Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What type of lighting do you use?

What type of light bulbs do you use in your home?

• Total voters

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
What type of light bulbs do you use in your home? :D You can select multiple options. :D

Blord

I used to have incandescent bulbs but they are all replace by LED lighting. The power savings are very important. I have saved a lot of money by changing it.

Btw in Belgium and other countries the shops don't sell high-power incandescent bulbs any more. The laws forbids the selling of 60/75/100 Watt bulb.

A few years back I threw out every incandescent bulb in the house and replaced them with compact florescents. In all that time only 1 or 2 went bad and burned out. Recently, even though it really was not necessary, I upgraded the old "warm" cfl to the new "daylight" cfl.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
We still use mostly incandescent in my house, although we do have some compact florescent bulbs in some places now.

Blord

I really like the LED's. Instant on and small. They are very affordable now. But the colour is sometimes off balance, not quite the right warm white.

I use incandescent for anything that gets frequent switching, CFLs for some overhead lights, and HID for the main living space. Mostly metal halide, but sometimes HPS or LPS. LEDs are nice, but dim. HID beats the piss out of them when it comes to $/lm and they have comparable efficiencies.

Fluorescent and HID only. My main problem with incandescent lamps is the heat generation - my house is too warm to begin with.

I can't tolerate fluorescent lighting with less than 6000k color temperature though, they annoy the hell out of my eyes.

I personally like 6500K 200W (incandescent analogue, I think it's actually 50W draw) fluorescents for day hours and LPS Sodium for night hours.

ARG

I use incandescent for all my lights, though they recently got banned in BC, so when I run out it's over to compact florescent lights.

AnthoT

I use incandescent. LED would be real cool but i just renovated and I'm not up for it again right now :crackup:

Benm

I use a mixed bag really. Lights that are on often and for a long time have 827 clfs mostly, unless they are on dimmers where i just use incandescants. I have some halogens in the hallway, reflector incandescents in the kitchen, and i think there is a plain old 60 watt incandescent in the loo ;)

I'm considering getting some leds for the dimmable fixtures though, but it's hard to find good, 2500-2700K white leds at a reasonable price.

Lase

I used to use Blacklight fluorescents all the time, it's why I have such terrible vision below 500nm.

Now it's either sunlight or my laptop screen.

Lase

Most lights are CFLs but I'm slowly going over to LED. The fllod lights in the back are LED along with the lights about the showers/bath tubs. The kitchen light is being upgraded to LED after I return to the US. I bought one Cree LR6 to try out and I liked it enough to upgrade the other 5. The light fixture about the dining table is going to get LED bulbs. I'd like to go with these. If they are cheap enough, I'd like to replace all my A19 bulbs with them. Two rooms are a PITA though. They have ceiling fans with the tiny candelabra base bulb sockets. That means I either have to deal with crappy dim incans or CFLs. Finding bright bulbs with that type of base is like searching for a needle in a haystack. I guess that s**tty design came around because of our crappy government. They should make sure there are decent replacements before phasing out stuff.

Benm

The phase out is might annoying indeed, and seems to be moot. In europe incandescents with a normal shape/size have been phased out for models 40 watts and over.

Energy prices alone would have driven people to more economical alternatives for lights that are actually on for a long period of time. I see no good reason why you should use incadenscents in the toilet, storage room or a shed that you only use a couple of hours a year.

Luckily the do have those halogen-bulb-in-a-bulb lamps though. Those are instant on and not that expensive to purchase.

Hiemal

I've got a combination of fluorescent and incandescent bulbs in my house. Mostly incandescent bulbs though. I usually try to pressure my mom into getting the more energy efficient ones but the price as she says doesn't justify spending 9 bucks more on a lightbulb...

One thing that does worry me about the light I have by my computer is the fact that a plastic cord I had lying there for a few days turned very yellow and crinkly... I think the bulb has some excessive UV output or something. :confused: