Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Whats in your computer? Computer Builds! :D

Fountain pumps work pretty well. I used one in an old rig way back in the day before all-in-one kits. I used a fountain pump (pretty darn good, as well as quiet), copper gas tubing, a solid copper block from Danger Dan (still in the drawer here), and a big copper radiator. Unfortunately, I was stupid and assumed I didn't need to cool the rest of the case, so it affected my caps on the motherboard among other things. The electrolytic caps (not those nice solid ones they use now) started leaking and bloating, but fortunately I had upgraded before that ever became an issue (a friend had one explode and kill everything).

It's amazing how much louder everything appears to sound when you have a very quiet system. I was obsessively trying to curb the sound my PSU was making because it was the loudest sound I could hear from the machine.

Yup, and I was just about to explain what you said. The fountain pumps are actually superior to the commercial water cooling pumps for CPUs. The idea is to get the most amount of water through the CPU block as possible. Even with that, you are still going to have an easier time and superior results with an air cooler like the Noctua NH-D14, unless you are additionally conditioning your water supply with a chiller to 10c or so.
BTW, the Noctua is very quiet, actually quieter than the Corsair H80 or the H100. I found the pumps made a rattling noise when i tested them. That noise comes from air in the lines.
Air in a self contained water cooler = bad design/poor heat transfer!

Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.7GHz
Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6870
ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Z68
8GB G.SKILL RipjawsX 1600MHz DDR3
64GB Crucial M4
750GB Hitachi 7K1000.D
Seasonic S12II 620W PSU
Corsair H100
LG Blu-Ray Burner
NZXT Phantom w/ window side panel

4FhWpl.jpg

Great build man, Whats your temp with the H100?

Yup, and I was just about to explain what you said. The fountain pumps are actually superior to the commercial water cooling pumps for CPUs. The idea is to get the most amount of water through the CPU block as possible. Even with that, you are still going to have an easier time and superior results with an air cooler like the Noctua NH-D14, unless you are additionally conditioning your water supply with a chiller to 10c or so.
BTW, the Noctua is very quiet, actually quieter than the Corsair H80 or the H100. I found the pumps made a rattling noise when i tested them. That noise comes from air in the lines.

I do agree with you but water cooling and air cooling do have pros and cons. But im going custom. With a custom pump and everything.
I've seen some reviews about the swift tech and theyre only a few degrees cooler. And they also make it less bulkier!
My editing PC has water cooling and I love it. It makes it look nicer lol. And it also has a UV Glow to it..

Great build man, Whats your temp with the H100?

Around 34C idle and 55C load (Prime95). My friend has the Ivy bridge equivalent of my CPU (i5-3570k) OC'd to 4.7GHz as well and with the same cooler he gets 80C in Prime95.

Last edited:

Yeah, I gave up on the water cooling because it was just such a pain. My pump had to be submersed in a reservoir, which was not air-tight so I had to keep pouring more distilled water in there due to evaporation. Also the hardware made it a real pain to upgrade the components.

Your suggestions with the air cooling are spot on. Air cooling is so much better than it was for overclocking, and just about as quiet as the water cooling (what I really cared about). Rather than spending $100 on some fancy waterblock you could spend it on a better heatsink, and super silent fluid dynamic bearing fans.