Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What operating system does your phone run on?

What OS does your phone run on?

• Android

Votes: 46 66.7%
  • iOS

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • Symbian

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Windows

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

ARG

Uhhhh. I don't even know what this OS is called. My phone is from 2001 ;)

Zeebit

I got a good ol Nokia phone specifically, N2730 on symbian OS.

I have an android it's a Samsung Galaxy S3 :D. I am a fan of windows but I HATE windows 8 it looks like a copy of iOS and I am not a huge fan of iOS way to simple for me :p I like to customize my devices :eek:

Ciaran

Yeah, I should probably rephrase what I just said. It's the mobile version of Windows, and Window 8 that I take a disliking towards. Also, I'm on Android too! I have the Galaxy Note 2! :)

I like android and iOS. Both get the job done.
Windows....not so much.
Very difficult to use Win8.

Benm

I don't fancy win 8, so that only leaves android or ios.

As ios is more or less linked with purchasing expensive apple hardware, i'll stick to android. IOS has its nice things too for mobiles, but considering the price tag i don't feel compelled to purchase and apple device for it.

Also, since android has become the dominant OS for smartphones (at least in europe) i think there will be more apps for adroid and fewer for ios in the long run, also worth considering.

I'm not a fan of windows.. I like it on a computer.. But that's as far as it goes, As a Web developer, I don't run it on any of my servers, It's crap. Way to resource intensive. Wouldn't run it on my phone either, I go Centos on my servers, and Android on my phone(Galaxy Nexus).

Things

Lol, don't think it takes convincing to avoid running windows on a server, you'd have to be insane! People get scared of the command line based interface, but it's very easy to get used to. Unless of course what you're dominantly serving is a windows only based program :p

I don't really see what the appeal for the iPhones are. Sure, they're great phones, but so stupidly overpriced! You're locked to all Apple's stupid software, which usually ends up costing even more money, all Apple's certified accessories etc.

Not to mention the integration of Android. If you use Chrome as your main OS on all your devices, they can ALL be synced so you have the same tabs, bookmarks etc available on all devices. To me that is friggin awesome, and also mega handy. You also don't need any stupid certified hardware, I could rig up a nice dock with all the features you could ever need, speakers, video output etc just by looking at the micro USB pin assignments. No special conversion or ID chips.

Of course to the average joe, being able to do all the hardware integration means nothing to them, but if they wanna blow $400 more on a phone because it has Apple written on it, their choice, in terms of actual phone hardware, the iPhones are way behind.

Lol, don't think it takes convincing to avoid running windows on a server, you'd have to be insane! People get scared of the command line based interface, but it's very easy to get used to. Unless of course what you're dominantly serving is a windows only based program :p

I don't really see what the appeal for the iPhones are. Sure, they're great phones, but so stupidly overpriced! You're locked to all Apple's stupid software, which usually ends up costing even more money, all Apple's certified accessories etc.

Not to mention the integration of Android. If you use Chrome as your main OS on all your devices, they can ALL be synced so you have the same tabs, bookmarks etc available on all devices. To me that is friggin awesome, and also mega handy. You also don't need any stupid certified hardware, I could rig up a nice dock with all the features you could ever need, speakers, video output etc just by looking at the micro USB pin assignments. No special conversion or ID chips.

Of course to the average joe, being able to do all the hardware integration means nothing to them, but if they wanna blow $400 more on a phone because it has Apple written on it, their choice, in terms of actual phone hardware, the iPhones are way behind.
Newbies try and do it all the time. They see shell and decide its all too complicated.

I despise Apple. I think they have some great products, and Ideas. But they control, Everything. Don't let you downgrade your OS, Don't let you customise your phone, Only let you install apps they want you to have, And they wonder why people do things like jailbreaking.

Benm

Considering customizatoin, android does have its limitations there too. For full control you still need to root the device. This isn't very complicated with the tools out there for popular models (a novice user can do it by simply following instructions), but its still a bit of a hurdle.

I like windows as a PC operating system, and would at the moment consider nothing else. For my phone and tablet, its android though. I've never seen an iphone or ipad do something that my devices cannot that would justify the extra cost.

mwang

I like iOS jailbroken, it's simple, yet fully customizable to whatever you want it to look like. :) Regular iOS is too bland for me though.

jArdi

For a computer, I use Windows 7, Ubuntu, and Backtrack :)
I code a lot so if its a windows prog im making, of course ill use windows. but if im doing something with hardware programming, ubuntu. And of course, (for those who know what it is) backtrack for all my reverse engineering and penetration needs :D
For a phone, hands down Android - which is still technically linux ;)

EDIT:
oh yeah, android app dev is also done on windows..

Last edited:
2 tin cans & some string. The string has a tag that says "VERIZON " on it!!!! J/K

PS. Nice Avatar. jArdi. Very colorful!!

Last edited: