Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Whats brighter to you? Bluray or Red? (405nm or 650nm)

Bluray or red?

• Bluray is brighter. (405nm)

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • Red is brighter. (650nm)

Votes: 28 58.3%

• Total voters

Eku

For me bluray is about four times brighter then red.

But for me.

Bed dot = Bright
Blueray dot = Brighter.

Red beam = decent
Blueray beam = HARDCORE

Red dot upclose = bright
Blueray dot upclose = MY EYES

Red dot faraway = tight and bright!
Blueray dot faraway = Blurred and wide

Last edited:

jayrob

Blu-ray is so strange...

To my eyes, the beam from a blu-ray is at least twice as bright as a red of the same power in the dark. But the dot from a red seems easily twice as bright as a blu-ray dot of the same power.
Jay

Jaseth

To me 650nm is clearly brighter, but because of the odd illusion of spillage which a blu-ray creates, the beam is as wide as a base-ball bat and therefore more visible in the dark. However when I look at each beam far up in the sky, the red is clearly more visible because the beam appears tighter, and in any lighted situation the blu-ray is almost invisible while the red is still really visible.
When hitting GITD, white or otherwise fluorescent material the blu-ray dot is brighter than the red - anywhere else the red dot beats blu-ray.
That blu-ray plays funny tricks on my vision.. so I will have to go with 650nm for overall brightness.

Blu-ray is so strange...

To my eyes, the beam from a blu-ray is at least twice as bright as a red of the same power in the dark. But the dot from a red seems easily twice as bright as a blu-ray dot of the same power.
Jay

That about sums up what i was gonna say :D

Blu-rays do seem much brighter then reds of the same output level. I'd like to see an actual blue laser with 300mW output someday and make the same comparison. Have wait on that for a few years.

Green however makes everything seem very dim!

Old topic is way old. Reds is brighter.

/thread

It's all opinion anyway, unless there is objective research somewhere on the topic.

I don't know if I can really comment on this, since the only bluray I have right now is an 8x, and the only red I have is a 16x... They're both at 300mA, but I'm sure the blu is at least double the power of the red.

I can't see the red's beam unless I'm in a fully darkened room, preferably with smoke, or on a humid night if I stare down the beam. The bluray on the other hand, can be seen in a fully lit room if I contrast it against a dark background.. In a darkened smoky room it's like a lightsaber and outside on a humid night it's very visible even from a 90 degree angle.

ohada

Blu-rays do seem much brighter then reds of the same output level. I'd like to see an actual blue laser with 300mW output someday and make the same comparison. Have wait on that for a few years.

Green however makes everything seem very dim!

Blue is much brighter (to me at least) than both red and BluRay, it's not very much dimmer than green.

For me red is much brighter than BluRay.

Violet seems brighter to me. I have two IgorT builds: One 405 and one 650. The 650 is about twice as powerful but isn't brighter than the 405.

I would love to vote on this, but I've only have a PHR blu ray, probably somewhere between 60 and 80mW, i have no idea really...

I've also owned a 283mW red, so this would not be a fair comparison.

I need a 6x, then I can vote.