones with the 150/170mW diodes I talked about. He can help you get connections in the world of diode manufacturers and good prices. If he can get a 150mW 635nm for 100 euros at just 50-100 quantity, who knows the price you'll get for several thousands! He can also channel this to photonlexicon easily.
He has an account on this forum:
http://laserpointerforums.com/members/drlava/

This is good to know, but what about now, and the quote with this manufacturer?

Should I let the quote expire and start over again with Dr. Lava and another manufacturer?

What if Dr. Lava hasn't the time for it now? ...
he is usually very busy and hardly has time for things he's doing in this site.

Thing is, this manufacturer is willing to sell me any of their products at reduced pricing,
with this large order in place now... and that will change if the quote is allowed to expire.

I'd like to hear from more members about this, and not just the same 3 :)

can someone tell me how the specs, in the attached GIF, relates to the ones in my, and the other diodes, specs attached in this thread?

This company doesn't list actual divergence numbers as the others do...

Attachments

• question.GIF
    question.GIF
    7.6 KB · Views: 316
well, with 6mRAD divergence, at 1 meter away the dot would be 1.1cm. 10 meter away 5.6cm and so..
bad.. too bad.

edit: it don't says the axiz the divergence reffers. Look like the gif diode should have a 1.1cm diameter dot at 1m, and the diode you talking about something like a rectangle.

Last edited:
well, with 6mRAD divergence, at 1 meter away the dot would be 1.1cm. 10 meter away 5.6cm and so..
bad.. too bad.

Thank you Leodahsan
that's the diode in the CNI 635nm 300mW Laser Module shown attached

so, what's the mrad rating of the one I have to sell?

(side note: even though these specs from this modules diode,
as you say, are bad, it still gives a powerful beam :) )

Attachments

• Bad-Spec-Diode-PGL-III-635.pdf
    154 KB · Views: 324
  • bad-spec-diode-pointer.JPG
    bad-spec-diode-pointer.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Answer: "edit: see post 68"

Man.. I think we can't just "push" the actual LD technology. You will not get 300mW with 1mRAD never.. because our materials used on LD's don't allow that (yet). The key is waiting for newer processes to be discovered and more efficienter diodes to be made.
MY 0.02 cents.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.